Windows 10: screen was blanking for 10 seconds every few minutes - why?

Discus and support screen was blanking for 10 seconds every few minutes - why? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Do I need a new video card, or a new monitor, or neither? By way of background explanation, I recently rebuilt my rig with a new AMD X570 motherboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by x509, Apr 28, 2020.

1. x509 Win User

screen was blanking for 10 seconds every few minutes - why?

Do I need a new video card, or a new monitor, or neither?

By way of background explanation, I recently rebuilt my rig with a new AMD X570 motherboard and CPU and RAM. After one week, the system stopped working, and not even the fans would spin when I pressed the power switch. So I stripped the machine down completely and even removed the CMOS backup battery and left it out for 30 minutes, per the recommendation in a thread in a different forum. I used a power supply tester to verify that all voltages and the Power Good signal were within specs. So I put the system back together and it has been running fine now for several days. End of background explanation.

Note that I did not change the video card (yet). I'm using the same Windows 10 installation, and installed all the drivers for that motherboard from the vendor's website.

This morning the system went through several cycle of the screen blanking for about 10 seconds and then returning to normal. The system overall kept running. That all happened about six hours ago., and it's been completely normal since.

So what happened? Do I need to update the video card driver, because I switched from an Intel to AMD CPU? Is my Dell 2412 monitor beginning to fail? (It's old enough ...) Do i just get a new video card on general principles?

- - - Updated - - -

Screen just started blanking again.

:)

2. DaveHD Win User

Second Monitor is Blank after Windows 10

My setup is a Dell Inspiron 2350 with HDMI to second Monitor, a Dell P2815Q. After upgrading to Windows 10 and updating all drivers and Bios, my second monitor is blank. The system recognizes the second monitor and on very rare occasions, my second monitor
    will work, but within a minute, it begins to derez, flicker and go black. I've tried new cable, different refresh rates, and screen resolutions with no luck. Any suggestions? There is no alternate video output rom the Inspiron to try. Thanks for any suggestions.

DaveHD, Apr 28, 2020
  3. Blank Screen

Hi Virginia,

Conflicts with third-party software and outdated graphic drivers are common contributors to the black screen issue that you're having. To isolate the said issue, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages before getting a blank screen?
    • Are you experiencing this when using a particular app?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer settings prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this
    article
    which talks about the steps you can take to resolve blank screen errors.

We'll wait for your response and assist you accordingly.

Angela Pun, Apr 28, 2020
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Screen goes blank after 10 seconds

Hi Sukki,

Conflicts with the screensaver settings is one of the possible reasons why your screen goes blank after 10 seconds. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the Windows key, type winver, and press the Enter key.
    • Do you have a third-party security software installed?
    • Have you tried setting the screensaver settings to none?

Meanwhile, you can try to reset the Power options and check if it helps. You can follow the steps below:

• Click Start.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click the Command Prompt, and select ‘Run as Administrator’ and enter the following command, then hit Enter:

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
    • When complete, type exit and hit Enter. Restart the computer.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Eric Ber, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

1. screen was blanking for 10 seconds every few minutes - why? - Similar Threads - screen was blanking

2. Why is my screen flashing black for a few seconds every 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my screen flashing black for a few seconds every 5 minutes: I’ve tried updating my driver and even disabling and reenabling it, I’ve tried hard resetting my pc pressing the button for 5 seconds. I’ve tried to roll back my driver, I’ve tried updating that and windows, I’ve verified game files in the app, I didnt really have this issue...
  3. Why is my screen flashing black for a few seconds every 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my screen flashing black for a few seconds every 5 minutes: I’ve tried updating my driver and even disabling and reenabling it, I’ve tried hard resetting my pc pressing the button for 5 seconds. I’ve tried to roll back my driver, I’ve tried updating that and windows, I’ve verified game files in the app, I didnt really have this issue...
  4. Why is my screen flashing black for a few seconds every 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My laptop screen goes black for a second every few minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop screen goes black for a second every few minutes: Hey so, this has started happening 1-2 days ago where my laptop screen randomly goes black for a second, it appears to happen every few minutes or so, it doesn't do it by an action I do or anything, just randomly.I really don't know what to do, I've down sfc/scannow and dism...
  6. My laptop screen goes black for a second every few minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop screen goes black for a second every few minutes: Hey so, this has started happening 1-2 days ago where my laptop screen randomly goes black for a second, it appears to happen every few minutes or so, it doesn't do it by an action I do or anything, just randomly.I really don't know what to do, I've down sfc/scannow and dism...
  7. My laptop screen goes black for a second every few minutes

8. Ethernet keeps disconnecting every three minutes for a few seconds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet keeps disconnecting every three minutes for a few seconds: Wired Ethernet randomly disconnects occasionallyHello, I've been having trouble with my Ethernet connection to my computer.Recently, after installing a few games from the Xbox Game Pass my computer has randomly disconnected my Ethernet connection to it.I've made sure the...
  9. Why does my screen freeze every few seconds.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does my screen freeze every few seconds.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/KaosZeezor [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gdjuf3/why_does_my_screen_freeze_every_few_seconds/
  10. screen was blanking for 10 seconds every few minutes - why?

screen was blanking for 10 seconds every few minutes - why?: Do I need a new video card, or a new monitor, or neither? By way of background explanation, I recently rebuilt my rig with a new AMD X570 motherboard and CPU and RAM. After one week, the system stopped working, and not even the fans would spin when I pressed the power...