Windows 10: Screen saver starting automatically after 1 minute of inactivity

Discus and support Screen saver starting automatically after 1 minute of inactivity in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have changed my power settings in Windows 10 so many times I cannot count. I have my power settings set to not refresh until 20 minutes and have even... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by TraceyClark2, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Screen saver starting automatically after 1 minute of inactivity

I have changed my power settings in Windows 10 so many times I cannot count. I have my power settings set to not refresh until 20 minutes and have even set them to 40 minutes of non-use and Windows 10 continually locks my screen after 1 minute or less of inactivity.

This is a huge problem and none of the online recommendations have worked, I have tried them all. This problem is causing me a huge lack of productivity and frustration and I can't find a fix or a way to troubleshoot this issue from Microsoft that is more recent than 2016.

I am seriously considering selling my new HP laptop and getting a Mac, this is insane. I would appreciate a response and instructions on how to fix this annoying system problem.

Thank you.

***Original title: Power Save Mode Not Working - Screen Saver Begins within 1 minute of non-activity***

:)

TraceyClark2, Feb 13, 2019
  2. PEZ
    Pez Win User

Screen Saver

Hi all.

I have Windows 10, 64 bit, latest updates/ build.

This past week, my screen saver won't come on.

I always have my screen saver set to come on after 1 minute of inactivity.

I've made no major hardware/ software changes to my system recently.

From some general searching I did on the 'Net, one of the culprits of interference of a screen saver not coming on is pending Windows Updates. But when I check Settings/ Updates & Security, there is nothing pending, I am up-to-date.

Another culprit can sometimes be a faulty mouse, in which the computer "thinks" it picks up movement from the mouse. I have an optical mouse, a Razer Deathadder; I checked the optical lens on the bottom, no dust or hairs blocking the view.

I even came across something saying to check your Power settings. Personally, I always have had my Power settings set to:
    Display: Never Turn Off
    Hard disc (computer to sleep): Never Off

I've done it this way for years with the screen saver coming on after 1 minute of inactivity with no problems. One of the suggestions of Power Settings is to accept Windows suggestion for it (something like 30 minutes monitor; 2 hours hard disc); it didn't help, screen saver still not coming on.

Is there a little test/ command line prompt that can be run to determine what may be interfering with the screen saver coming on?

For now, the only way I can get it to come on is after launching the screen saver interface, from the drop-down menu selecting a screen saver, then clicking on the Preview button.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

3. pegidiDC Win User
    Win10 laptop shuts down after 1 minute of inactivity, ignores screen saver

My Win10 HP laptop [Intel/Invidia] (not an upgrade from WIN8) goes to sleep after about one minute if inactivity. It ignores the screen saver that is set to engage at one minute. Happens most of the time, but there are rare instances when it will behave.
    I have disconnected external drives, etc., but this is getting frustrating. Power settings are all set for greater than 15 minutes. Norton finds no mischief...

Thanx

Phil

pegidiDC, Feb 13, 2019
  4. JDIDDY_66 Win User

Screen saver starting automatically after 1 minute of inactivity

how to stop Windows 10 desktop auto lock after 1 minute of inactivity requiring password

I am operating Windows 10 and my machine automatically goes into lock screen after one minute of inactivity. My settings for screen saver and lock screen are not set for one minute and this automatic one minute lock gets very frustrating. Please assist
    in a solution to stop my machine from automatically going into lock screen after one minute.

JDIDDY_66, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

Screen saver starting automatically after 1 minute of inactivity

1. Screen saver starting automatically after 1 minute of inactivity - Similar Threads - Screen saver starting

2. lock screen after inactivity only approx. 1 minute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lock screen after inactivity only approx. 1 minute: My intel laptop goes to lock screen after approx. 1 minute. Windows 11 homeThere is a lot of info about screen saver times, when plugged in / or on battery. a different subjectI find it so annoying when I am working, the screen locks, facial recognition or pin needed to carry...
  3. lock screen after inactivity only approx. 1 minute

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lock screen after inactivity only approx. 1 minute: My intel laptop goes to lock screen after approx. 1 minute. Windows 11 homeThere is a lot of info about screen saver times, when plugged in / or on battery. a different subjectI find it so annoying when I am working, the screen locks, facial recognition or pin needed to carry...
  4. Screen invariably goes black after 1 minute of inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen invariably goes black after 1 minute of inactivity: I use Windows 10 Home. After system update Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0 I find that desktop screen goes black after 1 min of inactivity, no matter what I specify in settings: 10 min, 30 min or 'never'....
  5. Screen invariably goes black after 1 minute of inactivity

Screen invariably goes black after 1 minute of inactivity: I use Windows 10 Home. After system update Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0 I find that desktop screen goes black after 1 min of inactivity, no matter what I specify in settings: 10 min, 30 min or 'never'....
  6. Screen invariably goes black after 1 minute of inactivity

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Screen saver does not automatically start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen saver does not automatically start: So recently I did a clean install of Windows 10 21H2. This was the version I was running before the clean install. My screen saver worked normally before but now it will not automatically start. I have tried unplugging all my USB devices, the same ones I have had plugged in...
  8. Screen saver does not automatically start

Screen saver does not automatically start: So recently I did a clean install of Windows 10 21H2. This was the version I was running before the clean install. My screen saver worked normally before but now it will not automatically start. I have tried unplugging all my USB devices, the same ones I have had plugged in...
  9. Screen saver does not automatically start

10. New HP laptop locks the screen 1 minute after the inactivity

New HP laptop locks the screen 1 minute after the inactivity: I use a new HP laptop and have a problem which I am unable to solve. It is connected with power settings. I tried to changed them several times but with no avail. My computer locks the screen 1 minute after the inactivity. Hhelp me to sort it out I am in despair...