Windows 10: Screen Turns Off and Desktop Resolution Changes

Discus and support Screen Turns Off and Desktop Resolution Changes in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; The title probably could use some work. Feel free to edit, anyone, if you know a better one. Here's the deal: I've got a big monitor running the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by jp2code, Nov 17, 2015.

1. jp2code Win User

Screen Turns Off and Desktop Resolution Changes

The title probably could use some work. Feel free to edit, anyone, if you know a better one.

Here's the deal: I've got a big monitor running the recommended 3840 x 2160 resolution.

I have items all over my desktop that I am working with.

If I let the screen sleep after a certain amount of time, when I come back and wake the screen back up, I find all of my windows bunched up into the upper 1/4 area of the screen.

If someone were to ask me, I'd tell them that Windows 10's screen saver is still configured to run as a tablet, and it doesn't recognize a resolution that big.

Is there a fix for this? A patch or upgrade?

I found this forum when I did a google search and found this similar post:

How to fix moving, resizing, disappearing, etc desktop icons?

That did not fix my issues, though.

:)

jp2code, Nov 17, 2015
  2. John582n Win User

Problem with games

Hi Martha

Try changing various screen resolutions to see which is best:

- From your desktop, right-click and select Display Settings.

- Select the Advanced display settings option at the bottom of the menu.

- Adjust your screen resolution to 1024 x 768 (or higher) and click Apply.

Alternatively see if there is a game option to turn off "Full screen"

John582n, Nov 17, 2015
  3. D1DAD Win User
    Windows 10 has changed.

Windows 10 changed appearance yesterday when desktop was turned on. May have clicked on something with my mouse. My screen has a black edge all the way around and the bottom toolbar is in the black edge. I cant select the 1920 x 1080 resolution for my
    screen and the screen icons look furry and a bit distorted as do all my programs. There is no option to select sleep when I want shut the computer off. I have to restart or turn it off. Restart does not solve the problem.

D1DAD, Nov 17, 2015
  4. Screen Turns Off and Desktop Resolution Changes

After the monitor has went to sleep and woken up with everything displaying incorrectly, if you can, check the resolution that windows is putting out, because if windows is putting out 3840x2160 still, it could be that the issue is within the monitor or your GPU, I have had a similar problem with a monitor before, I doubt it'll be a hardware issue. What card are you running by the way?

DoctorFlash, Nov 17, 2015
  5. jp2code Win User
    It acts like the display settings reverts to 800x600 as the monitor turns off, then pops back to 3840x2160 when it turns back on, leaving all of my desktop icons and open windows in the 800x600 region.

The monitor is oen of the ASUS HDMI MHL versions. I can't see a part number listed on it anywhere, and the Advanced Device Driver only shows "Generic PnP Monitor".

Screen Turns Off and Desktop Resolution Changes [​IMG]

Device Manager lists it as the Intel HD Graphics 4600.

That website had a utility to update the driver. Mine isn't that old, but it could be old enough that Intel already discovered this issue and fixed it.

I'll update this thread later after seeing if that fixed it.

jp2code, Nov 17, 2015
  6. jp2code Win User
    Install isn't looking good.

jp2code, Nov 17, 2015
  7. jp2code Win User
    {meh!}

Installed.

Rebooted.

Tested.

Didn't work. Win10 still crams everything into the upper left corner after the screen goes off and comes back on.

So, no one else gets this? I'm interested to know if others have resolutions set this high. If so and they don't have this problem, it is a graphics/driver issue. If others get it using a different graphics cards, it is a Windows 10 issue.

There is another developer here at work with the same system that I have, and he also has the same problem.

jp2code, Nov 17, 2015
  8. Screen Turns Off and Desktop Resolution Changes

Given that your monitor is this one, try installing this driver and see if that helps?

DoctorFlash, Nov 18, 2015
  9. jp2code Win User
    I downloaded the driver for the graphics adapter directly instead of using the update utility from Intel. The updated driver installed this time with no issues, and I rebooted.

After the driver updated, I was able to install the driver for the ASUS PB287Q monitor. Every attempt before would not accept the .inf file.

With the updated driver for the graphics adapter and the correct driver for the monitor, I felt I was ready to go.

I set the monitor to "sleep in 2 minutes" and went on a head call (restroom break, for those that don't know that language).

When I came back and woke up the display from sleep, everything was shrunk and jammed into the corner.

POO-DOO! :censored:

jp2code, Nov 18, 2015
  10. Hmm... honestly, this sounds like a video driver bug, could you try going into device manager, finding your monitor/graphics and updating from there?

DoctorFlash, Nov 18, 2015
  11. jp2code Win User
    Windows reports I've got the latest already.

jp2code, Nov 18, 2015
  12. batlhilz Win User
    try DDU and remove all the graphics drivers and then clean re-install?

batlhilz, Nov 24, 2015
  13. jp2code Win User

jp2code, Nov 24, 2015
  14. batlhilz Win User
    batlhilz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen Turns Off and Desktop Resolution Changes - Similar Threads - Screen Turns Off

2. Screen Resolution Stuck After Turning Monitor Off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen Resolution Stuck After Turning Monitor Off: I built a PC for gaming recently and encountered some strange behavior. Namely, if I turn the (1440p, DP) monitor off with the computer on, the resolution switches to 1024x768 (with the option of 800x600) and will not switch back until I reboot. Has anyone seen this?...
  3. Game Changes Desktop Resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Changes Desktop Resolution: Hello, I am trying to get Silent Hunter 3 wokring on my computer, but mistakenly de-clicked the full screen option in the hopes that the game would display in full screen stupid, I know. The orginal setting was already on full screen. What I did not know, however, what...
  4. Change screen resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change screen resolution: Since I installed Win 10 (over Win 7) icons JPGs are distorted- too wide The res recommended for this monitor is not available when I go to personalize on the desktop....
  5. change screen resolution

change screen resolution: I have a laptop running Windows 10 and screen resolution of 800*600. I’d like to increase this resolution so that I will be able to watch some programs. Before the upgrade I used Ubuntu and Windows 8 on this computer and didn’t have any problems with changing resolution...
  6. change screen resolution

change screen resolution: how do I change my screen resolution ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-screen-resolution/34c8b5fe-01c1-4a31-bb33-5f496e03e8b9
  7. Screen resolution changes when monitor is turned off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen resolution changes when monitor is turned off: Hi guys. First off lemme start by praising the people who run and post on this board, it's an endless mine of informations and a never ending academy for learning all the tips and tricks of anything pc-related...so keep up the good work guys! Unfortunately I'm writing here...
  8. Screen resolution changes when monitor switched off

Screen resolution changes when monitor switched off: Due to upgrading my M2 sytem boot drive I've had to reinstall Windows 10 and I've come across a plethora of problems that I had when first installed it last year. This one I know there is a Reg fix for it but trying to find it has proved fruitless. I have a 4k monitor and...
  9. Screen resolution will not change

Screen resolution will not change: My screen resolution is currently 1024 x 768, but needs to be 2048 x 1536. It will not change when I go to settings, I merely get a message that says "Input not Support". When I tried the help online, it said I need to update the graphics driver, but two attempts to do so...
  10. Automatic change screen resolution and turn off pc Sound

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatic change screen resolution and turn off pc Sound: Dear Sir I setup several times my pc. After setup its running well but when i connect net after some times windows change its resolution automatically and turn off pc sound. Please help me to get out from this problem. Arif 29008

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i clicked optimise performance and desktop background switched off