Windows 10: Screwball sleep issue - moving chair wakes PC with no physical contac

Discus and support Screwball sleep issue - moving chair wakes PC with no physical contac in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is crazy so please read slowly... I am running win10 v1909 on my home PC which I built with an intel DX58SO motherboard when win7 first came out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xwray, Jan 8, 2020.

1. xwray Win User

Screwball sleep issue - moving chair wakes PC with no physical contac

This is crazy so please read slowly...

I am running win10 v1909 on my home PC which I built with an intel DX58SO motherboard when win7 first came out and up 'till now the only problems I have experienced were "routine", most of which I caused by my constant fiddling with the system most of which I figured out by myself with a few needing help from this forum. I would characterize the my system as extremely stable (as long as I don't fiddle too much) both the hardware and software and every night when I finished using it I would put it in the sleep mode which always worked perfectly as expected.

The PC and peripherals sit on a heavy office computer table which is in a carpeted room. When I get up off the chair I ease it back so I can get out of the way to push it back under table to keep the area clear when not in use.

A couple weeks ago when I put the PC to sleep and moved the chair to its normal resting place the PC would wake up, sometimes right away and sometimes a couple seconds later. Testing seemed to indicate if I moved slowly it wouldn't wake up as often leading me to think the chair was hitting/rubbing on something triggering the wakeup? I checked to see if that was the case but the chair was NOT hitting anything.

Once while trying to figure this out I moved the chair back, put the computer to sleep, and slowly pulled the chair off to the side to get some clearance to see what might be amiss under the table. The table is in an L shaped configuration and pulling the chair out and to the side caused it to pass right in front of the PC and the PC immediately woke up. Hmmmm. I did that several more times taking care not to touch anything and each time it woke up. Once it so happened that as I was pulling the chair back I managed to rotate the chair (it didn't hit anything) before it moved to the side and it woke up as soon as the chair rotated. Hmmmmm. To get to the bottom line I found that I could bang on the table - hard, shake the PC, move around it, and other nutty things to determine what was causing this bizarre behavior. Long story short, the computer would ONLY wake up if the chair was rotated or smartly moved (didn't have to be right in front of the PC).

Once I discovered this and thought about it, the only thing that could make ANY sense as why the chair seems to be causing
    the problem was that the chair is a Steelcase ergonomic chair and does in fact contain more steel in the chassis than a normal inexpensive office chair.

LONNNNNNNNNG shot: could that steel be somehow interfering with the WiFi RF field and introducing glitches as it moves?
    I don't believe in ghosts in the machine and besides, my PC connects to the network via Ethernet but i do have a wireless router hooked up for laptops and other devices. Plus, I did test by disconnecting the RJ45 cable which did not help anything.

Here's what I have done since I got to this point:

returned the PC to an old v1989 backup image (now back to v2009)
    removed USB connected devices including mouse
    turned wake enabled function off
    verified that the PC does not wake during the night when nobody is around to move anything
    replaced win10 system drive with linux system drive

None off these solved the problem so at the risk of looking like somebody who ought not be walking around free I came here.

I did run run powercfg -lastwake which coughed up ACPI\PNP0C0E\2&daba3ff&0 which was associated with ACPI Sleep Button.

I have no idea what an ACPI Sleep Button is. Anything else my registry search found was too far down in the innards of win10
    for me to grep.

Please, help me stay out of the home for the confused by loaning me a few clues...

I swear this is all as was stated and not embellished with extraneous crap.

It just don't make no sense!

:)

xwray, Jan 8, 2020
  2. xwray Win User

I misstated something in my initial post where I replaced the win10 system drive with my linux (Mint) drive - this item was included in the list and it makes it look like the linux system had the same problem when in fact it did NOT have the same problem. With linux running and put into sleep mode, moving the chair all around did not affect the PC...it slept all through my chair gyrations so it looks like this is an interaction between win10, my hardware, and moving chairs?

Too many moving parts....

xwray, Jan 8, 2020
  3. xwray Win User

This is crazy so please read slowly...

I am running win10 v1909 on my home PC which I built with an intel DX58SO motherboard when win7 first came out and up 'till now the only problems I have experienced were "routine", most of which I caused by my constant fiddling with the system most of which I figured out by myself with a few needing help from this forum. I would characterize the my system as extremely stable (as long as I don't fiddle too much) both the hardware and software and every night when I finished using it I would put it in the sleep mode which always worked perfectly as expected.

The PC and peripherals sit on a heavy office computer table which is in a carpeted room. When I get up off the chair I ease it back so I can get out of the way to push it back under table to keep the area clear when not in use.

A couple weeks ago when I put the PC to sleep and moved the chair to its normal resting place the PC would wake up, sometimes right away and sometimes a couple seconds later. Testing seemed to indicate if I moved slowly it wouldn't wake up as often leading me to think the chair was hitting/rubbing on something triggering the wakeup? I checked to see if that was the case but the chair was NOT hitting anything.

Once while trying to figure this out I moved the chair back, put the computer to sleep, and slowly pulled the chair off to the side to get some clearance to see what might be amiss under the table. The table is in an L shaped configuration and pulling the chair out and to the side caused it to pass right in front of the PC and the PC immediately woke up. Hmmmm. I did that several more times taking care not to touch anything and each time it woke up. Once it so happened that as I was pulling the chair back I managed to rotate the chair (it didn't hit anything) before it moved to the side and it woke up as soon as the chair rotated. Hmmmmm. To get to the bottom line I found that I could bang on the table - hard, shake the PC, move around it, and other nutty things to determine what was causing this bizarre behavior. Long story short, the computer would ONLY wake up if the chair was rotated or smartly moved (didn't have to be right in front of the PC).

Once I discovered this and thought about it, the only thing that could make ANY sense as why the chair seems to be causing
    the problem was that the chair is a Steelcase ergonomic chair and does in fact contain more steel in the chassis than a normal inexpensive office chair.

LONNNNNNNNNG shot: could that steel be somehow interfering with the WiFi RF field and introducing glitches as it moves?
    I don't believe in ghosts in the machine and besides, my PC connects to the network via Ethernet but i do have a wireless router hooked up for laptops and other devices. Plus, I did test by disconnecting the RJ45 cable which did not help anything.

Here's what I have done since I got to this point:

returned the PC to an old v1989 backup image (now back to v2009)
    removed USB connected devices including mouse
    turned wake enabled function off
    verified that the PC does not wake during the night when nobody is around to move anything
    replaced win10 system drive with linux system drive

None off these solved the problem so at the risk of looking like somebody who ought not be walking around free I came here.

I did run run powercfg -lastwake which coughed up ACPI\PNP0C0E\2&daba3ff&0 which was associated with ACPI Sleep Button.

I have no idea what an ACPI Sleep Button is. Anything else my registry search found was too far down in the innards of win10
    for me to grep.

Please, help me stay out of the home for the confused by loaning me a few clues...

I swear this is all as was stated and not embellished with extraneous crap.

It just don't make no sense!

xwray, Jan 8, 2020
  4. sygnus21 Win User

Why not just move to router to see what happens. If the issue is as you say, it should be a simple troubleshooting procedure or moving the router, putting the PC to sleep, and moving the chair. Simple.

sygnus21, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Screwball sleep issue - moving chair wakes PC with no physical contac - Similar Threads - Screwball sleep issue

2. Pc waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc waking from sleep: So, I have this problem where my pc immediately wakes itself up from sleep. I have done everything like powercfg, power management to disable wake up but nothing works. Powercfg lastwake shows type: fixed feature and source: power button. But, I'm sure it's not happening...
  3. Wake from Sleep issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake from Sleep issues: I've tried everything I can find, but my Windows 10 desktop won't fully wake from sleep. I can move the mouse and the computer starts to wake (lights, hard drive), but the keyboard won't activate (no lights) and the monitor doesn't wake. I have a web camera with Windows Hello...
  4. wake from sleep issue?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    wake from sleep issue?: I have a brand new Artesian NZXT H1 pc (SFF PCs — Artesian) with a Asus Rog Strix B550-I motherboard and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. When my pc "sleeps"......I have to move the mouse/type on keyboard or hit the power button......AND THEN HIT THE POWER BUTTON A SECOND TIME, to get...
  5. Wake from sleep issue

Wake from sleep issue: After the system goes to sleep once I awake it it hangs at the Windows screen (where time is shown left corner). After a bit I'm greeted with BSOD stating... DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION This is a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.535. When I hit the power button...
  6. Wake from sleep issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wake from sleep issue: After the system goes to sleep once I awake it it hangs at the Windows screen (where time is shown left corner). After a bit I'm greeted with BSOD stating... DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION This is a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.535. When I hit the power button (after...
  7. Wake from sleep issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wake from sleep issue: After the system goes to sleep once I awake it it hangs at the Windows screen (where time is shown left corner). After a bit I'm greeted with BSOD stating... DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION This is a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.535. When I hit the power button (after...
  8. Game chairs

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Game chairs: Do you think these models are suitable for gaming. chairs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/game-chairs/678e4dc7-093f-4e23-8e95-936dc888e301"
  9. Windows move to 3rd monitor after PC wakes from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows move to 3rd monitor after PC wakes from sleep: Hi, I've got 3 monitors connected to my PC. 2 are normal monitors and the 3rd is a TV that sits above my desk visible to the rest of the office. In my display setting they are set up as follows: [ATTACH] Displays 2 & 1 are the displays I use for work applications....
  10. Wake from sleep issue

Wake from sleep issue: New to tenforums. I work in the forestry field. We utilize Dell tablets running Windows 10 anniversary edition (10.0.14393 N/A Build 14393).These devices are used to collect data in the forest. We are collecting data for 6 to 8 hours at a time. The Dell tablets last this long...