Windows 10: Screen goes black when using game bar on HDR monitor

Discus and support Screen goes black when using game bar on HDR monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Having this exact issue here:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by XArcanumOrderX, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Screen goes black when using game bar on HDR monitor

Having this exact issue here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/windows-10-hdr-gaming-screen-blanking-issues/920371b7-1e21-43fd-a597-57cd492ca3f2

Users in the thread claim this was fixed with a game bar update. I'm on the latest and still deal with this infuriating issue, and have since I started using an HDR screen for games years.

When I activate the game bar, the screen identifies the overlay as SDR content and pulls my monitor out of HDR mode, which results in a black screen for a couple seconds, then remains in SDR until the overlay is gone, followed by another black screen as the monitor goes back into HDR mode.

Also happens with achievements and invites, which I assume are overlay items.

This does not happen in windowed mode for games, but does in borderless window and fullscreen.

I'm stunned this isn't a more widespread issue, but maybe there aren't as many people using HDR monitors as I think there are.

:)

XArcanumOrderX, Aug 28, 2020
  2. Tom Wonk Win User

Issues when playing games in Full Screen with "Play HDR games and apps" Enabled

I have the "Play HDR games and apps" setting enabled, otherwise everything I use on the monitor looks dull. I have been randomly getting black screens for a while now while playing full screen games. Took me weeks to figure out why this was happening.

When I turn up (or down) my pc volume by using the scroll wheel on my keyboard, a volume indicator appears on the top left of my monitor with the volume level.

This works perfectly on windowed / borderless games (even with HDR enabled) however if HDR is enabled and I am in Full Screen, when I adjust the volume I get a black screen. It then reconnects and a box in the center of the monitor appears to indicate the resolution
    is 2560 x 1440 HDR.

Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum.

Graphics Card: Geforce RTX 2080 Super.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s).

Monitor: 2560 x 1440 165hz, Connected via Display Port.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get the volume control to not cause black screens while playing in Full Screen games with HDR enabled?

Tom Wonk, Aug 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen.

Hello moderator

1. Its all the games I own that don't support HDR10. Basically when I full screen on a non-HDR game, the screen goes black for a few seconds and HDR gets disabled and all the colors looked washed out (Like its in SDR)

I took 2 screenshots, One is in window mode, the other is in full screen

Windowed mode (HDR on) : Imgur

Full screen mode (HDR off) : Imgur

2. Yes SDR looks washed out. I want to play my games in full screen and in HDR. Playing in windowed mode is a nightmare

3. I know because the monitor goes black for a few seconds and all the colors look washed out (As shown in the screenshots)

Sadly the fixes did not work Screen goes black when using game bar on HDR monitor :(

I updated the GPU drivers via GeForce Experience app.

My Monitor does support 4k HDR10

I tried lower the resolution and the refresh rate but that did not work.

Here is a video of my problem

YouTube Link :

Time Stamps :

0:00 HDR mode is on everything looks fine (In the video, when it looks high contrast, that means HDR is on)

0:35 I full screen the game. If you notice the high contrast is no longer there, the colors are washed out

0:46 I disable full screen and HDR mode is back on

*HDR looks high contrast, Ignore that, that's just the video itself.

Im also using windows 10 64bit 1809

WillyMcFly, Aug 28, 2020
  4. rmilyard Win User

Screen goes black when using game bar on HDR monitor

Windows 10 and Samsung CHG70 32” HDR monitor

I have the lastest version of Windows 10 fully updated as of today and current version of Nvidia drivers. I have SLI Asus Strix 1080 cards.

The monitor is 2560x1440 @ 144hz with HDR. I can enable HDR in display settings. Monitor shows DisplayPort HDR.

So when I try play World of Warcraft and as soon as i click mouse button the display blacks out and goes to saying DisplayPort and not HDR. Colors are at this point messed up. If I alt-tab out and back into game its fine till click mouse again. If I turn
    off HDR in display settings it seems fine. If WoW does not support it why does it start with on? Not sure how to fix this.

Next issue. With HDR on again and run Resident Evil 7 which I believe supports HDR the option in game settings for HDR is greyed out.

Anyone have suggestions?

rmilyard, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Screen goes black when using game bar on HDR monitor

1. Screen goes black when using game bar on HDR monitor - Similar Threads - Screen goes black

2. Screen goes black when playing a game on pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black when playing a game on pc: Hi,I’ve recently build a pc for my little brother and I’m having some issues. Whenever he starts to try to play fortnite, the screen goes black and says “no video entry” and then “entering sleep mode”. The parts are the following :AMD Ryzen 5 4500XTX RADEON RX 580 GTS XXX...
  3. Screen goes black when playing a game on pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen goes black when playing a game on pc: Hi,I’ve recently build a pc for my little brother and I’m having some issues. Whenever he starts to try to play fortnite, the screen goes black and says “no video entry” and then “entering sleep mode”. The parts are the following :AMD Ryzen 5 4500XTX RADEON RX 580 GTS XXX...
  4. Monitor goes black when trying to play games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor goes black when trying to play games: I recently tried to play RDR2 on my computer and after a bit of playing the screen went black and told me that the HDM cable was not detecting anything, although the computer was noticeably on. I then tried to play other games on my computer after it turned back on and none...
  5. Monitor goes black when trying to play games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor goes black when trying to play games: I recently tried to play RDR2 on my computer and after a bit of playing the screen went black and told me that the HDM cable was not detecting anything, although the computer was noticeably on. I then tried to play other games on my computer after it turned back on and none...
  6. Monitor goes black when playing some games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor goes black when playing some games.: Hey guys, I'm getting a black screen when playing certain games i.e. rocket league, fall guys, code vein, dying light + more. Unfortunately it doesn't happen on all titles which is weird. The black screen only last for a second and then the game runs perfectly fine, however...
  7. Windows goes black when using Screen Snip

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows goes black when using Screen Snip: HelloWhen using Screen snip it takes perfect screenshot but when I try use some tool eg- using brush or any other tool in it screen becomes black for 2-3 second and then same and cycle goes on till i am using screen snip...
  8. Momentary black screen when toggling Game Bar while HDR enabled

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Momentary black screen when toggling Game Bar while HDR enabled: I got a new monitor, the LG 27GL850-B, which supports the basic HDR 10 signal. Of course this I didn't expect anything from it, but hey, if the option is there, might as well see if does anything. What I did notice is that while HDR was enabled, opening and closing the Game...
  9. Monitor screen goes black while gaming.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor screen goes black while gaming.: Yesterday i built my first gaming pc, and it seems like i've done everything right but when I launch games I get consistent blackscreens, especially with FreeSync enabled. My specs are: Ryzen 5 2600 ASRock B450m Pro4 mobo 2x8GB G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3000 (16ms CAS latency)...
  10. monitor is blinking and screen goes black

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    monitor is blinking and screen goes black: I got a weird issue a few days ago. I booted my computer, and my monitor was black. Everything was connected. I took the graphics card out and connected it again. The monitor then blinks, you can see the desktop for about one second, then the screen goes black, then it shows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 hdr monitor black

2. xbox game bar hdr

3. set hdr on and screen goes black