Windows 10: Screen turns off, but pc is still running

Discus and support Screen turns off, but pc is still running in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, When I turn of my laptop, the screen turns off but the fans are still running, and the power led is still on and it takes another 5 to 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Tomescu Ilie Alexandru, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Screen turns off, but pc is still running

Hello,

When I turn of my laptop, the screen turns off but the fans are still running, and the power led is still on and it takes another 5 to 10 minutes for it to fully turn off. When in safe mode it works just fine. I tried updating the bios, reinstalling windows but the problem still persists.

Any ideas on what I can try next?

:)

Tomescu Ilie Alexandru, Oct 7, 2019

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Oct 7, 2019
  3. RCoon Win User
    PC Build Steps

1.1 - Ideally put optical in SATA 0, and SSD in SATA 1, this will cause the optical drive to be the default 1st boot option. You can change it manually if not, but I like it this way
    2.infinity - yes, that's fine. if it's above 70 +/- 5 degrees, then it may just need a repaste/remount

RCoon, Oct 7, 2019
  4. Screen turns off, but pc is still running

PC goes into black screen and froze

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not a software related issue which is why I was suggesting that you remove the video card to start with since it's such an easy process of elimination step.

I'm not familiar with AMD CPUs, I did see that you had listed in your system specs but I had no idea whether or not it has an iGPU

Is there any possibility of you being able to get your hands on any compatible video card at all?it would be the easiest step to try to troubleshoot or at least one of the easier ones. You should be able to get into the bios without anything but A display cable hooked up to the motherboard

jboydgolfer, Oct 7, 2019
Thema:

Screen turns off, but pc is still running

1. Screen turns off, but pc is still running - Similar Threads - Screen turns off

2. pc randomly turns off without blue screen and restarts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pc randomly turns off without blue screen and restarts: My rig: CPU Ryzen 2600 OC @4.1GHz VGA GTX 1080 Ti Ram Corsair OC @3200 MHz 16 GB SSD Galax 240 GB HDD1 segate 2 TB HDD2 WD 2 TB SSHD segate 2 TB PSU Seasonic M12ll 750 bronze Case Cooler Master CM 690 III Firstly, I try to fully load my system (Stress test for GPU and...
  3. Screen not turning off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen not turning off: My screen is supposed to turn off after 4 minutes, but it is not; just started doing this tonight. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-not-turning-off/d4dde6c0-82c1-4eda-9bf3-451d2b9021be
  4. Turn off the laptop screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn off the laptop screen: Is there a way to turn off the laptop screen (Win10) when connected to an external monitor and leave the laptop on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-the-laptop-screen/a831a9b7-e2a1-4e60-8d2d-6e2f70cb5f67
  5. Laptop screen not turning off.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop screen not turning off.: For some reason, the laptop that I had Windows 8.1 installed in last will not turn off after five or so minutes, like I had set it. This can be a huge drawback, because the laptop might be running on battery power and having the screen constantly on drains it. This usually...
  6. PC instantly turns off

in Windows 10 Support
    PC instantly turns off: Hey, I'm not too sure where too put this so here is the issue: Every time I turned my PC on it would stay on for a few seconds then reboot, no BIOS screen or anything showed, I finally got it to work and it said my BIOS was corrupt and it gave me an option to retrieve a...
  7. Screen backlight still on when screen turned off HP Elitepad

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen backlight still on when screen turned off HP Elitepad: Hi there, I have an HP Elitepad 900. The problem I seem to have is when I press the power button to turn off the screen, the screen turns off but the backlight stays on. Any help would be appreciated :-) There is an image attached. 15230
  8. Screen turns off shortly after turn on.

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen turns off shortly after turn on.: I have installed the Fall Creator's update that some how upset my printer settings but that is sorted. However I now find that when I turn on the computer the sign in screen appears but unless I log in within a few minutes the screen turns off. This is since the update so...
  9. PC is turning completely off? Set to turn off screen at 10 minutes

in Windows 10 Support
    PC is turning completely off? Set to turn off screen at 10 minutes: I use the PC, walk away, and everytime it sits awhile it is off when I go back. I have to push power button, it boots showing the bios screen just like it actually is completely off. There are no lights on, the PC does not react to keyboard or mouse, only the power...
  10. PC not turning off

in Windows 10 Support
    PC not turning off: i upgraded my Win 10 PC, new MB, CPU, RAM & HDD a while ago but not really used it too much The problem i have is that the PC doesn't shut down and clicking on start > shut down, it just reboots. When i press the on button on the case for 5+ seconds to turn the PC off it...