Windows 10: Screensaver and Sleep Mode not Working with Game Controllers Connected - SOLVED!

Discus and support Screensaver and Sleep Mode not Working with Game Controllers Connected - SOLVED! in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello dear community, I had a problem which I could now solve and I wanted to tell you how I could solve it. Unfortunately the original threadt was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MatthiasWeiner, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Screensaver and Sleep Mode not Working with Game Controllers Connected - SOLVED!

Hello dear community,
    I had a problem which I could now solve and I wanted to tell you how I could solve it. Unfortunately the original threadt was already closed: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/screensaver-and-sleep-mode-not-working-with-game/32299fb3-55ab-45b5-9813-48a9bfeda6cf

The problem was and is the following. Some game controllers prevent Windows 10 1803, 1903, and later from activating the screen saver, putting the screen into energy-saving mode, or putting the PC into energy-saving mode or standby. In my case this happens with the Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Thrustmaster Warthog Throttles. The T.Flight Rudder Pedals and the MFD Cougar do not cause this problem. Thrustmaster offers drivers from 2018, but they don't work under the mentioned Windows versions anymore. Windows installs here own old drivers from 2006.

One thing in advance - even after a long search, I did not find a solution that Windows goes into standby without help of the user despite the devices. But I have found an elegant way not to disconnect the devices from the USB every time!

You need the Devcon.exe from the Windows Driver Kit WDK: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/devcon?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Here you can download the appropriate installers: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows-hardware/drivers/download-the-wdk -> a little further down at Enterprise WDK EWDK for Windows 10, version 1903.

Installs the program. Then copy the file devcon.exe from the installation directory. Ideally from the corresponding x64 folder or even x86 folder.

Uninstalls the program again. You only need this devcon.exe. Now copy it into C:\Windows\System32\

The easy part I use
    Opens the Windows Editor. Copies the following lines into it.

@echo off
    echo turn off joysticks
    devcon disable *Game*
    pause

Save the file to a location of your choice and name it for example TurnOffJoysticks.bat if you don't see any file extensions, you might have to activate them in Windows Explorer first

Execute this batch file with admin rights right mouse -> Run as admin

Now all your gamepads and joysticks will be disabled. Easy. To activate it just create a second batch file with the following code:

@echo off
    echo turn on joysticks
    devcon enable *Game*
    pause

If you have problems with other devices or just want to turn off the affected devices, here comes the more complicated part.

First you need the device ID of the affected devices. Go to the device manager. In the Input Devices section. Now disconnect all USB joysticks and gamepads. You should not see any game controller anymore. Plug them in one by one and look in the properties in the tab Details in the dropdown under Device Instance Path Should be the second entry. In my case it says: HID\VID_044F&PID_0404\8&152C6B77&0&0000
    You can now write off the value or start a Windows console.

Windows key -> type cmd -> press enter -> type devcon find all * and press enter with ctrl + f you can now search for a part of this ID and then simply copy it. Please note that the device is virtually 2x. Once as game controller and once as input device. Please take the first one.

Change your batch to switch off as follows.
    @echo off
    echo turn off joysticks
    devcon disable "HID\VID_044F&PID_0404\8&152C6B77&0&0000"
    devcon disable "HID\VID_044F&PID_0402\8&3A444A30&0&0000"
    pause

or to switch on

@echo off
    echo turn off joysticks
    devcon enable "HID\VID_044F&PID_0404\8&152C6B77&0&0000"
    devcon enable "HID\VID_044F&PID_0402\8&3A444A30&0&0000"
    pause

You can of course edit the batch as you need. The same way you can write a batch which activates the devices first and then starts the game or just start the batch with the Windows task scheduler when you start a corresponding program/game.

Otherwise just run the batch as admin and your PC will save power even if the devices are disabled.

I hope I could help you - have fun playing!

:)

MatthiasWeiner, Apr 23, 2020
  2. Neil_V Win User

Screensaver and Sleep Mode not Working with Game Controllers Connected

I did not have this problem before upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7.

I have Saitek Rudder Pedals, a CH Fighterstick and CH Throttle connected to my computer, with any or all these devices connected the screen saver does not start and the computer never goes into sleep mode. When all the controllers are disconnected from
    the computer the screen save works and the computer goes into sleep mode.

As a work around for this problem I have connected the game controllers to the computer through a USB hub and disconnect the hub when I do not need the game controllers. While this solution is acceptable in the short term I feel a 'fix' is required that
    will allow my computer to operate normally with the game controllers connected.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil_V, Apr 23, 2020
  3. Neil_V Win User

Method 1

I don't have an option to "Improve power usage". I clicked power and the power trouble shooter started, it indicated that I had screen saver enabled and it thought it was a problem, I am a bit
    confused by this. I also ran the trouble shooter with the game controllers connected - same result.

Method 2

"powercfg –restoredefaultschemes" is not a valid command so I couldn't complete this step. I used powercfg /list, I have Balanced, High Performance and Power Saver, it is set to Balanced.

Method 3

Made a new power plan. As before power plan works when joysticks are disconnected
    does not work when joysticks are connected.

Method 4

I'll work on this but but am mystified as to how video drivers are effecting how my joysticks prevent my computer from going to sleep. When my joysticks are disconnected the same video drivers allow my computer to go to sleep.

You wrote this "This issue might also occur due to outdated display driver
    or some other devices are responsible to keep it awake." Just a thought maybe the other devices are the joysticks and this is where I need help.

Edit:

Just installed the latest nvidia video drivers (355.60) - no change system will go to sleep when joysticks are disconnected
    will not sleep with joysticks connected.

Neil_V, Apr 23, 2020
  4. Desuetude Win User

Screensaver and Sleep Mode not Working with Game Controllers Connected - SOLVED!

This is also an issue on my computer, it will not activate the screen saver, turn off the monitor, or sleep if either my Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS or Crosswind MFG pedals are connected. Works fine if both are disconnected.

From what I've read on different forums this seems to be a problem with every game controller in Windows 10 so it isn't a problem with anything the MS Support Engineer suggested, but a problem with Windows 10 itself. I had no similar problems with Windows

Desuetude, Apr 23, 2020
Thema:

Screensaver and Sleep Mode not Working with Game Controllers Connected - SOLVED!

1. Screensaver and Sleep Mode not Working with Game Controllers Connected - SOLVED! - Similar Threads - Screensaver Sleep Mode

2. My screensaver and sleep not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My screensaver and sleep not working: Before you share a response with basic troubleshooting steps , I’ve tried them all. Here’s what I was able to narrow it down to. when I’m on the desktop with no windows or apps open, just showing wallpaper no slideshow screen saver/sleep will not work. However if I open a...
  3. My screensaver and sleep not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My screensaver and sleep not working: Before you share a response with basic troubleshooting steps , I’ve tried them all. Here’s what I was able to narrow it down to. when I’m on the desktop with no windows or apps open, just showing wallpaper no slideshow screen saver/sleep will not work. However if I open a...
  4. Screensaver/monitor sleep not working? Try this!

Screensaver/monitor sleep not working? Try this!: For days I've been reading posts about why my screensaver wasn't activating. After trying numerous potential fixes that didn't work, I finally found the issue on my system. I ran the following command as admin in Powershell...powercfg -requestsUnder the DISPLAY section was...
  5. Screensaver/monitor sleep not working? Try this!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screensaver/monitor sleep not working? Try this!: For days I've been reading posts about why my screensaver wasn't activating. After trying numerous potential fixes that didn't work, I finally found the issue on my system. I ran the following command as admin in Powershell...powercfg -requestsUnder the DISPLAY section was...
  6. Sleep Mode Problem Solved

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep Mode Problem Solved: I've had problems on my desktop for some time and I want to thank everyone who tried to help.The problem was that my computer wouldn't come out of sleep mode if I was away for ten minutes or more and I had to shut it down to get it back. Someone on these forums suggested...
  7. Sleep Mode Problem Solved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep Mode Problem Solved: I've had problems on my desktop for some time and I want to thank everyone who tried to help.The problem was that my computer wouldn't come out of sleep mode if I was away for ten minutes or more and I had to shut it down to get it back. Someone on these forums suggested...
  8. Sleep Mode Problem Solved

9. Sleep and Screensaver won't working when connected to external display

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep and Screensaver won't working when connected to external display: Hi I use a surface pro 7 and when I connect it to an external display with Microsoft wireless display adapter, the sleep and screen savor functions won't work, and the pc and both monitors will be on 24/7. when I disconnect the display it works like a charm....
  10. sleep/screensaver work unreliably

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sleep/screensaver work unreliably: yea, i know all the powercfg stuff. nothing there, nothing even set to wake. the issue is that certain things make windows enter a state of "i don't care what settings you have". i can restart my PC and test my sleep/screensaver timeouts, they work. if you put the PC to...