Windows 10: Screensaver shortcut

Discus and support Screensaver shortcut in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Could you show me a simple way to create a shortcut for screensaver so i don`t have to search for it? Windows updates mess with the computer, change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by terrace, Jan 25, 2018.

1. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

Could you show me a simple way to create a shortcut for screensaver so i don`t have to search for it? Windows updates mess with the computer, change things hard to find.*Smile

:)

terrace, Jan 25, 2018
  2. Tech Bear Win User

Win 10 no screen saver

To get a handle on the screensaver panel in Win 10 try creating a shortcut like this:

Right click a blank area on the screen and select NEW, then select SHORTCUT.

When the shortcut location box opens copy and past the link below into it,
    ignoring the chevrons.

An icon should now appear on the screen which will give you access to screensaver setup controls.

<control desk.cpl,,@screensaver>

Tech Bear, Jan 25, 2018
  3. wmcole Win User
    windows 10 screen saver shortcut

That is correct for the latest version of Windows 10 (1709 bld 16299.248). However, if you create a shortcut then place:

"C:\Windows\System32\control.exe desk.cpl,screensaver,@screensaver"

(without the quotes) in the "Target:" control on the "Shortcut" tab of the shortcut's "Properties" pane, it will work as you want it to.

wmcole, Jan 25, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

Screensaver shortcut

5. terrace Win User
    terrace, Jan 25, 2018
  6. Polo6RGTI Win User
    @terrace

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ;Add Screen Saver entry to right click context menu. [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\Shell\Screen Saver Settings] "icon"="desk.cpl" "Position"=- [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\Shell\Screen Saver Settings\command] @="control desk.cpl,,1"[/quote]

Polo6RGTI, Jan 25, 2018
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Screen Save has an extension of .scr and normally installed in Program Files or Program Files (X86) so look for file with that extension. Once found, right click on it and hold the drag to where ever you want to create short cut, release the mouse->Create shortcut:

Screensaver shortcut [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jan 26, 2018
  8. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

Thank You, it looks simple enough but i can`t find it in program files and x86

terrace, Jan 26, 2018
  9. Try looking in:
    C:\Windows\System32\

Also you could use the File Explorer Search box.
    Search for:
    *.scr

lehnerus2000, Jan 26, 2018
  10. terrace Win User
    I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.*Smile

terrace, Jan 26, 2018
  11. Edwin New Member
    Click on Start, type photoscreensaver.scr, right click on result, go to Send to►Desktop (create shortcut)

Edwin, Jan 26, 2018
  12. terrace Win User
    Thanks i did that but it just opens screensaver to run. I need to be able to go to the settings in screensaver.

terrace, Jan 26, 2018
  13. Edwin New Member

Screensaver shortcut

Create a shortcut with this target:

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1

Edwin, Jan 26, 2018
  14. terrace Win User
    Thanks, but can`t get past "rundll32" it won`t open.

terrace, Jan 26, 2018
  15. Ztruker Win User
    Works for me.

Right click on the Desktop and select New then Shortcut.
    Copy and paste the the string Edwin gave you into Type the location of the item box: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1Click Next.
    Give it a name like Screen Saver then click Finish.

You should now have a Screen Saver shortcut on your Desktop. Double click on it will open Screen Saver settings.

Note: To test the string, open a Command Prompt then copy and paste the string ito it and press enter.

Ztruker, Jan 26, 2018
Thema:

Screensaver shortcut

1. Screensaver shortcut - Similar Threads - Screensaver shortcut

2. I only see my screensaver after not giving input on my keyboard or mouse for a while.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I only see my screensaver after not giving input on my keyboard or mouse for a while.: Hi, its really quite simple, after i dont touch my keyboard or mouse for a while my screen just only shows my wallpaper and hides all my apps and taskbar. i have tried to stop this from happening by using for example an autoclicker but with no success. I have tried watching...
  3. I only see my screensaver after not giving input on my keyboard or mouse for a while.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I only see my screensaver after not giving input on my keyboard or mouse for a while.: Hi, its really quite simple, after i dont touch my keyboard or mouse for a while my screen just only shows my wallpaper and hides all my apps and taskbar. i have tried to stop this from happening by using for example an autoclicker but with no success. I have tried watching...
  4. I have screensaver to work on everyday computer use, but how to enable it to activate while...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have screensaver to work on everyday computer use, but how to enable it to activate while...: I would like screensaver to kick in, even while something is streaming on YouTube, any help is appreciated, windows 11 2024 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-screensaver-to-work-on-everyday-computer/effac115-5e37-4d91-b00e-9082f643face
  5. I have screensaver to work on everyday computer use, but how to enable it to activate while...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have screensaver to work on everyday computer use, but how to enable it to activate while...: I would like screensaver to kick in, even while something is streaming on YouTube, any help is appreciated, windows 11 2024 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-screensaver-to-work-on-everyday-computer/effac115-5e37-4d91-b00e-9082f643face
  6. WIndows 10 getting locked automatically even after turning off the screensaver, display,...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WIndows 10 getting locked automatically even after turning off the screensaver, display,...: I am using a Windows 10 OS which is getting locked automatically after sometime I leave it without any activity. I have tried to change multiple settings on other popular recommendations including turning screensaver, display off and sleep settings to "never". Yet the issue...
  7. Taskbar screensaver shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar screensaver shortcut: How do you place a shortcut to a screen saver on the Windows 10 taskbar? I have tried dragging the screen saver file to the taskbar and also copy/paste. When I click on my shortcut, all that happens is a "frozen" black screen. Some more information that may or may not be...
  8. Can't add a shortcut key to run screensaver

Can't add a shortcut key to run screensaver: I want to assign a short cut key to PhotoScreensaver.scr. I have created a shortcut icon on Desktop. When I open Properties, it shows "Shortcut key: None" but it doesn't allow me to change it. When I click Advanced, "Run as administrator" is grayed out. I log on as...
  9. Over half of the shortcuts on my desktop are gone, screensaver was changed back to original...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Over half of the shortcuts on my desktop are gone, screensaver was changed back to original...: I’ve just started my computer so there may be other issues that I haven’t seen yet. So far it’s just minor inconveniences but this has never happened before so I’m not sure if this is like a virus or something bad. Has anyone else had this happen? submitted by...
  10. how can I easily create a keybord shortcut in Windows 10 to make my screensaver start?

how can I easily create a keybord shortcut in Windows 10 to make my screensaver start?: I am trying to find a simple way to start screensaver in Windows 10 without having to navigate my way through techy heaven. Everything I have seen in forums points me to Windows 7 answers that do not match the System32 folders I am seeing in Windows 10. A simple keyboard...