Windows 10: screen won't turn back on and the start menu characters are distorted

Discus and support screen won't turn back on and the start menu characters are distorted in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently did a clean install of windows 10 and since then I've been having problems with it. Sometimes after I leave my computer for a while the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by itai9997, Aug 24, 2015.

1. itai9997 Win User

screen won't turn back on and the start menu characters are distorted

I recently did a clean install of windows 10 and since then I've been having problems with it.
    Sometimes after I leave my computer for a while the screen won't turn back on and one time it turned completely white while I was using it. Also, sometimes the characters in the start menu and notifications will get distorted (Screenshot attached).
    I already tried doing a reset and installing only the drivers but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

:)

itai9997, Aug 24, 2015
  2. itai9997 Win User

Recently installed Windows 10, screen won't turn back on and characters on the start menu look weird

I recently did a clean install of windows 10 and since then I've been having problems with it.

Sometimes after I leave my computer for a while the screen won't turn back on and one time it turned completely white while I was using it. Also, sometimes the characters in the start menu and notifications will get distorted, like in the images below:

screen won't turn back on and the start menu characters are distorted [​IMG]

screen won't turn back on and the start menu characters are distorted [​IMG]

I already tried doing a reset and installing only the drivers but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

itai9997, Aug 24, 2015
  3. the letters and objects on my screen are distorted.

Option 1:

Open Start > Settings > System > Display

Make sure recommended settings are selected for Scale and Layout and Screen resolution.

Another thing you can try:

uninstall your display driver then restart

Boot to the Windows 10 desktop

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Display adapters

Right click the current display adapter

Click Properties

Click Driver tab

Click Rollback driver if the option is available

If not

Right click the current display adapter

Click Uninstall

Exit Device Manager

Restart

If that does not work, try performing a system restore before this problem occurred.

I recommend you uninstall the KB4048955, KB4048954 (Windows 10 1703)

Microsoft issued an update for several versions of WIndows 10: KB4048954, KB4048955 that has caused issues with display drivers. If you know the make and model of your computer, you can try manually reinstalling the driver from the manufacturers website for
    your video driver.

Press Windows key + R

Type: appwiz.cpl

Hit Enter

Click View installed updates

Select the recent update

(This is the update you want to uninstall KB4048955)

Right click it then click uninstall.

Restart then see if stability is restored.

The update might try to install again. So, try blocking it.

Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?

Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

You can download it at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

If its the icons and toolbars, then Go back to Start > Settings > System > Display

Click in the Scale and layout list box, try another scale such as 125 to see if that works or play around with custom scaling.

Option 2:

Perform a repair upgrade

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Aug 24, 2015
Thema:

screen won't turn back on and the start menu characters are distorted

1. screen won't turn back on and the start menu characters are distorted - Similar Threads - screen won't turn

2. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  3. Please bring back full screen start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please bring back full screen start menu: Please bring it back . I have fully adapted to it. I could browse all my apps with a clean wallpaper with no desktop icon. A few big tiles to quick show weather while I click into folder to open my Adobe apps, Spotify, and everything up. It is much more versatile and...
  4. Please bring back full screen start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please bring back full screen start menu: Please bring it back . I have fully adapted to it. I could browse all my apps with a clean wallpaper with no desktop icon. A few big tiles to quick show weather while I click into folder to open my Adobe apps, Spotify, and everything up. It is much more versatile and...
  5. can't bring back Start Screen but only start menu in default

can't bring back Start Screen but only start menu in default: hi everyone. newly installed windows 10 system, only shows classic Start Menu in default, and with a Start Screen button at the top left as shown in picture. when I click the button, it goes to start screen, the one with tiles. but next when press Win key or click windows...
  6. Start menu won't open

Start menu won't open: I tried everything including: sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and some more but, sfc gives me an error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. and DISM gives me...
  7. Start Up Screen Distorted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Start Up Screen Distorted: Probably not a W10 problem but I am hoping someone might be able to help. PC: Dell Inspiron One OS: W10 Latest updates including optional Hard Start results in a distorted display Stretched Soft Re-Start all's well. Three problems reported by Computer Management giving...
  8. Start Menu won't close

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu won't close: It's been a week since I bought this computer, and the start menu won't close. I have all the latest updates, ran the start menu troubleshooter, sfc scan, nothing works. This is my first Windows laptop and I'm very disappointed, to be honest. I've spent all week downloading...
  9. Start Menu won't launch

Start Menu won't launch: I've recently installed a fresh version of windows (was having PC issues) and all went well, apart from the fact I can no longer launch the start menu, which renders my PC essentially useless. I'd really appreciate some help here fixing the issue, as it is pretty vital. I've...
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu Won't Turn Off

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows 10 Start Menu Won't Turn Off: Hi! I have quick question. For the past two or three days the full screen start menu on my laptop hasn't been able to be turned off. I went to the settings and turned it off, but it still won't turn off. I took off all of my shortcuts so I thought that may have been the...