Windows 10: Screensaver overrides fullscreen games

Discus and support Screensaver overrides fullscreen games in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My screensaver (a custom one) has a tendency to override some, but probably not all, fullscreen games if I don't use the keyboard or mouse for long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BlackOwl, Jun 27, 2016.

1. BlackOwl Win User

Screensaver overrides fullscreen games

My screensaver (a custom one) has a tendency to override some, but probably not all, fullscreen games if I don't use the keyboard or mouse for long enough, for example if I'm watching a cutscene or using some non-mouse, non-keyboard controllers (gamepads, smartphones etc.) Similarly, when I play Don Bradman Cricket '14 for an extended period of time on my gamepad, power saving kicks in and my screen turns off, despite the game running in the background. I thought that fullscreen programs overrode screensavers and power settings in this respect. This happened with Win7 as well, and I had no luck fixing the problem back then.

Is there a way to fix/workaround this issue? Of course, the obvious way is to disable the screensaver and extend the amount of time taken before power saving kicks in, but that's my last resort since I wish to do neither.

:)

BlackOwl, Jun 27, 2016
  2. MikeOlver Win User

windows 10 lockscreen

...or you could just get the tiny program called "Keep Display On"... it's a great app, and I use it all the time, so if I walk away from a game that is fullscreen, it doesn't kick to my lock screen. It will keep it on your desktop, and override all sleep,
    and screensaver functions until you close it. You could also setup a timer (scheduler) or some batch file to close it after a period of time, in effect creating your own lock timer. Hope that helps, and hope you figure out why it's not working, I would
    scrub the registry btw.

MikeOlver, Jun 27, 2016
  3. Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Hi there, I have some games here that I'm having a problem with. In Windows 8.1, 8, and 7 when you get the game to run in fullscreen with the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" unchecked and Fullscreen scaling in NVIDIA control panel, the game
    will stretch to fit the screen which is what I am looking for. Windows 10 keeps checking the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" even when I click on Apply then Ok. The game will run in a fullscreen with black bars on each side.

What I'm asking is, if there is some way for me to make sure that my games run in stretch to fit the screen and to make sure the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" is left unchecked? I've tried different compatibility modes with the same results,
    and as a NVIDIA user Fullscreen scaling is the only option besides aspect ratio and no scaling. Plus I've checked "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" with Perform scaling on: GPU.

Richard J. Martinez, Jun 27, 2016
Thema:

Screensaver overrides fullscreen games

1. Screensaver overrides fullscreen games - Similar Threads - Screensaver overrides fullscreen

2. display scaling for old fullscreen game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    display scaling for old fullscreen game: Hello! For my grandchilds I scale the desktop for showing huge icons. Unfortunately the game dinosaur world from BBC uses this scale adjustment. So only the half area is to see full screen. If I scale the desktop as normal the game displays all. Is it possible to adjust...
  3. display scaling for old fullscreen game

in Windows 10 Support
    display scaling for old fullscreen game: Hello! For my grandchilds I scale the desktop for showing huge icons. Unfortunately the game dinosaur world from BBC uses this scale adjustment. So only the half area is to see full screen. If I scale the desktop as normal the game displays all. Is it possible to adjust...
  4. Opera override

in Browsers and Email
    Opera override: What is this opera crap? Every time I try to get to Amazon, it shows up and overrides everything else on my monitor. How do I get rid of it? 137111
  5. Deadzone in Fullscreen Games on Initial Run?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deadzone in Fullscreen Games on Initial Run?: Sorry if this is in the wrong place. First post and I'm not sure where everything is yet. I installed Windows 10 on my laptop recently after switching from linux. I ran windows 10 before and haven't had this issue. I have an issue whenever I open any games in full screen...
  6. Deadzone in Fullscreen Games on Initial Run?

in Windows 10 Support
    Deadzone in Fullscreen Games on Initial Run?: Sorry if this is in the wrong place. First post and I'm not sure where everything is yet. I installed Windows 10 on my laptop recently after switching from linux. I ran windows 10 before and haven't had this issue. I have an issue whenever I open any games in full screen...
  7. Video in game is choppy in fullscreen mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Video in game is choppy in fullscreen mode: so lately i got a problem with the games most likely with the thirt person ones,when i enter fullscreen from alt+tab the game becomes choppy(i have good fps so its not a lag problem) when i move my character and mouse.I even reinstalled windows(10 Pro) and its still the same...
  8. Notifications while fullscreen playing a game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notifications while fullscreen playing a game.: Chrome recently changed their notification settings to windows action center. I now get notifications while fullscreen playing a game. Is there a way to change that where I still get notifications but doesn't interfere while I'm playing a game?...
  9. Blackscreen fullscreen bug on certain games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blackscreen fullscreen bug on certain games: Hi, just wondering if anyone had or have the same issue playing assassin's creed origin or any other Ubisoft games, here is the problem blackscreen game/intro/hard reset (no audio) ... blackscreen minimized/closed/(audio) hard reset only happens in fullscreen so i brought...
  10. Screensaver not working except in games

in Windows 10 Support
    Screensaver not working except in games: I just installed a clean Windows 10 on the new machine a built. For some reason, none of the listed screensavers work EXCEPT when I'm in a game and idle. If I'm not in a game, no screensaver will ever start. I've tried playing with the power settings including cmd...