Windows 10: Screen turns off, but pc is still running

Discus and support Screen turns off, but pc is still running in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, When I turn of my laptop, the screen turns off but the fans are still running, and the power led is still on and it takes another 5 to 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Tomescu Ilie Alexandru, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Screen turns off, but pc is still running

Hello,

When I turn of my laptop, the screen turns off but the fans are still running, and the power led is still on and it takes another 5 to 10 minutes for it to fully turn off. When in safe mode it works just fine. I tried updating the bios, reinstalling windows but the problem still persists.

Any ideas on what I can try next?

:)

Tomescu Ilie Alexandru, Oct 7, 2019

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Oct 7, 2019
  3. RCoon Win User
    PC Build Steps

1.1 - Ideally put optical in SATA 0, and SSD in SATA 1, this will cause the optical drive to be the default 1st boot option. You can change it manually if not, but I like it this way
    2.infinity - yes, that's fine. if it's above 70 +/- 5 degrees, then it may just need a repaste/remount

RCoon, Oct 7, 2019
  4. Screen turns off, but pc is still running

PC goes into black screen and froze

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not a software related issue which is why I was suggesting that you remove the video card to start with since it's such an easy process of elimination step.

I'm not familiar with AMD CPUs, I did see that you had listed in your system specs but I had no idea whether or not it has an iGPU

Is there any possibility of you being able to get your hands on any compatible video card at all?it would be the easiest step to try to troubleshoot or at least one of the easier ones. You should be able to get into the bios without anything but A display cable hooked up to the motherboard

jboydgolfer, Oct 7, 2019
Thema:

Screen turns off, but pc is still running

1. Screen turns off, but pc is still running - Similar Threads - Screen turns off

2. My PC will turn off but the fans will still run even if the monitor is also off and shows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC will turn off but the fans will still run even if the monitor is also off and shows...: When this happens i have to force a power off by holding in the power button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-will-turn-off-but-the-fans-will-still-run/8cf8223b-fe56-4fb3-abae-d3d02e1321c1
  3. My PC will turn off but the fans will still run even if the monitor is also off and shows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC will turn off but the fans will still run even if the monitor is also off and shows...: When this happens i have to force a power off by holding in the power button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-will-turn-off-but-the-fans-will-still-run/8cf8223b-fe56-4fb3-abae-d3d02e1321c1
  4. Screen turn off leaving monitor still on.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen turn off leaving monitor still on.: I was amazed at the Location synchronization when logging out. Attentively leaving the screen on when near.I really like the pattern of the computer knowing I AM at the console....
  5. Screen turn off leaving monitor still on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen turn off leaving monitor still on.: I was amazed at the Location synchronization when logging out. Attentively leaving the screen on when near.I really like the pattern of the computer knowing I AM at the console....
  6. Screen turn off leaving monitor still on.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PC, crashing a lot monitor turns off pc still on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC, crashing a lot monitor turns off pc still on: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sysOver the last few months i have noticed my pc keeps crashing a lot and its mainly every day and its really frustrating.I have investigated as to why by going on the 'view reliability history' and it just says hardware error with a lot of...
  8. family screen time turned off yet still locking pc

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    family screen time turned off yet still locking pc: i wanted to set up screen time for myself and created a alt account that wasn't signed into my pc, when i got locked out and removed screen time restrictions and even disbanded the family, i still cannot use my pc as it shows the same locked out message requiring me to...
  9. Laptop doesnt turn on after restart and the fan is still running while the screen is off.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop doesnt turn on after restart and the fan is still running while the screen is off.: I noticed that after my laptop update from 1803 version to 1909, my Laptop doesn't turn on after restart and the fan is still running while the screen is off. But when I shut down, everything is normal. I've tried format and re-install windows 10. Everything's fine after I...
  10. How to turn off screen of a laptop but keep PC running

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn off screen of a laptop but keep PC running: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows offers a Sleep Mode where it temporarily stops everything on Windows. While resuming back is quick, but if you want to blackout your screen instantly, then there is no inbuilt method. In this post, we will share a list [...] This post How to turn off...