Windows 10: Screen goes black but I see cursor arrow

Discus and support Screen goes black but I see cursor arrow in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My laptop looked normal with the background photo. I clicked in the box to log in and the whole screen went black except I can see the cursor arrow.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PatriciaJackson8, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Screen goes black but I see cursor arrow

My laptop looked normal with the background photo. I clicked in the box to log in and the whole screen went black except I can see the cursor arrow. CTRL +Alt + delete does absolutely nothing. No other key combination does anything. I can't shut it down or anything. If I leave the computer alone a while the screen background comes back and it looks normal, then I click anywhere on the screen and it goes black again. I can access absolutely nothing no matter what keys I press, it just goes black. All I can do is unplug it and let it die. Can this be fixed?

:)

PatriciaJackson8, Oct 16, 2020
  2. Starborn Win User

Windows goes to Black Screen, no cursor

Mine will not show a cursor at all. Its just a black screen without a cursor.

Starborn, Oct 16, 2020
  3. JamesUK Win User
    Windows goes to Black Screen, no cursor

Many thanks for this!

I'd exhausted every solution posted here, and when I read your post, I was initially skeptical that your suggestion would have worked... but knowing that the desktop would appear when I put the laptop into Sleep / Hibernation and then brought it out again, I figured I'd have nothing to lose to try your suggestion...

Anyway, for those trying everything, try this simple (possible) fix above from Beastmode. Worked for me, and has removed the problem. Stable for a number of days too. I can't believe it's just a co-incidence because I must have done tens of reboots trying things, and the desktop came up perfectly immediately having done the above.

I'll certainly try this if (when!) it goes black again. ;-)

(Signed up just to post that this worked for me)

Regards

James

JamesUK, Oct 16, 2020
  4. BetsyCole Win User

Screen goes black but I see cursor arrow

Black screen with blinking cursor

I run Windows 10 and have a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. I can hit Control, Alt, Delete, and it reboots momentarily, show the Dell logo and F2 Setup anf F12 Boot Options in the lower right corner. Regardless of what key
    I hit, it goes right back to the Black screen w/ cursor. I can't seem to do anything. Any suggestions?

BetsyCole, Oct 16, 2020
Thema:

Screen goes black but I see cursor arrow

1. Screen goes black but I see cursor arrow - Similar Threads - Screen goes black

2. I login as usual but then it goes to a black screen with my mouse cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I login as usual but then it goes to a black screen with my mouse cursor: My mouse cursor is just sitting there on my screen, it can be moved but it cant do anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-login-as-usual-but-then-it-goes-to-a-black/9e697265-43c4-4563-9828-e25fd76803d2
  3. I login as usual but then it goes to a black screen with my mouse cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I login as usual but then it goes to a black screen with my mouse cursor: My mouse cursor is just sitting there on my screen, it can be moved but it cant do anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-login-as-usual-but-then-it-goes-to-a-black/9e697265-43c4-4563-9828-e25fd76803d2
  4. I login as usual but then it goes to a black screen with my mouse cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. after preparing automatic repair screen goes black with cursor

after preparing automatic repair screen goes black with cursor: hii when i turn on my laptop it goes on infinite loading so i forcefully turned off 2 times to get automatic repair but after performing preparing automatic repair the screen goes black with moving cursor and it did even open task manger clt +alt+del even after doing 3 or 4...
  6. after preparing automatic repair screen goes black with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    after preparing automatic repair screen goes black with cursor: hii when i turn on my laptop it goes on infinite loading so i forcefully turned off 2 times to get automatic repair but after performing preparing automatic repair the screen goes black with moving cursor and it did even open task manger clt +alt+del even after doing 3 or 4...
  7. Screen goes black when the cursor image changes.

Screen goes black when the cursor image changes.: This has happened to me 2-3 times now, both times being fixed by a restart. However, I am worried that it may be getting worse over time and eventually keep me locked out. So here's the gist:You know how your cursor changes based on what it's hovering over? The standard...
  8. black screen, no logo, no cursor, no anything. it just goes on/off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    black screen, no logo, no cursor, no anything. it just goes on/off: Hi. I don't know anything about computers aside from using them. Please help me. Sending my gratitude to anyone and everyone. This happened when I tried resetting my pc to reinstall windows because of the critical error issuesign in and cortana So the problem went like...
  9. Black Screen w/ Cursor + shaky screen that goes off and on randomly

Black Screen w/ Cursor + shaky screen that goes off and on randomly: This problem started a few months ago. When it first started, every time I entered my password into the start screen, it would lead me to a black screen w/ cursor. I left this problem alone for a while, and recently when I opened the computer back up, the start screen was...
  10. Stuck on black screen, large cursor arrow and windows will not load

Stuck on black screen, large cursor arrow and windows will not load: Hello, I recently started getting a black screen when trying to turn on my laptop, a Sony Vaio running Windows 10. I am unable to download the DM log collector tool since I cannot use my computer at all. It stays on the black screen even if I let it sit for hours. It's...