Windows 10: Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode

Discus and support Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Simply put, every time I close my laptop lid enters sleep mode and reopen it, the screen stays black. I try waking it up by using my mouse and keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by eferni13, Sep 26, 2020.

1. eferni13 Win User

Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode

Simply put, every time I close my laptop lid enters sleep mode and reopen it, the screen stays black. I try waking it up by using my mouse and keyboard but nothing works. I have to do a force shutoff in order to get the screen working again. All of the windows updates are up-to-date, as well as the drivers from Lenovo but I have no clue what the issue is. Right now, I just have sleep mode turned off in the power management settings but it'd be nice to use sleep mode again. I have aLenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 if that helps.

:)

eferni13, Sep 26, 2020

2. Screen stays black after opening lid

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Are you able to boot the device to desktop with black screen from sleep mode?
    • From when are you facing this issue?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?

Hi, Thank You forgetting back to me so quickly.

To answer your questions:

1. I am NOT able to get from the black screen after I have opened the lid.

2. I'm assuming that when the lid is closed this automatically puts the computer to sleep. I can hear noise in the background, but can not get the black screen to go away without shutting down and rebooting.

3. I did see an error code when this happened, but was unable to read it because I was logging off.

When I restarted the computer, my desktop would not function. IE when I tried clicking on my task bar, nothing would happen. I powered off the computer, turned it on and it came up.

But again, after I leave the computer (with lid down) for more than 15 minutes, the same problem is happening.

I read through some previous suggestions on here, someone suggested to disable sleep/hibernate mode. I did so, and now things seem to be working OK. My concern is, #1 the problem isn't truly fixed, and #2 Will keeping the computer from going into sleep
    or hibernate mode cause issues?

LindaSardou, Sep 26, 2020
  3. drewd. Win User
    Screen stays black after opening lid/sleep

My Dell Inspiron is set to sleep when the lid is closed. When I open the lid, the keys light up, and the power button lights up, but the screen stays black and I have to hold the power button to shut the computer down and turn it back on. The computer
    is up to date with all Dell and Microsoft updates. This was never an issue until about a month ago. I have tried to find more information on how to fix this problem, but can't seem to find anything that works.

drewd., Sep 26, 2020
  4. Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode

Screen stays black after opening lid

Hi Linda,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the device with black screen once you wake up the system. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Are you able to boot the device to desktop with black screen from sleep mode?
    • From when are you facing this issue?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated display drivers on your computer.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Sharath Srinivasa
    on August 7, 2015 and check if it helps you to resolve the issue.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

If you are not able to boot the device to lock screen refer to: Blank or black screen before sign-in

If you are able to access/ boot the device to lock screen and then black screen issue occurs refer to:

Black screen after sign-in and you can see a mouse cursor

Try the troubleshooting steps mentioned accordingly.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue and with the required information for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode

1. Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode - Similar Threads - Screen stays black

2. Black screen after opening laptop screen from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen after opening laptop screen from sleep: I have a Lenovo ideapad 330S and I have been running into an issue lately. After I open my laptop screen from sleep, sometimes, the screen will go black with no cursor. My power button is lit up as well as my backlit keys. This also happens sometimes when I shut down my...
  3. Black Screen after sleep mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black Screen after sleep mode: Hi, I need help course my screen stays black after boot but I hear a beep, if I plug in my power supply. I set my pc in screen of mode and sleep. After 15 min I came back and could do anything with it, so I rebooted it. After the reboot it stays at a black screen but I can...
  4. Black screen after sleep mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after sleep mode: Hello. I updated windows last Saturday 19th September 2020 and after leaving it in sleep mode it doesn't work anymore. The computer is running, but the screen is black. I have already tried to press ctrl+shift+windows+B, but it doesn't work. When I force it to shut down by...
  5. Laptop screen stays black after sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop screen stays black after sleep: I have an HP Envy x360 2-in-1 laptop that's about 2 years old now. Over the past few weeks I've had an odd problem where frequently after it goes to sleep I'll wake it up and it seems to come awake but the screen stays black. I can see the power light comes on, the fan spins...
  6. Screen does not stay off after sleep mode activates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen does not stay off after sleep mode activates: Recently my computer has no longer been shutting off it's screen when it has been inactive for a while. Which is to say, when I leave it running but idle with a few applications open - none of which have prevented the screen from shutting off in the past - the screen no...
  7. Screen stays black after opening lid/sleep

Screen stays black after opening lid/sleep: My Dell Inspiron is set to sleep when the lid is closed. When I open the lid, the keys light up, and the power button lights up, but the screen stays black and I have to hold the power button to shut the computer down and turn it back on. The computer is up to date with all...
  8. Screen stays black after opening lid

Screen stays black after opening lid: I have been getting this issue recently and out of nowhere. I've set my laptop to do nothing if the lid is closed. Previously it would work perfectly. II clos the lid and then re open it the screen wakes up fine. But now whenever i open the lid, the screen turns on...
  9. Laptop not shuting on from sleep automatically after opening the lid

Laptop not shuting on from sleep automatically after opening the lid: Hello there. I recently rebstarted my Sony Vaio laptop because of system problems and lost all Sony Vaio apps. After that the feature of closing the lid and the computer going into sleep was working but after i open the lid again I have to press the On Button so that the...
  10. Black & White screen from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black & White screen from sleep mode: Don't know if this is the correct place or not but here goes......I have 2 almost identical HP P6 desktop pc's 2400t/2420t bought new in 2013 both running Win10 Home and one of them is giving me a black & white screen instead of the regular color when I bring it out of sleep...