Windows 10: Screen flickers badly ONLY in Safe Mode

Discus and support Screen flickers badly ONLY in Safe Mode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My display works wonderfully normally but if I boot into Safe Mode it flickers so wildly I cannot see hardly anything nor click on anything. If I bring... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by bennetpd, Jun 29, 2019.

1. bennetpd Win User

Screen flickers badly ONLY in Safe Mode

My display works wonderfully normally but if I boot into Safe Mode it flickers so wildly I cannot see hardly anything nor click on anything. If I bring up the Task Manager it does not flicker but if within Task Manager I click File - New task then in the Create New Task window the Open text box field flickers so badly I cannot type in the box. Of note when I 1st boot into Safe Mode the box to enter my password does not show up half the time & I have to keep rebooting until it does show up so I can type my password in. Once I type my password & it comes up to the desktop the screen flickers wildly as mentioned above.

Running Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates on an Alienware 17 R3. All video drivers are up to date (Intel HD & Nvidia). I have not had the need to boot into Safe Mode before now so I don't know when the problem started.

Thanks for your help!

:)

bennetpd, Jun 29, 2019

2. Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Screen flickering in safe mode help!

Hi Yasmeentq,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your query. I suggest you to follow the steps to get out of safe mode.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type msconfig

• In msconfig > Boot tab >
      Boot Options > uncheck Safe Boot > APPLY / OK.

Screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by incompatible apps or display drivers. I suggest you to refer to the article below and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/troubleshoot-screen-flickering

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

Hi Adhio,

Screen flickering can be caused by hardware or application issue.

To better assist you, please answer the following questions:

• Is the issue only happening in Safe Mode?
    • Have you made any changes on your device prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest following the troubleshooting steps on this article:

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10
    to resolve screen flickering issues on Windows 10.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Arjay Dom, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Screen flickers badly ONLY in Safe Mode - Similar Threads - Screen flickers badly

2. Screen flickering in normal startup and safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen flickering in normal startup and safe mode: Hi,My screen started flickering after a Windows update. It does not seem like an app problem because my task manager flickers. I have tried uninstalling my display adaptors in safe mode and even in a normal start-up. My screen is still flickering even after restart. I'm using...
  3. Screen flickering in normal startup and safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen flickering in normal startup and safe mode: Hi,My screen started flickering after a Windows update. It does not seem like an app problem because my task manager flickers. I have tried uninstalling my display adaptors in safe mode and even in a normal start-up. My screen is still flickering even after restart. I'm using...
  4. ANNOYING WIN10 FLICKERING SCREEN - BUT ONLY IN SETTINGS MODE

ANNOYING WIN10 FLICKERING SCREEN - BUT ONLY IN SETTINGS MODE: I have a flickering screen on my Settings menu - only on this one, no others. I have an admittedly "old" by today's standards refurbished tower machine and equally-old Dell monitor running Windows 10 Win11 won't work on this hardware, but everything works fine apart from the...
  5. Blue screen loop / safe mode only

Blue screen loop / safe mode only: Hello there, randomly out of the blue my windows 10 pc has been saying ' your device has ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you ' then it runs an 'automatic repair' and 'diagnoses my PC' but then redirects me to an automatic repair screen saying my pc...
  6. Blue screen loop / safe mode only

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blue screen loop / safe mode only: Hello there, randomly out of the blue my windows 10 pc has been saying ' your device has ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you ' then it runs an 'automatic repair' and 'diagnoses my PC' but then redirects me to an automatic repair screen saying my pc...
  7. Blue screen loop / safe mode only

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Windows 10 Screen Flickering in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Screen Flickering in Safe Mode: Hi, My screen has been continually flickering, and I haven't been able to figure out anything. I watched many videos and read the Microsoft support page, but they all required me to open the start menu, which I can't, because either it doesn't respond, or the screen...
  9. Taskbar flickering and black screen in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar flickering and black screen in Safe Mode: Hi, i accidentally deleted all my user profiles and now i cant login to my laptop. Says "user profile cannot be loaded". So i decided to open in safe mode and when i do i can login but its a black screen with a flickering taskbar and i cant click anything I have windows 10...
  10. Black Screen in Safe Mode only!

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen in Safe Mode only!: I am having trouble getting into safe mode, after I type my password, I get a black screen with nothing on it, the screen is lit up but black. It works in normal mode just not Safe Mode, I Googled 'Windows 10 Safe Mode black screen' but only results show telling you to go...