Windows 10: Screen goes black when the cursor image changes.

Discus and support Screen goes black when the cursor image changes. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This has happened to me 2-3 times now, both times being fixed by a restart. However, I am worried that it may be getting worse over time and eventually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DefinitelyNotNathan, May 8, 2021.

1. Screen goes black when the cursor image changes.

This has happened to me 2-3 times now, both times being fixed by a restart. However, I am worried that it may be getting worse over time and eventually keep me locked out. So here's the gist:You know how your cursor changes based on what it's hovering over? The standard clicker, the text one, the hand for clicking links/images? Well, whenever this glitch is in effect, I can only see the screen when a specific cursor image is in use. Example: the screen is black until my cursor moves over text or a text box, when it changes to that tall sideways H. I tried updating windows, but i

:)

DefinitelyNotNathan, May 8, 2021
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Screen goes black

Hi Kris,

It is possible that your screen goes black may be due to a critical system error which can cause the system to shut down. To isolate your issue, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Did you get any error messages when it turns black?
    • Have you tried checking if the sleep mode is turned on/off?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we recommend that you perform the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot blank/black screen errors. This will provide you instruction when you see a black screen before signing in to Windows 10 and when you see a black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 8, 2021
  3. Starborn Win User
    Windows goes to Black Screen, no cursor

Mine will not show a cursor at all. Its just a black screen without a cursor.

Starborn, May 8, 2021
  4. JamesUK Win User

Screen goes black when the cursor image changes.

Windows goes to Black Screen, no cursor

Many thanks for this!

I'd exhausted every solution posted here, and when I read your post, I was initially skeptical that your suggestion would have worked... but knowing that the desktop would appear when I put the laptop into Sleep / Hibernation and then brought it out again, I figured I'd have nothing to lose to try your suggestion...

Anyway, for those trying everything, try this simple (possible) fix above from Beastmode. Worked for me, and has removed the problem. Stable for a number of days too. I can't believe it's just a co-incidence because I must have done tens of reboots trying things, and the desktop came up perfectly immediately having done the above.

I'll certainly try this if (when!) it goes black again. ;-)

(Signed up just to post that this worked for me)

Regards

James

JamesUK, May 8, 2021
Thema:

Screen goes black when the cursor image changes.

1. Screen goes black when the cursor image changes. - Similar Threads - Screen goes black

2. Wallpaper goes black or swaps images when waking up screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wallpaper goes black or swaps images when waking up screen: I have a dual monitor setup with each monitor running different wallpapers. For reference, we'll say Monitor 1 has wallpaper A, and Monitor 2 has wallpaper B. I also have a monitor sleep timer set up and I've noticed that on random occasions, when I wake up the monitors, I...
  3. Wallpaper goes black or swaps images when waking up screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wallpaper goes black or swaps images when waking up screen: I have a dual monitor setup with each monitor running different wallpapers. For reference, we'll say Monitor 1 has wallpaper A, and Monitor 2 has wallpaper B. I also have a monitor sleep timer set up and I've noticed that on random occasions, when I wake up the monitors, I...
  4. after preparing automatic repair screen goes black with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    after preparing automatic repair screen goes black with cursor: hii when i turn on my laptop it goes on infinite loading so i forcefully turned off 2 times to get automatic repair but after performing preparing automatic repair the screen goes black with moving cursor and it did even open task manger clt +alt+del even after doing 3 or 4...
  5. after preparing automatic repair screen goes black with cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after preparing automatic repair screen goes black with cursor: hii when i turn on my laptop it goes on infinite loading so i forcefully turned off 2 times to get automatic repair but after performing preparing automatic repair the screen goes black with moving cursor and it did even open task manger clt +alt+del even after doing 3 or 4...
  6. after preparing automatic repair screen goes black with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Screen goes black when playing Videos, but the image comes back when the cursor fades away

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen goes black when playing Videos, but the image comes back when the cursor fades away: Its starting to get annoying, the issue is what the title says, i've tried everything, the drivers, hardware acceleration (although i dont have the option in the first place) and i can't find anything, im tired and i dont know what to do. NOTE: I've reinstaled Windows on my...
  8. Screen goes black but I see cursor arrow

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen goes black but I see cursor arrow: My laptop looked normal with the background photo. I clicked in the box to log in and the whole screen went black except I can see the cursor arrow. CTRL +Alt + delete does absolutely nothing. No other key combination does anything. I can't shut it down or anything. If I...
  9. black screen, no logo, no cursor, no anything. it just goes on/off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    black screen, no logo, no cursor, no anything. it just goes on/off: Hi. I don't know anything about computers aside from using them. Please help me. Sending my gratitude to anyone and everyone. This happened when I tried resetting my pc to reinstall windows because of the critical error issuesign in and cortana So the problem went like...
  10. Black Screen w/ Cursor + shaky screen that goes off and on randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen w/ Cursor + shaky screen that goes off and on randomly: This problem started a few months ago. When it first started, every time I entered my password into the start screen, it would lead me to a black screen w/ cursor. I left this problem alone for a while, and recently when I opened the computer back up, the start screen was...