Windows 10: Screensaver overrides fullscreen games

Discus and support Screensaver overrides fullscreen games in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My screensaver (a custom one) has a tendency to override some, but probably not all, fullscreen games if I don't use the keyboard or mouse for long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BlackOwl, Jun 27, 2016.

1. BlackOwl Win User

Screensaver overrides fullscreen games

My screensaver (a custom one) has a tendency to override some, but probably not all, fullscreen games if I don't use the keyboard or mouse for long enough, for example if I'm watching a cutscene or using some non-mouse, non-keyboard controllers (gamepads, smartphones etc.) Similarly, when I play Don Bradman Cricket '14 for an extended period of time on my gamepad, power saving kicks in and my screen turns off, despite the game running in the background. I thought that fullscreen programs overrode screensavers and power settings in this respect. This happened with Win7 as well, and I had no luck fixing the problem back then.

Is there a way to fix/workaround this issue? Of course, the obvious way is to disable the screensaver and extend the amount of time taken before power saving kicks in, but that's my last resort since I wish to do neither.

:)

BlackOwl, Jun 27, 2016
  2. MikeOlver Win User

windows 10 lockscreen

...or you could just get the tiny program called "Keep Display On"... it's a great app, and I use it all the time, so if I walk away from a game that is fullscreen, it doesn't kick to my lock screen. It will keep it on your desktop, and override all sleep,
    and screensaver functions until you close it. You could also setup a timer (scheduler) or some batch file to close it after a period of time, in effect creating your own lock timer. Hope that helps, and hope you figure out why it's not working, I would
    scrub the registry btw.

MikeOlver, Jun 27, 2016
  3. Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Hi there, I have some games here that I'm having a problem with. In Windows 8.1, 8, and 7 when you get the game to run in fullscreen with the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" unchecked and Fullscreen scaling in NVIDIA control panel, the game
    will stretch to fit the screen which is what I am looking for. Windows 10 keeps checking the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" even when I click on Apply then Ok. The game will run in a fullscreen with black bars on each side.

What I'm asking is, if there is some way for me to make sure that my games run in stretch to fit the screen and to make sure the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" is left unchecked? I've tried different compatibility modes with the same results,
    and as a NVIDIA user Fullscreen scaling is the only option besides aspect ratio and no scaling. Plus I've checked "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" with Perform scaling on: GPU.

Richard J. Martinez, Jun 27, 2016
Thema:

Screensaver overrides fullscreen games

1. Screensaver overrides fullscreen games - Similar Threads - Screensaver overrides fullscreen

2. Video games lagging on fullscreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video games lagging on fullscreen: My video games were running really smooth before. Now, the same games are running smoothly on windowed mode but as i enter into fullscreen, it starts to lag heavily Probably due to latest windows update, i don't know. Windows and graphics driver are updated already. Please...
  3. Fullscreen optimizations for gaming

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fullscreen optimizations for gaming: [ATTACH] Good day. So I've been curious about this fullscreen optimization feature and what it actually does. I've read somewhere else that it may even break things or cause apps to work worse. I've been trying to fix this issue where, I'm playing genshin impact in...
  4. Taskbar not showing in a fullscreen game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar not showing in a fullscreen game: Hi!I've been playing a lot of the game, "The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth", however, whenever I hit the windows key to go to the taskbar, which it should normally show the taskbar, for some reason, the taskbar is hidden? I can still use it, it's just invisible, if someone could...
  5. Games wont go fullscreen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Games wont go fullscreen: When i launch the game it instantly gets minimazed,cant open it ,in any single way. Started happening after the latest update. I did everything,reinstalled display drivers,updated drivers,reinstalled the games,and finally reinstalled the whole windows ,and still nothing...
  6. Games not working in fullscreen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Games not working in fullscreen: Hey,After updating to the latest Windows Build, games in Fullscreen wont start or crash if i decide to alt-tab. Before the latest update everything worked fine. What are your suggestions besides rolling back to the previous build?...
  7. games not launching in fullscreen

in Windows 10 Customization
    games not launching in fullscreen: one of the weirdest problems with windows im on windows 10 i have ever seen my, laptop will launch a game perfectly fine in fullscreen on my laptop display but on my 2nd monitor it will launch it with a border even though the in game menu is set to full screen my laptops...
  8. Language bar overriding game screen?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Language bar overriding game screen?: Ever since a few updates ago whenever I press alt+shift ingame, Windows' menu for language select overrides the game (even if on fullscreen). Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about: https://i.imgur.com/0b4KiuT.png Is there a way to disable this popup this altogether?...
  9. Fullscreen Issues On Games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fullscreen Issues On Games: Hello everybody, Yesterday I completed my first PC build. I installed Windows 10 Home on it and ran Windows Update until everything is up to date. I then downloaded and installed my latest graphics card drivers. After installing Steam and the Xbox Beta App, I downloaded...
  10. Screensaver not working except in games

in Windows 10 Support
    Screensaver not working except in games: I just installed a clean Windows 10 on the new machine a built. For some reason, none of the listed screensavers work EXCEPT when I'm in a game and idle. If I'm not in a game, no screensaver will ever start. I've tried playing with the power settings including cmd...