Windows 10: Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on

Discus and support Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, In the last week or so I've been having a scary recurring problem. Randomly once or twice a day, during times of normal non-gaming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by octri, Jun 30, 2020.

1. octri Win User

Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on

Hello everyone,

In the last week or so I've been having a scary recurring problem. Randomly once or twice a day, during times of normal non-gaming use, both of my monitors on my desktop will go completely black, and the sound will stop. There is no cursor or other input available, or any sign that Windows is still active. The fans and everything within the case are still illuminated and spinning.

There is no record of any anomalous event in Event Viewer or reliability log, other than to record when I have to force a reboot everything works as normal when I reboot, usually for at least an hour. I strongly believe it's not a heat issue, as my system runs very cool, but I did in the last month replace my Ryzen CPU's stock cooler with a heatsink+fan from CoolerMaster. I also, in the last week, replaced a network adapter that had randomly stopped working. The problem started after I installed the new network adapter, but I can't figure out why that would be. The adapter itself is working great. Is there anything I could have bumped inside the case that may possibly indicate these kinds of issues, or does this sound like a problem with Windows?

Thanks so much in advance. This has got me worried I will lose work.

:)

octri, Jun 30, 2020

2. computer screen goes black but computer still running windows 10

None of the solutions will permanently fix the problems with Windows 10 1909! The black screens will randomly happen. USB ports will suddenly stop for no reason. Whenever there is an update from Microsoft there are problems. It is frustrating. It does
    matter how many you times you go through the troubleshooting steps.

PairedNine50465, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Micklen Win User
    My computer´s screen randomly goes black...

Ever since I installed Win 10 on my PC, once in a while as I am working the screen goes black for 1 or 2 seconds. Nothing serious really happens, but it is starting to get annoying.

Went on Safe Mode and removed my video drivers and re-installed them. Didn´t work.

I thought having my screen and TV hooked to my computer was causing problems, but now I only have my screen plugged in, and it still goes black randomly.

This are my specs:

GPU: GeForce GTX 750

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 @ 3.10 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

OP: Windows 10 Pro

I went through the forums and other questions and can´t seem to find an answer.

Thank you!

Micklen, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on

Laptop randomly shuts down after latest Windows 10 update

Since the latest update of Windows 10 my computer decides to randomly shut down after every couple of minutes. First the screen goes black, then the sounds stops and after quite a while the power also goes down.

Obviously I though of cleaning the fan with a big vacuum, as suggested on My Windows 10 Computer Randomly Shuts Down . However, after doing this, the shutting down goes even quicker. I cannot even properly log-on before the shutdown takes place.

What should be my next step?

Ps. The computer is quited aged (roughly 3 - 4 years). The battery is dead enough such that I always need to have it plugged in an outlet. It might just be "done for" but I'm hoping to revive it for just a little bit more.

Robin Kramer, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on

1. Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on - Similar Threads - Screen randomly goes

2. Screen goes black randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black randomly: Hello everyone,The screen of a Windows Server 2012 Essentials with version 6.2.920000 randomly turns black and the system seems to be frozen, forcing us to physically reboot the machine.It happens completely by surprise.By looking into the event visor, everything seems pretty...
  3. Screen goes black randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen goes black randomly: Hello everyone,The screen of a Windows Server 2012 Essentials with version 6.2.920000 randomly turns black and the system seems to be frozen, forcing us to physically reboot the machine.It happens completely by surprise.By looking into the event visor, everything seems pretty...
  4. Laptop goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on.: Hello, I have a problem with my MSI Laptop, it goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on, tried to Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B but nothing happen, everything that runs currently would forcedly stop like music, game, etc so i need to force shutdown it...
  5. Laptop goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on.: Hello, I have a problem with my MSI Laptop, it goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on, tried to Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B but nothing happen, everything that runs currently would forcedly stop like music, game, etc so i need to force shutdown it...
  6. Laptop goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Computer screen goes black with sound still going, reactivates after a second and apps stop...

Computer screen goes black with sound still going, reactivates after a second and apps stop...: So I have been having trouble with some apps like Zoom when shared screen is activated or Toon Boom Harmony, my screen randomly stops, then goes black for a second or two with a loading cursor and sound still on, then it comes back and sometimes the apps stop responding and I...
  8. Screen goes black with the sound.

Screen goes black with the sound.: When playing a game the screen will randomly go black and can still hear the sound. It has happened while watching Netflix also. Only way to get the picture back is to shut down the computer. ive tried different bios versions. used ddu to reinstall the graphics drivers and...
  9. Computer randomly goes black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer randomly goes black: My computer will randomly go black while in use. The computer completely shuts down but immediately turns back on but the screen does not come back on. I have to unplug it and plug it back in and when I turn it on after that it goes to the BIOS where it says: Boot failure...
  10. Computer goes to a black screen randomly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer goes to a black screen randomly: My windows 10 pc randomly goes to a black screen on the monitor as if nothing is connected to it. Shortly there after I lose connect to the computer (discord and Spotify both stop) and then the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive. Originally I thought it was a graphics card...