Windows 10: Screen Flickers when opening some apps

Discus and support Screen Flickers when opening some apps in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently got an old LCD monitor that I'm using as a second monitor and I used a VGA to DVI adapter to connect to my PC and when I open some apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Nikhil Alapati, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Screen Flickers when opening some apps

I recently got an old LCD monitor that I'm using as a second monitor and I used a VGA to DVI adapter to connect to my PC and when I open some apps WhatsApp, zoom the main monitor screen flickers idk why maybe it's trying to match the refresh rate of the other monitor and I don't know if it's going to damage my video card

:)

Nikhil Alapati, Apr 27, 2020
  2. AlanR246 Win User

Screen flicker and hangup on desktop screen

The short term fix for me was to roll back to Windows 7. I did not have the time to work through the issues but will try again in a week or so. I had a call in to the Microsoft Answer Desk and got a call back after I rolled back. Pasted below are the suggestions
    to attempt find the problem. In my case, I suspect Norton was the culprit since that was the common product on both my desktops and I was not seeing a flicker in Task Manager window.

From the Microsoft Answer Desk:

Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn't open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:
    The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues - if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.
    Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

AlanR246, Apr 27, 2020
  3. Screen flickering in safe mode help!

Hi Yasmeentq,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your query. I suggest you to follow the steps to get out of safe mode.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type msconfig

• In msconfig > Boot tab >
      Boot Options > uncheck Safe Boot > APPLY / OK.

Screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by incompatible apps or display drivers. I suggest you to refer to the article below and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/troubleshoot-screen-flickering

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Apr 27, 2020
  4. Screen Flickers when opening some apps

Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Apr 27, 2020
Thema:

Screen Flickers when opening some apps

1. Screen Flickers when opening some apps - Similar Threads - Screen Flickers opening

2. Have an issue when opening search and some apps and there some black strips come and flicker.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Have an issue when opening search and some apps and there some black strips come and flicker.: Hello, Whenever I use my search bar some graphical error pops up as shown in the image attached, it also comes with some other apps like when using kmplayer the strips flicker in the corners. This started happening after I reinstalled my windows....
  3. Have an issue when opening search and some apps and there some black strips come and flicker.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Have an issue when opening search and some apps and there some black strips come and flicker.: Hello, Whenever I use my search bar some graphical error pops up as shown in the image attached, it also comes with some other apps like when using kmplayer the strips flicker in the corners. This started happening after I reinstalled my windows....
  4. Have an issue when opening search and some apps and there some black strips come and flicker.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering

Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering: My computer seems possessed. Apps will open, then close in random succession. There is a glowing halo bottom center of the screen above the task bar. It appears to be primarily opening the search tool but will also open random files. When the apps are opening and closing the...
  6. Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering: My computer seems possessed. Apps will open, then close in random succession. There is a glowing halo bottom center of the screen above the task bar. It appears to be primarily opening the search tool but will also open random files. When the apps are opening and closing the...
  7. Screen Brightness reaches 100% when some app is opened.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Brightness reaches 100% when some app is opened.: I am using a MSI notebook .I recently updated to windows 11 ,and facing few issues while using some applications-- My Screen Brightness reaches 100% which is really annoying at night.I tried turning auto brightness off but there's no such options available, and neither in...
  8. Screen Brightness reaches 100% when some app is opened.

Screen Brightness reaches 100% when some app is opened.: I am using a MSI notebook .I recently updated to windows 11 ,and facing few issues while using some applications-- My Screen Brightness reaches 100% which is really annoying at night.I tried turning auto brightness off but there's no such options available, and neither in...
  9. when opening an app, the app will flicker for a second then won't open on windows 10

when opening an app, the app will flicker for a second then won't open on windows 10: I've tried every troubleshooting thing possible and still no luck. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-opening-an-app-the-app-will-flicker-for-a/c20a1634-b0e8-45c1-9864-6f7c42107db3
  10. Screen Flickering when in app's fullscreen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen Flickering when in app's fullscreen: Hi, I'm on a Lenovo L3 15IML05 laptop, and the screen always flickers when i go fullscreen.I believe the problem is with the Intel graphics driver because when i uninstall the device, the problem no longer exists while videos play in low fps/windows animation low fps Fyi, its...