Windows 10: screen goes into sleep mode within seconds of not moving mouse

Discus and support screen goes into sleep mode within seconds of not moving mouse in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have tried to change the power settings, and I even have the screen saver turned on - but the screen goes dark in just a few seconds if they mouse is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PattiPurpl, Dec 13, 2018.

1. screen goes into sleep mode within seconds of not moving mouse

I have tried to change the power settings, and I even have the screen saver turned on - but the screen goes dark in just a few seconds if they mouse is not moved constantly or typing. I have reviewed the power settings and I have all of them set at 15 minutes or more and the screen saver never comes on. I recently had to have my hard drive replace and it has been doing this since the hard drive replacement - any ideas.

:)

PattiPurpl, Dec 13, 2018
  2. PJS
    pjs Win User

PC hibernates / goes into sleep mode upon logout / screen lock

I am using my work computer. It's a laptop with a power connection (not running on battery.) The laptop is hocked up to two monitors (a total of three monitors, counting the laptop's own screen - I usually keep my laptop closed, however.)
    Since I am at work I always lock the screen when I leave my computer. (I use the windows+L shortcut to lock the screen.) This all works fine.

However, after about a minute the computer goes into sleep mode / hibernation. At least I think it does, because the two monitors goes black - and it takes a few seconds to "wake up the system" (the monitors doesn't come back to life immediately when I press a key on the keyboard / move the mouse, as they would if a screen saver was active.)
    This is very annoying if I step away from my computer for only a short while (like going to the bathroom.)

Here's what I want:
    With power (not running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 15 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

Without power (running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 5 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

My best bet is that this is some sort of power saving scheme thingie, but I can't seem to figure out how to configure it to do what I want. Can someone please help me with a step-by-step guide to configure my system the way I want? Thank you.

3. Computer goes to Sleep mode automatically

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below if not tried already and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System>Power & sleep.
    • In the right pane, select Never from the drop down list for
      Screen
      and Sleep.
    • Close the dialog box and check for status.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 13, 2018
  4. screen goes into sleep mode within seconds of not moving mouse

sleep mode

Hi disgruntledWC,

There could be other settings on your computer that triggers your computer to go on sleep even though the sleep settings is set to never. To ensure that the sleep and display settings are properly set, I suggest that you look into the Advanced Power Settings.
    Follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel and click Power Options.
    • On your preferred plan, click Change plan settings.
    • Click advanced power settings.
    • Expand Sleep option, and make sure to set the following:
    Sleep after : Never

Hibernate after : Never

5. Click Apply, then OK.

Please check also the screen saver option.

• Navigate to Settings > Personalization > Lock screen.
    • Click Screen saver settings.
    • Set your Screen saver to None.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, please observe if your computer still goes to sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

screen goes into sleep mode within seconds of not moving mouse

1. screen goes into sleep mode within seconds of not moving mouse - Similar Threads - screen goes sleep

2. My laptop goes into sleep mode within 30 seconds when plugged into an external monitor or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop goes into sleep mode within 30 seconds when plugged into an external monitor or...: I have a new laptop with Windows 11. The power supply is via USB-C port. When using the laptop with a projector for a presentation, I noted that the laptop and then the projector would go into sleep mode within 30 seconds when I wasn't typing or clicking anything. The same...
  3. My laptop goes into sleep mode within 30 seconds when plugged into an external monitor or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop goes into sleep mode within 30 seconds when plugged into an external monitor or...: I have a new laptop with Windows 11. The power supply is via USB-C port. When using the laptop with a projector for a presentation, I noted that the laptop and then the projector would go into sleep mode within 30 seconds when I wasn't typing or clicking anything. The same...
  4. MOUSE CURSOR TO AUTOMATICALLY HIDE WITHIN A FEW SECONDS IN FULL-SCREEN PHOTO MODE.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MOUSE CURSOR TO AUTOMATICALLY HIDE WITHIN A FEW SECONDS IN FULL-SCREEN PHOTO MODE.: I want an update where the Mouse cursor gets automatically hidden after a few seconds when I click on full-screen F5 to view a photo in full-screen. The mouse cursor is very annoying, as I can see that on my screen when I see a picture, even in full-screen mode....
  5. MOUSE CURSOR TO AUTOMATICALLY HIDE WITHIN A FEW SECONDS IN FULL-SCREEN PHOTO MODE.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MOUSE CURSOR TO AUTOMATICALLY HIDE WITHIN A FEW SECONDS IN FULL-SCREEN PHOTO MODE.: I want an update where the Mouse cursor gets automatically hidden after a few seconds when I click on full-screen F5 to view a photo in full-screen. The mouse cursor is very annoying, as I can see that on my screen when I see a picture, even in full-screen mode....
  6. Second monitor goes to sleep mode for no reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor goes to sleep mode for no reason: Hello, I have to monitors linked to my GTX 660. Main one through HDMI and the second one to DVI port via VGA adapter monitor has VGA. It's been working fine but whenever I wake my PC up from sleep mode the second monitor VGA one is in sleep mode and after logging in I have...
  7. USB Enternal Drive goes to sleep within seconds Win 10

USB Enternal Drive goes to sleep within seconds Win 10: This is actually a clean install. I have followed all advise as regards to power settings. Even looking back to old registry hacks. Nothing works. I frequently access this drive, and it spins down almost instantly, greatly slowing down my work. Not using a hub. I see this...
  8. THE SCREEN SAYS " LOCKING " and it goes into sleep mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    THE SCREEN SAYS " LOCKING " and it goes into sleep mode: 2 days ago i upgraded my windows 10 to build 1903 , since then , randomly and during any activity (gaming , watching a video ..etc) , screen with the word "locking" in the middle appears for half a second and my laptop goes into sleep mode and then i have to turn it on...
  9. Second display goes to sleep.

Second display goes to sleep.: I have an older system with duel monitors operating on windows 10. The second monitor goes to sleep during boot up and is not detected in display settings. This has happend in past windows updates, but was always dectected and therefore recoverabl...
  10. System goes to sleep within seconds I stop typing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System goes to sleep within seconds I stop typing: As soon as I stop typing, the system goes to sleep after approximately 5 seconds. All my power options is Never Sleep. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thank you. *cry 38316

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop goes into hibernation within seconds of not using

2. screnn gos to sleep in seconds