Windows 10: Screen goes black for a few seconds when going fullscreen in games

Discus and support Screen goes black for a few seconds when going fullscreen in games in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently got a new laptop, and I am trying to play a game on it Minecraft, but whenever I go fullscreen, my screen goes black for a few seconds. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ShadowMC2, Aug 3, 2021.

1. ShadowMC2 Win User

Screen goes black for a few seconds when going fullscreen in games

I recently got a new laptop, and I am trying to play a game on it Minecraft, but whenever I go fullscreen, my screen goes black for a few seconds. This only happens on an external monitor. I keep my laptop screen closed and just use the second monitor, but if I change my project settings to "Duplicate" and keep my laptop screen open, the screen doesn't go black. Any way to fix this? All my drivers are updated btw.

:)

ShadowMC2, Aug 3, 2021

2. Screen keeps going black for a second

Hello everyone,

Lately I have been trying to overclock my GPU but with no success... I kept running into the issue of the MHz of the GPU Core stopping to rise above 539 MHz... So I clocked it down again, after some issues it worked again, but now... When I open Vessel,
    YouTube or a video (have only tried .mov so far) it goes black when I make it fullscreen (that's only with YouTube and Vessel) the entire screen goes completely black. No audio (HDMI audio) and no screen. It is really annoying. I updated my GPU to see if that
    worked, nope. I restarted, still going black. I have an ASUS STRIX GTX 970 btw. I haven't checked if it goes black while playing games. Does someone know how to solve this problem???

Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, now my primary screen goes black even when I click on the reply button on tweetdeck ON MY SECOND SCREEN??? Oh and it goes black randomly during videos too, not only when going fullscreen.

EDIT 2: **** now my keyboard doesn't type.... I had to ask cortana to give me the on-screen keyboard... THIS SUCKS!!!

EDIT a lot: Oh well... My keyboard is just broken..

Pokemoneuro, Aug 3, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Black screen when playing games on fullscreen.

Hi Syrius,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have clarity on this issue and guide you accordingly, kindly help us with the following information.

• Is the issue specific to a game or does it occur on all the games?
    • Is the issue specific to only games or does it occur while playing full screen videos?

If the issue occurs while playing videos in full screen, you may want to uninstall and reinstall the video card drivers to see if it helps.

• Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose
      Device manager.

• Expand Display Adapters, right click on your video card driver and choose
      Uninstall.
    • Check the box Delete the driver software for this device.
    • Reboot the machine for Windows to automatically reinstall the drivers.

If the issue is specific to games, it could be a compatibility issue. I suggest you to refer to the article
    Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows and run the games
    in compatibility mode to see if it helps.

If the issue persists, it could be due to the full screen optimization. As you’ve already updated the drivers, I would suggest you to disable the same and check if it works.

• Open Settings and go to System > Display.
    • On the right pane, click on the Advanced graphics settings
      hyperlink.
    • Uncheck Enable fullscreen optimizations
      and exit Settings.
    • Restart the machine and see if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Aug 3, 2021
  4. Jack_197 Win User

Screen goes black when fullscreen windows 8.1

Since 3 weeks ago my laptop's screen goes black when I try to maximize (fullscreen) any file (folders , movies , browsers , ...) but the laptop works properly when the screen gets black But it's okay when every file is windowed. After going black I minimize
    that window (which is fullscreen) and use the key "fn+f7" two times and the screen returns. Sometimes after working for some hours this problem fixes and I can fullscreen the files but after putting my laptop to sleep mode and then turning it on the problem
    returns.

I'm using asus laptop n550jk model and windoes 8.1 with all the drivers updated to the their latest versions.

Also my battery hasn't fully charged since 4 months ago and its light is flashing and its percentage is stuck at 80%.

I have also tried some anti viruses but nothing helped me.

How can I fix this problem?

Is my battery cuasing this problem or this is hardware issue?

Jack_197, Aug 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Screen goes black for a few seconds when going fullscreen in games - Similar Threads - Screen goes black

2. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity: I just recently developed this issue where if I leave my monitor on a still image for a few seconds, it goes into hibernation. Normally that takes a few minutes. I have checked my power setting and sleep timers, those are fine. I tried the same monitor with two other devices...
  3. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity: I just recently developed this issue where if I leave my monitor on a still image for a few seconds, it goes into hibernation. Normally that takes a few minutes. I have checked my power setting and sleep timers, those are fine. I tried the same monitor with two other devices...
  4. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer Screen Goes Black For a Few Seconds OR Bluescreens

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Screen Goes Black For a Few Seconds OR Bluescreens: Hi. I've had my computer for just over a year now, and recently I've started to have this weird issue.So, this error happens at a random time, it could happen after 10 minutes or 10 hours. What happens is I will be using my computer, and randomly the screen will go black and...
  6. My screen goes black every few seconds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My screen goes black every few seconds: My windows 10 screen goes black every few seconds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-screen-goes-black-every-few-seconds/10b40768-8ba8-478a-833d-893b3fdc06b4
  7. Black screen in games when fullscreen

Black screen in games when fullscreen: Hello, i just downloaded windows 10 latest update and updated drivers, but then i started playing. I got black screen when in fullscreen but not in windowed....
  8. While in Fullscreen, my screen goes black for a few seconds.

While in Fullscreen, my screen goes black for a few seconds.: When I'm in a game, my screen goes black. (I've had other threads on this BUT the one I am would respond to is not letting me REPLY and it's actually triggering me. Anyways, we were on updating the bios and finding the mx xxxx number. i can't find it on my motherboard. do i...
  9. Screen goes black for a few seconds

Screen goes black for a few seconds: Occasionally my PC goes all black for several seconds (and for not logical reason) after update to Windows 10 Home, version 1803, OS Build 17134. Doesn't seem to affect anything, but is annoying. Any help would be appreciated. BillyS...
  10. Screen flickers black every few seconds when in fullscreen mode games

Screen flickers black every few seconds when in fullscreen mode games: Hi all, I recently upgraded my laptop to the Lenovo Legion Y520 with an i7-7700hq, a 1050 ti, intel hd 630, 256 gig ssd, and 2 Terabyte hard drive I usually use an external monitor next to my laptop I noticed that when in games, if i set it to Fullscreen the screen...