Windows 10: Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited

Discus and support Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have set screen time for my son, however every a couple of days it resets to unlimited. I don't think he hacked into my account but this keeps... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ALEXCHEN8, Nov 21, 2020.

1. ALEXCHEN8 Win User

Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited

I have set screen time for my son, however every a couple of days it resets to unlimited. I don't think he hacked into my account but this keeps happening.

Why??

:)

ALEXCHEN8, Nov 21, 2020

2. Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited / Very Buggy!

Hi,

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you resolve the issue.

To fix this, you need to delete any corrupted files, and re-download your settings from the Family Safety website.

If you experience more problems with Family Safety time limits and PC activity reporting, please re-run the

Family Safety Troubleshooter.

If you wish to delete the corrupted files yourself without using the troubleshooter, please follow these steps:

1) Make sure your children are signed out of any monitored accounts.

2) Sign in with an administrator account and find the folder that contains the corrupted files.

There are two ways to do this. The easiest way is to enter the complete file path:

• On the Start screen, type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls and press Enter.

• If you’d rather open each folder individually, follow these steps:
    a. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap
    Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click
    Search.)

b. Make sure that Apps is selected, and then enter
    Computer in the Search box.

c. Tap or click to open the Computer app. Open
    C:, open the ProgramData folder, open the
    Microsoft folder, open the Windows folder, and open the
    Parental Controls folder.

3) Delete all contents of the Parental Controls folder.

This will delete any corrupt files. Your settings will be downloaded again from familysafety.microsoft.com the next time you sign in.

Hope this helps, let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Nov 21, 2020
  3. JCO_705 Win User
    Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited / Very Buggy!

I have 2 child accounts set up in our "family" along with my account and my wife's.

I am able to set the screen time limitations for both boys' accounts and they generally work. HOWEVER it seems that every few days my wife will say that it seems one kid has been using the computer a lot, and I will go into the Microsoft Family settings
    and find that one or both of the accounts has switched back to UNLIMITED time every day (vs. the 1.5 hours that I had set earlier). I change it back to 1.5 hours and it holds for a while but then it seems to lose that setting.

Also it seems that the site may not be tracking time properly, unless it doesn't track time when on the "Unlimited" setting. For example when I look at HISTORY it shows 27 mins of usage yesterday, yet he used the PC much more than that.

WHY is this happening? I've already had many growing pains with having to pay money to "verify" the child account etc and like I said, the time limits seem to work when they want to work, but then they just reset themselves.

Is there some internet-based workaround that my son has found on Youtube or something that lets him jam the Microsoft time limits? Or is Windows 10 family time limits just very buggy?

Time limits are useless if they keep resetting to UNLIMITED randomly.......

JCO_705, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited

MS Family Screen Time keeps resetting to unlimited

Hi,

My name is Angel. I am an Independent Advisor. Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To fix this, you need to delete any corrupted files, and re-download your settings from the Family Safety website.

If you experience more problems with Family Safety time limits and PC activity reporting, please re-run the Family Safety Troubleshooter.

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9836307

If you wish to delete the corrupted files yourself without using the troubleshooter, please follow these steps:

1) Make sure your children are signed out of any monitored accounts.

2) Sign in with an administrator account and find the folder that contains the corrupted files.

There are two ways to do this. The easiest way is to enter the complete file path:

On the Start screen, type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls and press Enter.

If you’d rather open each folder individually, follow these steps:

a. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

b. Make sure that Apps is selected, and then enter Computer in the Search box.

c. Tap or click to open the Computer app. Open C:, open the ProgramData folder, open the Microsoft folder, open the Windows folder, and open the Parental Controls folder.

3) Delete all contents of the Parental Controls folder.

This will delete any corrupt files. Your settings will be downloaded again from familysafety.microsoft.com the next time you sign in.

Source:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Angel.

AngelCarreno, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited

1. Screen Time / Family Safety Keeps Resetting to Unlimited - Similar Threads - Screen Family Safety

2. Microsoft Family Safety - screen time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Family Safety - screen time: Hi,I would like to ask if I can set screen time for non-Store apps and games. If not, are there any other alternatives for parental control?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-family-safety-screen-time/61c214d1-5502-4ffe-bcf5-645cd1f5abdc
  3. Microsoft Family Safety - screen time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Family Safety - screen time: Hi,I would like to ask if I can set screen time for non-Store apps and games. If not, are there any other alternatives for parental control?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-family-safety-screen-time/61c214d1-5502-4ffe-bcf5-645cd1f5abdc
  4. Family Safety not recording screen time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Safety not recording screen time: Family safety is not recording any screen time on my sons lap top at all, however it does appear to be connected to my son's device as it does pick up his web searchesMy sons lap top is windows 11, I am administrator on his account and he is a regular userWhen I log on as him...
  5. Family Safety Screen time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Family Safety Screen time: I have screen time settings for access to windows set to 8am but my children seem to be able to log in before this time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/family-safety-screen-time/b6f0f3f7-7368-430c-92b8-9abc96066196
  6. Family Safety Screen time

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family Safety Screen time: I have screen time settings for access to windows set to 8am but my children seem to be able to log in before this time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/family-safety-screen-time/b6f0f3f7-7368-430c-92b8-9abc96066196
  7. Family Safety Screen time

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Family Safety screen time issue

Family Safety screen time issue: I set up a Family Safety group to limit my kids' screen time. The screen limits work, but when they request more time, the request email wasn't coming to my email. I could only see it when logging in to the Family Safety app. I couldn't figure out why. Then I got a call from...
  9. MS Family Screen Time keeps resetting to unlimited

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MS Family Screen Time keeps resetting to unlimited: I used screen time limiting successfully in the past. But since a few months it doesn't work anymore. I set device limits to ON and configure time limits and allowance windows, it works for maybe 12-24 hours but later I find out that my children have unlimited screen time....
  10. Family Safety Screen Time

Family Safety Screen Time: I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10. I created new Microsoft accounts for my kids and added those accounts to the child accounts in Windows 10. The problem is that the Family Safety screen time that was configured on the Microsoft website are not being enforced on the...