Windows 10: Screen sometimes goes black when doing certain things

Discus and support Screen sometimes goes black when doing certain things in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had to reinstall Windows 10 a little while ago, and since I did, there have been some oddities involving black screens.I installed Windows 10 from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by herrshaun, Jun 16, 2017.

1. herrshaun Win User

Screen sometimes goes black when doing certain things

I had to reinstall Windows 10 a little while ago, and since I did, there have been some oddities involving black screens.I installed Windows 10 from a flash drive, which worked fine. Then I immediately tried to install the Creators update. On the installation screen after rebooting, it would immediately go to black. I tried restarting many times, and it kept going black almost immediately. I managed to get past this by hitting Enter a few times.Now, at random intervals, doing things like dragging a selection in Paint or accessing/resizing certain windows will cause my screen to go completely black. If I hit alt-tab, it will select something else and my display will come back. However, if I try to go back to that window or perform that action again, it goes black again and I have to alt-tab.The thing is, this doesn't always happen, and when it does, a reboot often fixes it. I think it might be related to restarting, because the past two times I remember it happening, I restarted my computer during a session for another reason (update, had to complete an install, etc).It's bothersome and I would appreciate any insight you can give me. I would prefer not to have to reinstall Windows again.

:)

herrshaun, Jun 16, 2017

2. After Windows 10 Screen Keeps Going Black/White/Grey and Lined

Starting the day I installed the Windows 10 download my screen periodically goes black/white/grey and lined, sort of like old timey TV. Sometimes it goes for a minute or so and then stops on it's own. Sometimes I have to restart my computer to get it
    to stop. One really weird thing is when I take a screen shot of the problem the picture looks normal...

KatieGaertner, Jun 16, 2017
  3. Screen sometimes goes black when I play MCW10 or YouTube videos

Thank you for all the information you provided.

To troubleshoot performance issues in Windows 10, we suggest that you follow these methods below and see if it helps.

Method 1: Perform clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using minimal set of drivers and start up programs. This eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.

Please click this
    link
    to know how to perform a clean boot in Windows 10.

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Method 2: Deployment Image Servicing and Management

If a Windows image becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files and correct the problem.

To repair an image, please follow the steps below:

• Type cmd in search charm.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, then click Run as administrator.
    • Copy and paste the following command into your Command Prompt: DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • Hit Enter to execute the command. It may take a few minutes to finish. If you find The operation completed
      successfully
      , click X to close the Command Prompt.

Method 3: Run System file Checker

Ensure the backup of your all personal files exists before executing System File Checker in case of HDD failure.

• Type cmd in search charm.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, then click Run as administrator.
    • Copy and paste the following command into your Command Prompt: sfc /scannow
    • Hit Enter to execute the command. It may take a few minutes to finish. If you find
      Verification 100% complete, click X to close the Command Prompt.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Jun 16, 2017
  4. Henry2 Win User

Good afternoon,
    first thing to do, if the system let you do that, it is to update the system drivers, i d say bios, chipset and graphic card mainly ; while if you cannot do that, try to start the system in safe mode https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-in-safe-mode

Henry2, Jun 16, 2017
  5. herrshaun Win User
    I installed all of my drivers immediately after the update was installed. What else?

herrshaun, Jun 17, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    Open administrative command prompt or administrative power shell and type or copy and paste these commands:

1) winver (in the pop up view your windows version and build and post into the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) chkdsk /scan

Right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click edit then copy > paste into the thread.

4) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration move the dot from normal startup to selective start up, uncheck load startup items, click on service tab, in the left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services, in the lower right click on disable all, click apply or ok and do not reboot)

5) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager click on the startup tab, click on the status column so that it sorts with enable on the top, right click each row that displays enable and change to disable)

6) shutdown /r

The computer will reboot and will be in clean boot. Use the computer under typical use and reboot at various times.
    Monitor the performance. Are the boots short or longer? Are the shutdowns shorter or longer? Are the more or fewer hangs? Are there more or fewer black screens?

Turn off Windows fast startup: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Again assess the computer's performance under typical conditions.

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen sometimes goes black when doing certain things - Similar Threads - Screen sometimes goes

2. Screen sometimes goes black when playing video games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen sometimes goes black when playing video games.: Hello! I am using a GeForce MX110 as my Laptop Graphics card. I recently upgraded to a windows 11 OS It was all good then when I started playing Roblox / Minecraft a black screen would pop out for like 1 second. And then or resume or stay black. It;s very irritating help...
  3. Screen sometimes goes black when playing video games.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen sometimes goes black when playing video games.: Hello! I am using a GeForce MX110 as my Laptop Graphics card. I recently upgraded to a windows 11 OS It was all good then when I started playing Roblox / Minecraft a black screen would pop out for like 1 second. And then or resume or stay black. It;s very irritating help...
  4. screen goes black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen goes black: My screen goes black only when I move my cursor to certain spots on the screen, these spots change randomly for ex if I restart or if I open something, it just changes.I have tried updating my display driver, or using win+ctrl+shift+b or even using power troubleshoot, none of...
  5. Computer Screen Goes Black When in Certain Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Screen Goes Black When in Certain Apps: So every time I go into an app such as Unity or even a game my computer screen goes black and my pc becomes very loud. I do not think this is because my pc is bad because these apps used to work perfectly fine 7 months ago. Is this some sort of hardware issue?...
  6. Computer Screen Goes Black When in Certain Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Screen Goes Black When in Certain Apps: So every time I go into an app such as Unity or even a game my computer screen goes black and my pc becomes very loud. I do not think this is because my pc is bad because these apps used to work perfectly fine 7 months ago. Is this some sort of hardware issue?...
  7. Screen goes to black . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes to black . . .: My computer runs, Windows 10.There's one setting, I don't know how to change?After about, 30 seconds. My screen goes to black.When I move my mouse, it comes back on.But, it goes to the login screen. When it comes, back on?And, I have to put in my password. And, I don't want...
  8. Screen goes black

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen goes black: I am using Windows 10, my setup is running the most recent windows update, and I keep my system safe with up to date Norton360. But I am pretty computer illiterate. So I ask with the utter most sincerity to simplify as much as you can. I've been having a reoccurring problem...
  9. Screen goes black when opening certain programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen goes black when opening certain programs: Hi, this issue started recently. No software or hardware changes were made around the time. I have 3 monitors, and whenever I open certain programs, one of the side monitors will go black. I have ruled out loose connectors, and other hardware issues, as it's usually the...
  10. Screen goes black at random times. Sometimes when idle.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen goes black at random times. Sometimes when idle.: PC works for a while after screen goes black and then it reboots on its own. I tried reinstalling GPU drivers but that didn't work (used that software that completely wipes them first). I suspect the GPU or PSU might be the culpit here. PSU is 730W Thermaltake Smart SE...