Windows 10: Screen freezing but sound continues

Discus and support Screen freezing but sound continues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Over the past week or so I'm getting occasional screen freezes - at first it was while gaming (World of Warcraft), but I'm finding the same thing can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zeel, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Zeel Win User

Screen freezing but sound continues

Over the past week or so I'm getting occasional screen freezes - at first it was while gaming (World of Warcraft), but I'm finding the same thing can occur when I'm only using a web browser (Firefox), without WoW running at all.

Today this happened while I was watching a Youtube video in Firefox, and I noticed that - while the screen was frozen and unresponsive (the video itself froze, cursor was there but with blue circle and nothing responded, couldn't ctrl+alt+del to get to task manager, etc.) - the sound from the video kept going. In the end, as with other freezes, I had to hard reset by holding down the PC's power button.

Does anyone have advice on what might be causing this? Maybe it's a hardware issue - graphics card perhaps, but I'm not sure how to diagnose it. I've made sure the drivers are up to date, and likewise with Windows updates. Haven't had any recent hardware changes at all.

Although I'm not getting a BSOD, I've run the diagnostic tool from that sub-forum, and zipped and uploaded the results here. Could someone possibly take a quick look and see if anything stands out, or give me some pointers on what to look for myself?

Thanks.

Sami

SAMI-PC-21_11_2016_195542_54.zip

:)

2. stevenly Win User

dpc watchdog violation

im using an asus x555L laptop and recently ive been getting multiple crashes where it suddenly freezes and continues to make a bussing sound until a blue screen shows with error code: DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION. Are there any fixes to this problem?

stevenly, Nov 20, 2016
  3. neukenuk Win User
    BBC iplayer and the N95

Does anyone have streaming problems with iPlayer where picture freezes, but the sound continues?

neukenuk, Nov 20, 2016
  4. Screen freezing but sound continues

Hi, Zeel - welcome aboard.. *Thumbs

- could you fill out your system specifications, please..
    - it may provide clues as to the source of your problem..

- cheers!*Wink

BugMeister, Nov 21, 2016
  5. Zeel Win User
    Hello BugMeister,

Yes of course - that would help wouldn't it! I've filled out as much as I can at the moment, but please let me know if there's anything important missing. I could open the case up and see who manufacutred my other hard drive for example.

6. Askboy4 Win User
    scan your pc with windows defender, after try to detect some screen problems from control panel

Askboy4, Nov 21, 2016
  7. Zeel Win User
    I've run a full scan with Windows Defender already - no issues there. But what do you mean by using Control Panel to detect screen problems? I'd typically just go there to change resolutions or update drivers etc.

8. Screen freezing but sound continues

Have a look at your Reliability History and if there are any red flags,then view the Tech Details and it should give you sufficient info to find an answer.Also,if possible,download WHOCRASHED,from resplendence,com,it too will give details about the problem.Freezing is nearly always a problem with the display adapter and may require driver replacement.

joeandmarg0, Nov 22, 2016
  9. your graphics card is possibly being stressed by the game - or by the demands being made on it, generally..
    - it might be time to get an upgrade..??

- doesn't need to be expensive, just a wee bit more advanced..
    - something with a bit more on-board GFX RAM, maybe (say 4GB or better still, 8GB)

BugMeister, Nov 22, 2016
  10. Zeel Win User
    Thank you very much for the information guys. I didn't know about the View Reliability History function in Control Panel. I've been in there now and had a look around - there are quite a lot of Critical Events of the form "Windows stopped working" and "Windows was not not properly shut down", which will be me having to hard restart my PC when the screen freezes. No technical details for these though.

However, there are a couple of hardware errors, and Windows errors of the form "Shut down unexpectedly" which do have some techncial details.

For example, for the hardware errors:

For Windows shutdown errors:

I'm still not able to make much sense of these unfortunately. Does anyone know how to interpret them? I'll see what I can find out online about doing so - and will try the whocrashed utility that joeandmarg0 mentioned too, thank you.

I've had the same graphics card for the past three years, and not much has changed there or in terms of the games I'm playing - and in any event these freezes can still occur when there's no game running. So it's hopefully not an issue with the card being pushed too hard. I've also updated the drivers for it, but this didn't help.

However, it's likely this is still a graphics card issue as you guys say - I'll try everything I can with it and, if nothing else works, can always get a new one. Something at the same spec won't be costly.

11. Borg 386 Win User
    I had this problem a couple years back, any video would freeze, sound would continue & had to reboot the PC the same way. I looked at my graphics card but could not find a problem.

The culprit for me turned out to be the new RAM I had installed 1 week back. As a test, I swapped the new out for the old sticks & the problem went away. The defective sticks were returned, the new ones arrived & once installed, no more problems with the video. It might be worth checking out your memory, it might have gone bad.

If you have some spare memory lying around that you know is good, you could try swapping it out & see if that fixes the problem.

Hopefully this helps & the problem isn't something deeper set.

Borg 386, Nov 22, 2016
  12. Zeel Win User
    Hey that's great - thanks very much. My RAM is on two 4GB sticks, so I could always try running with just one of them at a time for a while, see if that helps. If so, the other stick is suspect.

I did run a Windows Memory Diagnostic just there and it didn't turn anything up, but it's probably not in-depth enough.

Thanks again for the tip about RAM. That sounds promising, especially since you had what sounds like the same issue yourself.

13. Borg 386 Win User

I can't remember for sure, but I believe I ran a diag on the RAM & it didn't show anything (if I remember correctly). Nonetheless, while doing some investigating on the prob I found a couple articles relating to the vid freeze problem & it being linked to the RAM.

One thing I did note was when the video would freeze, whatever vid I was watching at the time, it would always be at about the same point it froze the last time. I would reboot, run the vid again & at about the same point it froze last time, it happened again.

Here's hoping this helps you out & it's something simple like that.

Borg 386, Nov 22, 2016
  14. Hi, Zeel *Smile
    - could you confirm your Mother-Board details, I can't trace a Z84 version - did you mean Z87 (?)

BugMeister, Nov 23, 2016
  15. Zeel Win User
    Ack sorry yes - Z87 Pro4.

Thema:

1. Screen freezing but sound continues - Similar Threads - Screen freezing sound

2. Continuous black screen freezes W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Continuous black screen freezes W11: Hi!For the past 2 months I've had issues with my pc freezing and getting a black screen. Audio continues for a split second but dies down quickly. It happens both during regular internet browsing aswell as gaming, mostly happens when I'm playing League of Legends. Restarting...
  3. Continuous black screen freezes W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Continuous black screen freezes W11: Hi!For the past 2 months I've had issues with my pc freezing and getting a black screen. Audio continues for a split second but dies down quickly. It happens both during regular internet browsing aswell as gaming, mostly happens when I'm playing League of Legends. Restarting...
  4. Windows 10 Buzzing Sound/Freezing Screen then continue to act normal

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Buzzing Sound/Freezing Screen then continue to act normal: Hey everybody!Let me explain what is happening: I got my new computer like 3 weeks ago. I installed the drivers, provided by the manufacturer. After using my lap top for like 4-5 hours, when watching videos or playing games, the screen freezes while a buzzing sound goes on,...
  5. continuous loading sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    continuous loading sound: My pc quite much more often than not has a loading sound even after I have had it on for awhile. Is this sound normal or not? If not, what would be the tech issue and is there a way to fix it?...
  6. Windows 10 Freezes, Sound continues, Graphics Card defective?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Freezes, Sound continues, Graphics Card defective?: Hello, I've been having this issue since 1 year and am not able to fix it. 2 screen connected. The PCs freezes. Both screens display the average color that is currently displayed on each of them. No BSOD. The sound continues for quite some time until the comp fully gives...
  7. Computer Black Screens randomly but sound continues.

Computer Black Screens randomly but sound continues.: Description A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly. Problem signature Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Code: 193 Parameter 1: 80f Parameter 2: ffffffffc0000017 Parameter 3: 0 Parameter 4: 0 OS version: 10_0_18363 Service Pack: 0_0 Product:...
  8. Screen freezes and begins to brighten, sound continues

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen freezes and begins to brighten, sound continues: so i just signed up to ask for help with this problem as i couldn't find anyone having the same issue. --- the problem?: the screen occasionally freezes (all movement on it stops but sound continues like there's no freeze), after freezing the screen starts getting brighter...
  9. Continuous Screen Freeze/Black Screen problems

Continuous Screen Freeze/Black Screen problems: By that I mean on a random moment my PC may completely freeze and also the music I may hear and because it freezes it goes like bzzzzzzz... I decided to completely format my PC so it would fix but unfortunately it did not. Do any of you guys know why this happen or if you...
  10. Continuous sound notification

Continuous sound notification: After the last update my computer is continuously sound notifying me of something opening then closing. I have not been able to determine what it is. I have restarted my computer. I have had to turn my volume down to avoid hearing the constant sound....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 stope code dpc watchdog violation asus x555 l