Windows 10: Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on

Discus and support Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, In the last week or so I've been having a scary recurring problem. Randomly once or twice a day, during times of normal non-gaming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by octri, Jun 30, 2020.

1. octri Win User

Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on

Hello everyone,

In the last week or so I've been having a scary recurring problem. Randomly once or twice a day, during times of normal non-gaming use, both of my monitors on my desktop will go completely black, and the sound will stop. There is no cursor or other input available, or any sign that Windows is still active. The fans and everything within the case are still illuminated and spinning.

There is no record of any anomalous event in Event Viewer or reliability log, other than to record when I have to force a reboot everything works as normal when I reboot, usually for at least an hour. I strongly believe it's not a heat issue, as my system runs very cool, but I did in the last month replace my Ryzen CPU's stock cooler with a heatsink+fan from CoolerMaster. I also, in the last week, replaced a network adapter that had randomly stopped working. The problem started after I installed the new network adapter, but I can't figure out why that would be. The adapter itself is working great. Is there anything I could have bumped inside the case that may possibly indicate these kinds of issues, or does this sound like a problem with Windows?

Thanks so much in advance. This has got me worried I will lose work.

:)

octri, Jun 30, 2020

2. computer screen goes black but computer still running windows 10

None of the solutions will permanently fix the problems with Windows 10 1909! The black screens will randomly happen. USB ports will suddenly stop for no reason. Whenever there is an update from Microsoft there are problems. It is frustrating. It does
    matter how many you times you go through the troubleshooting steps.

PairedNine50465, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Micklen Win User
    My computer´s screen randomly goes black...

Ever since I installed Win 10 on my PC, once in a while as I am working the screen goes black for 1 or 2 seconds. Nothing serious really happens, but it is starting to get annoying.

Went on Safe Mode and removed my video drivers and re-installed them. Didn´t work.

I thought having my screen and TV hooked to my computer was causing problems, but now I only have my screen plugged in, and it still goes black randomly.

This are my specs:

GPU: GeForce GTX 750

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 @ 3.10 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

OP: Windows 10 Pro

I went through the forums and other questions and can´t seem to find an answer.

Thank you!

Micklen, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on

Laptop randomly shuts down after latest Windows 10 update

Since the latest update of Windows 10 my computer decides to randomly shut down after every couple of minutes. First the screen goes black, then the sounds stops and after quite a while the power also goes down.

Obviously I though of cleaning the fan with a big vacuum, as suggested on My Windows 10 Computer Randomly Shuts Down . However, after doing this, the shutting down goes even quicker. I cannot even properly log-on before the shutdown takes place.

What should be my next step?

Ps. The computer is quited aged (roughly 3 - 4 years). The battery is dead enough such that I always need to have it plugged in an outlet. It might just be "done for" but I'm hoping to revive it for just a little bit more.

Robin Kramer, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on

1. Screen randomly goes black, sound stops, but computer still on - Similar Threads - Screen randomly goes

2. Computer black screening randomly?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer black screening randomly?: I run a minecraft server off of a old spare computer i own, and it's recently been black screening at random points. It disappears off of teamviewer, server shuts down, and plugging in a monitor results in a black but still lit screen. Going into the Event Viewer shows an...
  3. Random black screen with error sound

Random black screen with error sound: Specs: Aorus Z390 Master I9-9900k Aorus RTX 2080TI 11gb WB 16gb G.skill Trident ram Samsung evo 970 500gb m.2 ssd Corsair sf750w PSU. Recently encountered black screen problems randomly. Would have a days without a black screen incident and on the contrary, would...
  4. Computer goes to a black screen randomly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer goes to a black screen randomly: My windows 10 pc randomly goes to a black screen on the monitor as if nothing is connected to it. Shortly there after I lose connect to the computer (discord and Spotify both stop) and then the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive. Originally I thought it was a graphics card...
  5. my hp laptop screen goes black randomly

my hp laptop screen goes black randomly: my hp laptop screen goes black randomly when using it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hp-laptop-screen-goes-black-randomly/7478cfe4-7112-476c-b98d-6d950f69071d
  6. Screen goes black

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen goes black: I am using Windows 10, my setup is running the most recent windows update, and I keep my system safe with up to date Norton360. But I am pretty computer illiterate. So I ask with the utter most sincerity to simplify as much as you can. I've been having a reoccurring problem...
  7. computer screen goes black but computer still running windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer screen goes black but computer still running windows 10: I am using HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC, with windows 10 single language 64 bit Operating System, with 8 GB RAM. I am facing TWO major issues: After leaving the system idle for more then an hour, the computer screen goes black but computer still running windows 10, and it...
  8. Computer Black Screens randomly but sound continues.

Computer Black Screens randomly but sound continues.: Description A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly. Problem signature Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Code: 193 Parameter 1: 80f Parameter 2: ffffffffc0000017 Parameter 3: 0 Parameter 4: 0 OS version: 10_0_18363 Service Pack: 0_0 Product:...
  9. Random black screen, no cursor or sound

Random black screen, no cursor or sound: Hi! I recently installed new hardware; Asus ROG x470-F Gaming, Ryzen 5 2600 and G.Skill Trident Z RGB memory. I have updated to latest Windows 10, I have home edition, latest BIOS, latest driver for my GPU, GTX770. My problem is that at completely random times it all goes...
  10. Random PC freezers but youtube sound still goes on playing

in Windows 10 Support
    Random PC freezers but youtube sound still goes on playing: Hi, My work PC randomly freezers from time to time. Mostly I notice while streaming from Youtube while doing work. It is not frequent, but not that rare either. Like once or twice a week. What happens is that while doing work, I noticed the Youtube video will first freeze,...