Windows 10: Screen lockup for 10-20 minutes with HDD churning

Discus and support Screen lockup for 10-20 minutes with HDD churning in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On one of the Windows 10 systems here (upgrade followed by reset) all applications including the desktop become unresponsive for up to 20 minutes or so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by perdrix, Aug 29, 2015.

1. perdrix Win User

Screen lockup for 10-20 minutes with HDD churning

On one of the Windows 10 systems here (upgrade followed by reset) all applications including the desktop become unresponsive for up to 20 minutes or so with the "spinning doughnut" mouse pointer displayed. During this entire period, something is hammering away on the hard drive.

If I leave it long enough, the hard disk stops churning, and everything wakes up again.

Clearly some process has locked out all application screen updates (why?) while it does something to the hard drive.

There are no entries in either the Application or System event logs that match up with the times that this has happened.

The only common factor is that on several occasions I've had a VMware virtual machine running, but I don't think that it is every time.

Graphics card is an ATI FireGL V7600 sfc /scannnow thinks everything is OK

Any thoughts?

:)

perdrix, Aug 29, 2015

2. My Belle experience

I have now experienced 3 screen lockups. One time I just waited for 10 minutes or so and it came back alive. During lockup the home button worked for switching the screens and task manager, but no touch input. Keylock slider made vibrating buzz but did not
    activate the lock or did not display the lock symbol on screen.

seppuku---01, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Cegla Win User
    E73 locking up

No dice. OVI maps can take up to 20 seconds just to switch from one icon to the next (not even in the maps yet!). Clicking on "my location" leads to "lockup" (all white map followed by nonresponsive black screen for a few minutes, back to nonresponsive
    all white map screen). Finally got it to go back to menu screen, tried to start the music player and it locked up again. Total black screen. After ~ten minutes I pulled the battery... Any other thoughts? This phone is basically unusable.

Cegla, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

No windows 10 specific suggestions here. But, if you haven't already done so, check your sata cable, performance plan (hard drives sleep settings) and Smart data. Best of luck

Snakeyes, Aug 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Screen lockup for 10-20 minutes with HDD churning - Similar Threads - Screen lockup minutes

2. lockup screen after 1 minute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lockup screen after 1 minute: I have installed a new lenovo t16 laptop with windows 11 prothe lockup is still after 1 minute. I tried all settings for power/batteries/lockup/ screensaver to 30 min and still no resultalso the screensaver that has been specified does not come up - just black screenii is...
  3. lockup screen after 1 minute

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lockup screen after 1 minute: I have installed a new lenovo t16 laptop with windows 11 prothe lockup is still after 1 minute. I tried all settings for power/batteries/lockup/ screensaver to 30 min and still no resultalso the screensaver that has been specified does not come up - just black screenii is...
  4. Encountering lockup of 2016 STD server for approx 10 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encountering lockup of 2016 STD server for approx 10 minutes: An incident occurred in which 2 servers became unresponsive for approximately 12 minutes. Looking in Event Viewer the Security Audit which normally generates multiple lines per minute is empty during this time as is the System log. Application also shows no activity during...
  5. Black screen for ~20 minutes after login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen for ~20 minutes after login: I have a virtual environment where everyone logs into they physical desktop and then connects to a dedicated virtual desktop via VMware. I've already taken this to VMware support, and they say it's not their problem. With certain users on certain VM's, after they enter their...
  6. Blue screen error every 20 minutes

Blue screen error every 20 minutes: The computer crashes about every 20 minutes or so. It was working fine up until recently. I'd done a Windows update just prior to this problem, but there are no system restore points to allow me to restore prior to the update. It's an older machine 11 years, so I'm not...
  7. Blue screen lockup

Blue screen lockup: I have a blue screen with date and time. No error message. Locked up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screen-lockup/e02870c3-2189-4e1f-96c0-d7e0752a360a
  8. Notebook start screen for 20 minutes?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Notebook start screen for 20 minutes?: Since 20 min I only see the start screen where acer is standing how does the notebook go 10 days old Notebook seid 20 min in Startbildschirm?
  9. 20 minutes to boot :(

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    20 minutes to boot :(: Hi all, I'm experiencing some big issues with my computer since 2 days: when I try to boot it takes more than 20min to boot (and sometimes it doesn't boot). Current situation with my drives: Primary (OS & programs): Samsun 850 EVO 1st Archive: Caviar Blue 1TB 2nd...
  10. Lockup - but Not lockup!?

in Windows 10 Support
    Lockup - but Not lockup!?: Having a very strange problem since the last update ... Every so often, but quite randomly my screen completely locks up - Now ... if I turn my TV screen on and off the lockup (90% of the time) fixes itself and I Can carry on doing what I was doing before it happened. So...