Windows 10: Screen Resolution cannot change in new install

Discus and support Screen Resolution cannot change in new install in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I just installed the latest Windows 10 Preview build 10074 on a partition on my drive. I want to set my screen resolution to 1200 x 900 or similar but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by phillip, Jun 2, 2015.

1. phillip Win User

Screen Resolution cannot change in new install

I just installed the latest Windows 10 Preview build 10074 on a partition on my drive. I want to set my screen resolution to 1200 x 900 or similar but it permanently fixed on 1024 x 768.

Here is a snapshot from spekky...
    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...Gu7mkZUcUYkpwr

Thanks for any future advice...
    - PD *Eek

:)

phillip, Jun 2, 2015

2. the screen resolution cannot be changed

Be sure you tried the first method in Device Manager as it often resolves the issue.

----

Here is how to check manually for drivers :

Be sure you are running the latest available BIOS, chipset drivers, and all the major device drivers.

Check with System Maker (Motherboard Maker for custom systems) for updates to the BIOS, low level chipset drivers, and the major on-board and separate device drivers. Run DriverView - set VIEW to Hide Microsoft drivers - update those without Dump in their name.

DriverView - Free - utility displays the list of all device drivers currently loaded on your system. For each driver in the list, additional useful information is displayed: load address of the driver, description, version, product name, company that created
    the driver, and more.

DriverView: Loaded Windows Drivers List

For Drivers check System Maker as fallbacks and Device Maker's which are the most current. Right Click Start Button - Display Adapter - write down the make and complete model of your video adapter - double click -Driver's tab - write down the version info.
    Now click UPdate Driver (this may not do anything as MS is far behind certifying drivers) - then Right Click - Uninstall - REBOOT this will refresh the driver stack.

Repeat that for Network - Network Card (NIC), Wifi, Sound, Mouse and Keyboard if 3rd party with their own software and drivers and any other major device drivers you have.

Now go to System Maker's site (Dell, HP, Toshiba as examples) (as rollback) and then Device Maker's site (Realtek, Intel, Nvidia, ATI as examples) and get their latest versions. (Look for BIOS, Chipset, and software updates at System Maker's site while there.)

Download - SAVE - go to where you put them - Right Click - RUN AD ADMIN - REBOOT after each installation.

Always check in Device Manager - Drivers tab to be sure the version you are installing actually shows up. This is because some drivers rollback before the latest is installed (sound drivers particularly do this) so install a driver - reboot - check to be sure
    it is installed and repeat as needed.

Repeat at Device Makers - BTW at Device Makers DO NOT RUN THEIR SCANNER - check manually by model.

Manually look at manufacturer's sites for drivers - and Device Maker's sites.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht...

SpiritX MS MVP, Jun 2, 2015
  3. the screen resolution cannot be changed

Hi DaveM121, I would just like to say thank you very much for all your help with this matter. I just kept on trying to update the driver and it has eventually sorted itself. So I am back to normal. Once again thank you for taking the time to reply to my
    question. It makes me realise that there are a lot of people willing to help. Thank you very much.

MARTINMCINERNEY, Jun 2, 2015
  4. bobfrost Win User

Just reinstall the latest driver for your graphics card. It is probably just using an MS driver instead of the latest manufacturer driver from their website. It's happened to me today.

Bob frost

bobfrost, Jun 2, 2015
  5. techfan Win User
    You may want to unplug/plug-in the HDMI or VGA cable, too. Windows 10 prevented selection of the monitor's screen resolution even though the monitor showed up as one of the attached displays. This happened after upgrading to Windows 10. Unplug the HDMI or VGA cable and plug it back in again with the laptop screen down.
    Note: My drivers were up to date. My laptop has Intel HD Graphics.

techfan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen Resolution cannot change in new install - Similar Threads - Screen Resolution cannot

2. Incorrect screen resolution on install, cannot see options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect screen resolution on install, cannot see options: I am carrying out clean instal of windows 11 after having to replace motherboard and cpu. The motherboard only has HDMI out. for display The problem is that the resolution is not adjusted correctly and the screen does not really fit on the display correctly. This is okay...
  3. cannot change display resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cannot change display resolution: I have a Lenovo laptop and I am trying to change my display resolutions in display settings> advanced display settings> display adapter properties> list all modes. it lets me select a different resolution, but it just waits 15 seconds and reverts when I apply it. The...
  4. cannot change display resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot change display resolution: I have a Lenovo laptop and I am trying to change my display resolutions in display settings> advanced display settings> display adapter properties> list all modes. it lets me select a different resolution, but it just waits 15 seconds and reverts when I apply it. The...
  5. Screen resolution cannot be changed?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen resolution cannot be changed?: My screen resolution cannot be changed in the settings. I have already tried to update all drivers, have sent the graphics card in for repair twice, but this error does not occur in the workshop. At the PC I have already changed all components except the hard disk, the...
  6. Change screen resolution

Change screen resolution: Since I installed Win 10 (over Win 7) icons JPGs are distorted- too wide The res recommended for this monitor is not available when I go to personalize on the desktop....
  7. change screen resolution

change screen resolution: I have a laptop running Windows 10 and screen resolution of 800*600. I’d like to increase this resolution so that I will be able to watch some programs. Before the upgrade I used Ubuntu and Windows 8 on this computer and didn’t have any problems with changing resolution...
  8. change screen resolution

change screen resolution: how do I change my screen resolution ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-screen-resolution/34c8b5fe-01c1-4a31-bb33-5f496e03e8b9
  9. Screen resolution will not change

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen resolution will not change: My screen resolution is currently 1024 x 768, but needs to be 2048 x 1536. It will not change when I go to settings, I merely get a message that says "Input not Support". When I tried the help online, it said I need to update the graphics driver, but two attempts to do so...
  10. I cannot change screen resolution in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    I cannot change screen resolution in Windows 10: Screen resolution is set at 1024 x 768 and is 'greyed' out. I cannot change it. I tried updating the display driver and that didn't work either. Maybe if I pull on both my ears and stretch my face horizontally it will look better PLEASE HELP.*Sad*Sad*Sad*Sad 6610