Windows 10: Screen Freezes for no apparent reason.

Discus and support Screen Freezes for no apparent reason. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am experiencing freezing of my Windows 10 laptop for no apparent reason when in the middle of, say, viewing a website. When this occurs the mouse or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GordonTate, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Screen Freezes for no apparent reason.

I am experiencing freezing of my Windows 10 laptop for no apparent reason when in the middle of, say, viewing a website. When this occurs the mouse or touchpad nor anything on the keyboard will function. To get the laptop, which is new, running again necessitates pressing the power button to shut down prior to switching back on.

The following "Problem Signature" information is no help to me. Can anyone assist please or is it something that necessitates returning the laptop to the manufacturer Acer?

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    Code: 124
    Parameter 1: 7
    Parameter 2: ffff9f8acbb83028
    Parameter 3: 0
    Parameter 4: 0
    OS version: 10_0_17134
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1
    OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 2057

:)

GordonTate, Jan 10, 2019
  2. Tim Heise Win User

Windows 10 freezes up for no apparent reason.

To the group:

My PC, running windows 10, freezes for no apparent reason. The mouse pointer freezes, and the Task Manager can not be opened using the Ctrl+Alt+Del key combination; it simply does nothing. The Event Viewer found in Administrative Tools reveals a
    critical error with the "kernel power." What is this? Could this be a hardware issue? The mainboard is a Gigabyte H170N-WiFi, CPU a Intel i5@2.70Mhz, and SanDisk SSD. All hardware, except for keyboard, is new(less than three months. Does anyone else have
    issues with all these? Thanks.

--Tim

Tim Heise, Jan 10, 2019
  3. Frequent bluescreens with no apparent reason

Hi Rutger,

In most cases, this error is caused by corrupted system files. For us to better assist you, we'll be needing additional information:

• Is there a stop code displayed when you're experiencing the blue screen error?
    • Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we recommend that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided on this
    article. It contains information and resolution about blue screen errors.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jan 10, 2019
  4. xprt007 Win User

Screen Freezes for no apparent reason.

What causes Windows to freeze for no apparent reason?

Hi

Thank you for responding.

I have been using one whose exact name somehow disappeared from the options after coming to the Control Settings, saw & selected Samsung Optimized ( ... for balancing performance & power consumption on Samsung computers), which I thought I had.

For some reason, after that I no longer have the option which was selected before, whose name I had not noted.

"Balanced" is there, though.

You say: "If it's high, I suggest using Balanced."

Would you consider it better than this Samsung Optimized Option? I had assumed this uses less consumption.

Regarding the recommended suggestions in this article I can say I basically have them already fulfilled where
    possible.

• I repeatedly mention above ALL current Windows Updates, drivers & installed programs are up-to-date & updates are constantly installed as soon as they are available (iObit Driver Booster & Glary Utilities Software Updator Pro ... do a good job).
      For Windows Updates, I do check every other day.
    • Restart your PC and open only the apps you need: I have no reason to believe this is an issue, esp. considering the programs mostly in use all the time are Firefox, Chrome, MS Word, Audials, etc, which I have always had. The few others in use at
      the time of freezing, are used frequently, though not necessarily at the same time.
    • With the 8GB RAM, the couple of times I have had the freezing, no reason to believe it has been an issue. Currently, with Firefox with several tabs open, with Chrome (streaming video, etc) around 46% - 51% and fluctuating at most to 65% in last
      hour for a few moments & if so, certainly NOT at the time of freezing. I have never had freezing even when using Pinnacle Studio 18 Ultimate or any other video or graphic editor or when converting video, although the memory use goes up, but it never gets critical
      enough. If I notice that in that case, especially with video rendering/conversion, I have closed video streaming or some one or so processes. None of those process was running though, the times it has frozen.
    • Disk space not an issue with 60GB free on system disk
    • Restoration point: if I knew some recent change was responsible, it would make sense. Each time freezing has come up, it seems to be out of the blue. If I force a shutdown & then power up, the notebook functions 100% normally for the next 4, 5,
      6 weeks as if nothing happened before, no Windows error notification, etc ... until it freezes again out of the blue. If it's caused by some process/program I had on at the time, it would freeze again within days, because I use most of those program like those
      running last time all the time or at most every few days
    • Disabling unnecessary start-up programs: this has always been religiously enforced. Currently, only Emsisoft antivirus, Javascript Update scheduler, Realtek camera & Windows Defender (set to occasionally scan) enabled, 10 others disabled.
    • Check for and remove viruses and malware: according to Emsisoft AV, Malwarebytes free, Windows Defender, machine clean, according to recent scans
    • Check for corrupted Windows system files: Just run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth, result:
      No component store corruption detected.

I assume I do not have to run RestoreHealth ...

The last time mentioned above I run sfc /scannow ... it found nothing bad, running it again the last hour, ... result:
      "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
    • Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows: I will consider this, but I think with the 8GB RAM it's not an issue, especially the time I remember it freezing, memory use was probably not too high based on the programs running at the time,
      unless there was a sudden & inexplicable memory surge I did not notice, immediately followed by freezing.
    • One Drive: is one thing I always have disabled or at least never use, never configured it.
    • Reset PC: I think either shortly before the first freezing reported in original post or some time after, I had for some unconnected reason reset the PC.
    In any case, whatever changes I make, it's hard to say whether they have helped unless it does not freeze in the same way after 2, 3 months or probably more to be sure. The couple of times it has frozen, as repeatedly mentioned has happened after many weeks
    apart.

Regards

xprt007, Jan 10, 2019
Thema:

Screen Freezes for no apparent reason.

1. Screen Freezes for no apparent reason. - Similar Threads - Screen Freezes apparent

2. Lost audio file for no apparent reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost audio file for no apparent reason: I made a cool melody for one of my songs, I then saved it as a wav file. I woke up the next day and it had disappeared from the folder I was saving it in.So I opened up the media player app and I found the audio clip. But when I tried to listen to it I got this message, "We...
  3. Icons that disappear for no apparent reason

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons that disappear for no apparent reason: Occasionally I run into this problem where shortcut icons lose their custom icon on the desktop and it is replaced with a Windows generic icon. Example: I just installed Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office. It had a custom Acronis icon when it was installed. A few days later...
  4. Multiple BSOD with no apparent reason

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSOD with no apparent reason: Hi, recently my PC encounters more and more BSODFirst BSOD was "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" that happened dozens of timesThan new code "KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION" just onceAnd the latest one "ATTEMPTED_WRITEN_TO_READONLY_MEMORY"I have reinstalled my GPU driver after...
  5. Windows keeps freezing for no apparent reason

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps freezing for no apparent reason: I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 today. I put it on a USB, wiped every drive clean, and reinstalled Windows on my SSD. However, the system keeps freezing at random, and I have no idea why. It doesn’t seem to be linked to any program running. I’ll just be doing...
  6. Wifi quit working for no apparent reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wifi quit working for no apparent reason: My wifi just randomly **** the bed and quit working on my laptop for no apparent reason. I used the internet with no problem and then a few hours later—nothing. I did not make any changes at all. The wifi is working on my phone, and other laptops in the house. The little...
  7. Freezing games on PC for no apparent reason?

Freezing games on PC for no apparent reason?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] My hardware: i5 4670k á 4,4ghz (has been running so stable for years) Asus Strix GTX 1060 MSI Z87-G45 gaming motherboard 16GB G.Skill DDR3 Ram The games will have a still image after a short time and then switch...
  8. Laptop freezes for no apparent reason. Only way to restart it is by a hard reset.

Laptop freezes for no apparent reason. Only way to restart it is by a hard reset.: Laptop freezes every few minutes. Nothing except a hard reset gets it going again. Gigabyte Sabre i7. Still under warranty, returned twice to Loot for repairs. They insist it is working properly. 7 hard resets in the last 4 hours of use. Can you assist?...
  9. Frequent System freeze for no apparent reasons

Frequent System freeze for no apparent reasons: Hello all, I am running insane! My old custom build PC has become completely unreliable, and very often freezes when left idle for a while. This has never happened, but now it is frequent... I have checked the RAM sticks, and changed two that were possibly damaged. But the...
  10. Sound Randomly Stops For No Apparent Reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Randomly Stops For No Apparent Reason: My computer randomly updated to the latest version last night without any prior warning. Luckily, I didn't have anything important open at the time. When I got on, I opened Spotify like I normally do and started my music. A few seconds into the first song, the audio just cuts...