Windows 10: Screen stays gray after turned of and then on

Discus and support Screen stays gray after turned of and then on in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; The thing is, when I restart my PC, everything is fine, the monitors work perfectly, but when I turn a monitor off and then back on, the monitor just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/NymphantTree, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Screen stays gray after turned of and then on

The thing is, when I restart my PC, everything is fine, the monitors work perfectly, but when I turn a monitor off and then back on, the monitor just stays gray and don't full turn on.

The lights indicating the monitor is on light up when on, just that all I see a black or grey (And no, not grayscale).

This happened last night I guess as the monitors would not turn on when I wake up. I doubt it's the monitors that are the issue as both are affected, and they work fine before I turn them off.

I have had dual monitors for months, so surely that's not the problem.

I exited steam, gyazo, and other things fully with my one monitor that I didn't turn off to test the other monitor.

I experienced this issue and THEN downloaded recent windows updates, so I don't believe it's a windows update issue?

I recently downloaded VB audio cable and voicemeter to make a virtual soundboard, but that was a week ago and I have turned my monitors on and off before then with no problems.

Before steam and chrome loaded as the PC was booting up, I turned my monitors off and on and they worked, but after everything loaded then my monitors did not load when turned off and on, could it be chrome? Or something else windows does when loading up from a restart?

I tried turning off dark mode but that didn't seem to do much.

submitted by /u/NymphantTree
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/NymphantTree, Nov 8, 2019
  2. jpierce55 Win User

.26 goes gray if turned off/on...

I noticed the fan is staying on full blast on the new card, turned off the ati tool and then back on and the screen goes gray I have to restart the computer, this is on a 1900xtx. This is at stock core. I hope it is a bug and not the card.*Eek! Screen stays gray after turned of and then on :eek:

jpierce55, Nov 8, 2019
  3. "Gray Screen of Death"

Thanks for your informative post!

I had solved my 2D & gray screen issue using advice posted by erocker (see below)
    Mainly it involves creating a profile and putting higher 2D clocks:

Black Panther, Nov 8, 2019
  4. jwebby Win User

Screen stays gray after turned of and then on

"Gray Screen of Death"

Great post! I have a Sapphire HD 5750 sitting on the shelf going to waste due to the gray screen crash. I run dual monitors and mine crashes randomly in 2D and is guaranteed to gray screen playing any kind of video.

A few months ago I tried this method to no avail. The clocks stayed up just fine but it didn't help my crashing problem.

This post has motivated me to maybe find a reference HD 5750 bios of another brand and try flashing.

I've never flashed a video card, any suggestions or links where I might find a bios and flash utility?

Thanks again for the great post.

jwebby, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Screen stays gray after turned of and then on

1. Screen stays gray after turned of and then on - Similar Threads - Screen stays gray

2. Wifi not staying/turning on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi not staying/turning on.: I found this fix after fixing the airplane mode was on and couldn't turn it off. Once I could turn it off, my WiFi stopped turning on.I tried the Taskbar, I tried the settings, under WiFi but the button disappeared. I then went to the control panel and found my solution.I...
  3. Wifi not staying/turning on.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wifi not staying/turning on.: I found this fix after fixing the airplane mode was on and couldn't turn it off. Once I could turn it off, my WiFi stopped turning on.I tried the Taskbar, I tried the settings, under WiFi but the button disappeared. I then went to the control panel and found my solution.I...
  4. after sleep mode gray screen lines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after sleep mode gray screen lines: hi, when trying to "awake" my computer from sleep mode, vertical grayish lines appear as my screen, turn off and on several times until reloads windows 10, how do I get rid of that screen?...
  5. after sleep mode gray screen lines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    after sleep mode gray screen lines: hi, when trying to "awake" my computer from sleep mode, vertical grayish lines appear as my screen, turn off and on several times until reloads windows 10, how do I get rid of that screen?...
  6. Gray Screen after login

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Gray Screen after login: So I was cleaning out my windows 10 storage and i delete the temporary files, leaving downloads and pre installations untouchesI restarted my computer and after logging it it gray screens,, with a services panel that does nothingI have absolutely no idea how to fix this !...
  7. My laptop turns on but screen stays black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My laptop turns on but screen stays black: My laptop will turn on and lights will flash but the screen stays black. Ive tried connecting to a tv with an HDMI cord and it works like that but not without HDMI...
  8. Gray screen after bootanimation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Gray screen after bootanimation: Today I restarted my computer but after the boot animation I just get a gray screen. I tried another monitor. I looked inside and cleaned it. I removed all cables gave it a rest and tried again. I tried reinstalling windows now it shows an loading circle shortly before it...
  9. Hibernate turns off screen but power stays on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate turns off screen but power stays on: Hello. I have a Lenovo Yoga 730 laptop with Windows 10. Hibernate used to work on my laptop. However, now it only turns off my screen my screen goes black and the power stays on my power button's light remains on. If I touch my touch pad or press any key, then the screen...
  10. Gray screen after startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Gray screen after startup: Hi, Every time my desktop starts up, it has a gray screen for a long time, before the OS finally kicks in. My HDD seems to be loading a lot when this happens. My PC specs are: HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 6l080l4 80 GB, 7200 RPM Processor: Intel Celeron E3300 2.5 GHz, 2...