Windows 10: Screwed up my hard drive (now clone)

Discus and support Screwed up my hard drive (now clone) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I screwed up my desktop hard drive by marking the primary partition as active. So, I popped it out of the case and mounted my clone in its place. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dahermit, Mar 9, 2018.

1. dahermit Win User

Screwed up my hard drive (now clone)

I screwed up my desktop hard drive by marking the primary partition as active. So, I popped it out of the case and mounted my clone in its place. I stuck the drive in my USB docking station so I could work on it and use it to host a clone after I figure out how to fix it.

Here is a screenshot of my desktop hard drive and the clone. Notice incorrect status on Drive 1's System Reserve and eMachine's Status.

Screwed up my hard drive (now clone) [​IMG]

At this point, my plan is to wipe the drive and clone my working desktop drive to it, but I am not sure it would work. I need some input as to how to remedy the situation if wiping the drive and running cloning software to put everything back where it was is not the way to go.

:)

dahermit, Mar 9, 2018
  2. Jack_246 Win User

Windows 10 won't boot "Repairing disk errors this might take more than an hour to complete"

Could I still clone my drive anyways? because I just to have my drive cloned in case chkdsk screws something up I can have an exact snap shot of drive that I can revert back to. Do you think that I could reapair all of the errors on my hard drive? Do you
    think they are physical errors that can be reapired or just soft, operating system errors that be repaired?

Jack_246, Mar 9, 2018
  3. Input/Output Error 0xc00000e9

I went to HP Support. They suggested, that my hard drive could be failing. I went to my computer geek and he confirmed my hard drive was failing. HP suggested that I try clone my old hard drive to a new hard drive (assuming it was failing) before it got
    so bad that it could not be cloned. It could not be cloned. I was able to save all my documents and pictures from the old hard drive. I have a new hard drive now which is up and running in Windows 10 with all my same programs and documents and pictures.

boballen1948, Mar 9, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

Which primary partition did you mark as active? Normally all partitions are primary unless you have more than 4 per disk (which you don't) on a BIOS based PC.

On legacy BIOS (which you are running) the system reserved partition is generally marked active unless you don't have one in which case the C: volume will be marked active. What active means is that your BIOS (which loads before Windows) will try booting it.

No, I don't see it. Look at this - this is a machine called Win-A running (no system reserved):

This is it shut down and the disk connected to another running instance of Windows.

Notice the difference? When it is running it is flagged System, Boot, Page-File, Crash Dump. When it is not running it doesn't. This is the difference you are seeing I think between your running and cloned disks.

Incidentally, you can set/unset a partition as active like this (just pick the right drive/partition or it will not boot): Code: PS C:\Windows\system32> diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.16299.15 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. On computer: X201 DISKPART> select disk 2 Disk 2 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> select partition 1 Partition 1 is now the selected partition. DISKPART> detail partition Partition 1 Type : 07 Hidden: No Active: Yes Offset in Bytes: 1048576 Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- * Volume 5 F Win-A NTFS Partition 31 GB Healthy DISKPART> inactive DiskPart marked the current partition as inactive. DISKPART> detail partition Partition 1 Type : 07 Hidden: No Active: No Offset in Bytes: 1048576 Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- * Volume 5 F Win-A NTFS Partition 31 GB Healthy DISKPART> active DiskPart marked the current partition as active. DISKPART> detail partition Partition 1 Type : 07 Hidden: No Active: Yes Offset in Bytes: 1048576 Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- * Volume 5 F Win-A NTFS Partition 31 GB Healthy DISKPART> exit Leaving DiskPart... PS C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] I'm assuming that Disk 0 is your clone (that you are booting from now) and Disk 1 is you original drive right?

If this is the case it looks OK and I think if you swapped the disks they would still work.

lx07, Mar 9, 2018
  5. dahermit Win User
    I did the procedure to change my partition from "inactive" to "active". I rebooted and let the USB Clone attempt to boot the computer. It failed with the message "Bootmgr is missing". I then ran a fresh clone to the faulty drive. It worked. It booted up and ran, so that problem is solved. I thank you for assisting me.

dahermit, Mar 9, 2018
  6. jumanji Win User
    And yes, when you clone the drive just check you can boot from the clone. If you are able to boot from the clone, just take the clone away and store it safely. Do not meddle with it and make any changes.

jumanji, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Screwed up my hard drive (now clone) - Similar Threads - Screwed hard drive

2. New Cloned Hard Drive - Windows 11 Now Not Activated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Cloned Hard Drive - Windows 11 Now Not Activated: I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex 3040 PC from NewEgg that came preinstalled with Windows 11 Pro version 21H2. After reading several reviews about possible SSD failure with the King SSD 360gb, I cloned it to a brand new Crucial SSD 480gb. The OS clone works but...
  3. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  4. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  5. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. cloned hard drive wont boot up

in Windows 10 Support
    cloned hard drive wont boot up: Hi all Can anyone help cloned a hard drive to a bigger drive but no matter what i try i cannot boot up i have a hp compaq elite 8300 183823
  7. Cloning Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning Hard Drive: I use an ssd for booting windows and I had a bad 1TB hard drive which I'm now cloning to a better 2TB hard drive using Macrium Reflect. The cloning is almost done (90%) but I have a few questions. How does it work with the download/picture/documents folder in File...
  8. Screwed up my D drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Screwed up my D drive: Hi all.. Soooo.. i've seen some solutions but not really have been able to resolve this yet.. My D drive has my main file "D:\Manage under "This PC" even though it's properties identifies it as D:\ and is a system folder so i can't move or delete it. There's a clone under...
  9. Hard drive clone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hard drive clone: Hey: Can I create a cloned drive by cloning to a hd on my PC from my laptop drive & then from the PC to SSD? I only have 1 cable & my laptop will not boot. Both machines have win10 upgrades - 1 from win7 pro -PC & 1 from win 8 home - laptop....
  10. Hard Drive Screws

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Screws: Looking for hard drive screws for an Acer TC-220 PC the hard drives get fix on the underside of the HHD, not the sides. There's small rubber grommets thats in the case screw hole that the screws go through plus the screw has a small un-threaded shank on them. Does...