Windows 10: Screen freezes but mouse and sound still work

Discus and support Screen freezes but mouse and sound still work in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have been having this issue for about a week now. Randomly, usually when gaming, my screen would freeze but my sound continues to be normal and I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TeckNein, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Screen freezes but mouse and sound still work

I have been having this issue for about a week now. Randomly, usually when gaming, my screen would freeze but my sound continues to be normal and I can move my mouse around. But I can't click on anything, alt+tab, or ctrl+alt+del. The only thing I can do is hold my power button to shut down my computer. It usually happens when I alt+tab from the game even though it is in borderless. I did a restore to before this happened but it still occurs. I also reinstalled my graphics drivers and ran sfc /scannow. If anyone could help me with this please do.

submitted by /u/TeckNein
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TeckNein, Jan 15, 2021

2. Computer and mouse freeze

Hi

There are several reasons that could have cause your keyboard and mouse to freeze. To know more about the issue, we will ask some questions to help us:

• Were there recent changes made before the issue occurred?
    • What are the steps that you've done so far to know where the issue is coming from?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this article:
    Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows
    for us to check all setting needed to help us in resolving your issue.

Let us know about the update.

Kristine Som, Jan 15, 2021
  3. Jay Jap Win User
    Bluetooth mouse still freezes

Hello,

There are multiple possibilities why a Bluetooth mouse could act up. To assist you with your concern, you can try these following steps:

Method 1:

Check if the Bluetooth mouse and its Bluetooth adapter are working properly.

• Try installing fresh new batteries.
    • Try to unplug the Bluetooth adapter of your mouse and plug it back in.
    • Try connecting the Bluetooth adapter of your mouse to a different USB port.
    • Try to remove objects that can interfere with the signal of your Bluetooth adapter and mouse.

Method 2:

Check if you have installed all the updates on your computer. There are chances that you might get Bluetooth drivers through update:

• Go to the Start screen.
    • Type Windows update and click on it from the list of results.
    • Click on Check for updates on the left pane in the new window.

We also suggest that you try to contact the manufacturer of the Bluetooth mouse for other options.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Jan 15, 2021
  4. Zeel Win User

Screen freezes but mouse and sound still work

Screen freezing but sound continues

Thanks for the tip there. I've now udated the drivers for my sound card. Unfortunately it didn't help - still the occasional freeze. But that was well worth trying definitely.

So a few things I've done:

• Updated graphics card drivers
    • Checked for viruses
    • Put RAM in dual channel configuration (both slots 2 and 4, and 1 and 3)
    • Used just one (4GB) stick of RAM at a time - both sticks
    • Updated sound card drivers
    • Run CCleaner
    • Cleaned out any dust from inside the case

All good ideas, but none have helped unfortunately. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be eager to hear. If not - the tips so far have been much appreciated. Thank you for those. I could look around for an old graphics card somewhere just to try out, see if that helps. I don't mind replacing that (or any other component), but just want to know which one to replace first! Screen freezes but mouse and sound still work :)

Thema:

Screen freezes but mouse and sound still work

1. Screen freezes but mouse and sound still work - Similar Threads - Screen freezes mouse

2. Windows 11 - black screen freezing but sounds still working - Crashes to BSODv

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - black screen freezing but sounds still working - Crashes to BSODv: Hi, I randomly get a black screen crash where everything is unresponsive but I still hear music if I am gaming. Sometimes I crash when I am using Microsoft Edge. It is quite random.The BSOD lists win32kfull.sys as the fault.I had a look Event Viewer and the last reported...
  3. Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works: I have an MSI laptop running Windows 10 and it's been working great until a couple of weeks ago. I have my laptop screen and a separate monitor connected via an HDMI cable. The problem is, both my displays freeze up after a random amount of time, however, I know it's only the...
  4. Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works: I have an MSI laptop running Windows 10 and it's been working great until a couple of weeks ago. I have my laptop screen and a separate monitor connected via an HDMI cable. The problem is, both my displays freeze up after a random amount of time, however, I know it's only the...
  5. Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working: Hi, I'm experiencing Windows 10 freezes on the 1st startup, however, the mouse cursor is still working but unable to click anything and the PC was fine on working for few hours after the restart by pressing the reset button.It happened since early October and it was fine...
  7. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working: Hi, I'm experiencing Windows 10 freezes on the 1st startup, however, the mouse cursor is still working but unable to click anything and the PC was fine on working for few hours after the restart by pressing the reset button.It happened since early October and it was fine...
  8. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Screen freeze, but mouse and applications still works

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen freeze, but mouse and applications still works: Randomly, when exiting from a video in full screen i.e. Youtube, Twitch, etc. while playing games, the screen will "freeze." The mouse still works, I can move it around and interact with the application; I can also see the mouse move. The applications themselves still...
  10. windows freezes but mouse still works

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows freezes but mouse still works: so im doing this for my brother. so yesterday he opened his computer and then it said Toshiba like it always has and then when the screen turned to the lock screen nothing showed up except his lock screen background and his mouse whatever button you pressed nothing happened...