Windows 10: Screen Saver settings acting weird

Discus and support Screen Saver settings acting weird in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Have win10 home installed since its release and it has run fine except for a screen saver issue I am having. Heres what happens.I do a fresh boot in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NervusTwitch, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Screen Saver settings acting weird

Have win10 home installed since its release and it has run fine except for a screen saver issue I am having.

Heres what happens.I do a fresh boot in the morning and the SS never will come on until I goto personalize and glick on a new screen saver and select one then I can can go back and select my original.I only need to do this so I can hit the "apply" button.I also have to reset the amount of time before the SS will come on.
    I normally haveit set to 3 minutes but every reboot it sets itself to 1 minute.

I have to do this after every reboot and cant figure out why.
    Everything else is working great with no other issues.
    Any ideas or thoughts on this issue?

:)

NervusTwitch, Aug 24, 2015

2. photos

How much phone memory do you have? And do you have a backup of your contacts and messages and calendar? Your phone is acting all weird.

And what do you mean by "screen saver" active all the time?

chanchan05, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Wolfpup3 Win User
    Windows 10 goes to sleep

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have a screen saver set on any of my systems, and I'm seeing sleep weirdness on 100% of them under 10.

BTW, you can get to screen saver by just hitting start and starting to type 'screen saver' until it pops up.

Wolfpup3, Aug 24, 2015
  4. mfaklis Win User

Screen Saver settings acting weird

I have Win 10 Pro x64. No matter what I do, after a couple minutes, the console locks up and requires a cntl-alt-del to unlock it with my user ID/Password. I have checked local policies, screen saver (set to NONE) timeout setting, power options settings. I have tried the Win 8 workaround to reset power plan to the defaults. I don't have time to stand, stretch, and scratch my behind before the console locks up.

An exception is if I have one (of four) screens full screen running Hauppauge WinTV v8, or a browser watching streamed video at full screen.

mfaklis, Aug 25, 2015
  5. moondoggy Win User
    I'd like to suggest another option that seems to work for me and I'd like some feedback as to whether it work for others. Here's what I did:

Start/Search and type gpedit.msc, Right click the gpedit results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Group Policy Editor, on the Left Panel, go to User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Personalization/Enable Screen Saver and enable the Policy. Once you have enabled that policy, go down and also enable Screen Saver Timeout. Note that in the Screen Saver Timeout policy there's an option to set the number of second for the timeout with the default being 900 seconds or 15 minutes.
    Once you've enabled both policies and set the timeout if different from the default, exit the group policy editor. If you now go the screen saver settings in Control Panel you will notice that the wait period will match the minutes you entered in the group policy editor but it will be grayed out preventing you from changing the value unless you go back into the group policy editor and change it there.
    Many were complaining that the wait value reverts to 1 and that is why they turned off fast booting but I have fast booting turned on and with the group policy changes I made my wait time is no longer reverting to 1 minute and remains at 15 minutes.

Will someone please give this a try to see of this solves the problem of the wait time reverting to 1 if you have fast booting turned on? If it doesn't work all you need to go is go back into the group policy editor and set both policies to "Not Configured".

moondoggy, Sep 21, 2015
  6. siennait Win User
    Hello moondoggy and thank you for your suggestion!
    My problem was slightly different, as upon new boot, the screensaver was disabled completely and never started. I would have to "fix" it in Personalize every time I turned on the computer. However, using the method you illustrated, it now begins regularly after the 600 seconds I set on the group policy editor.
    Thank you again!

siennait, Sep 22, 2015
  7. moondoggy Win User
    Thank you for getting back to me with your results. I've posted this work around on another forum and the people that have resoled this issue via turning off the fast boot up seem to be reluctant to try this fix for some reason or can't because you have to be running Windows 10 Pro in order to do group policy editing which is a requirement I failed to state when I posted my suggested work around. Anyway, I'm happy it's working for you and perhaps others will try it and report back as well.

moondoggy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Screen Saver settings acting weird

1. Screen Saver settings acting weird - Similar Threads - Screen Saver settings

2. My windows 7 screen is acting weird

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 7 screen is acting weird: I tried restarting my Windows 7 multiple times, but it keeps on making my computer stretched or smooshed larger than before. I tried everything to fix it but none of it works. My keys are also really delayed and not working, it takes a super long time to shut down and restart...
  3. My windows 7 screen is acting weird

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows 7 screen is acting weird: I tried restarting my Windows 7 multiple times, but it keeps on making my computer stretched or smooshed larger than before. I tried everything to fix it but none of it works. My keys are also really delayed and not working, it takes a super long time to shut down and restart...
  4. Bug in "Screen Saver Settings"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bug in "Screen Saver Settings": If a user does not have any image files in their "Libraries\Pictures" folder, the user is given a repeating error message in "Screen Saver Settings". See the screenshot below. [ATTACH]...
  5. Sudden blue screen - driver related? Settings acting weird

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden blue screen - driver related? Settings acting weird: Hello, I just played my usual session of poker. Before the session already something weird was going on - the system showed no graphic card driver was installed, despite there being one installed obviously, as before. But well, it all worked as usual. Anyways, I played...
  6. Screen saver setting no work

Screen saver setting no work: When the screen saver option loads, it doesn't work, same with backgrounds. Waiting does not work.[IMG][IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-saver-setting-no-work/cd39cf15-1168-4cc2-9642-7c1ad7356f2a
  7. my lock screen is acting weird

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    my lock screen is acting weird: so, i have a medion akoya computer and you know how there is the lock screen with the picture and the lock screen with the login box, whenever i try to go onto the lock screen with the login box, it goes back to the lock screen with the picture instead. now, before you say...
  8. Screen Saver Settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen Saver Settings: I have a Windows 10 version 1809 and when doing some testing on screen saver settings for 2 minutes before going to a screen saver with a password. on my test computer via GPO one of the GP spilled over to my production computer. I have removed the GPO and the from the...
  9. Screen Saver Settings

Screen Saver Settings: My Screen Saver Settings get reset every time I reboot. Specially, the "tick" in "on resume, Display log-on screen" gets unticked so that my screen doesn't lock. Any idea how I can stop this happening?...
  10. Screen glitch scratch and acting weird

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen glitch scratch and acting weird: https://vimeo.com/302179798 It has happened way before I restarted. Then I go ahead with hard restart and this happened. I suspected that I have ran heavy load on my graphic card (model training with tensorflow gpu). Any help?...