Windows 10: Scripting, either PS or cmd, to change Windows Update Advanced options

Discus and support Scripting, either PS or cmd, to change Windows Update Advanced options in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, Decided it was time to join, and reach out for help. I work for a Hardware Retailer and we just upgraded to windows 10 computers for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jonathanbilski, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Scripting, either PS or cmd, to change Windows Update Advanced options

Hello Everyone,
    Decided it was time to join, and reach out for help. I work for a Hardware Retailer and we just upgraded to windows 10 computers for our POS registers, Dell optiplex 9010 w/i5 and 8gb ram. I have no formal training and have learned along the way. When I updated from Build 1803 to 1809, our payment devices exhibited issues and would not communicate. The temp solution was to revert back to 1803 until the bugs were worked out of 1809. Then remote into each register computer and go to updates/advanced options/switch to Not targeted/delay for 365 and delay for 30days. This was painstaking logging into 355 machines to do. Now, I want to switch those settings to allow the next feature update, 1809, then switch back to prevent after 1809 is installed so I can test any future feature updates before going to all 355 registers. I started looking and found some powershell info. Downloaded the "PSwindowsupdate zip file" and installed as prescribed, but cannot find any pertinent scripting info to get into the updates advanced options settings to change via script. Can anyone lend a hand?

:)

jonathanbilski, Jul 29, 2019
  2. Govi59 Win User

Using these PS commands in CMD

Hi there,
    thank you for this wonderfull tuto Scripting, either PS or cmd, to change Windows Update Advanced options :)
    I have a specific demand, because I want to do things in my own way *chuckle

Opening PS without Restricted policy --> Done
    Typing Get-AppxPackage *name* | Remove-AppxPackage --> Done. And it works ! Scripting, either PS or cmd, to change Windows Update Advanced options :)
    Creating a uninstall-apps.ps1 script with many lines and executing it in PS with C:\Users\Govi\uninstall-apps.ps1 --> Done. And it works ! *Biggrin

Now, I would like to execute my uninstall-apps.ps1 script from cmd or from a .bat script (back to old black cmd windows <3)... But it doesn't work...
    I tried :
    powershell.exe C:\Users\Govi\uninstall-apps.ps1
    powershell.exe -noexit C:\Users\Govi\uninstall-apps.ps1
    powershell.exe -noexit "& 'C:\Users\Govi\uninstall-apps.ps1'"
    powershell.exe -noexit -file "C:\Users\Govi\uninstall-apps.ps1"

and many others...
    none of theese line work. *Sad
    With other commands in the .ps1 script, such as Write-Host Hello world!, it works... But not the command I want.

Eventually, is there a way to execute this batch PS script from cmd or a .bat script ? *sarc

Thank you very much !

EDIT : I continued trying and it worked from a .bat script ! I don't know why it doesn't work from the cmd directly, but the .bat script with powershell C:\Users\Govi\uninstall-apps.ps1 works perfectly.

Govi59, Jul 29, 2019
  3. jbailey8 Win User
    HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Jul 29, 2019
  4. Scripting, either PS or cmd, to change Windows Update Advanced options

Windows and CMD- renaming a file in CMD

Steps I've done

Here what happens

• turn on PC

• start windows

• get blue screen ( message NTFS file)

• it reboots returns to diagnosing PC

• Diagnose and repair fails

• I move to advance options

• will not reset windows , I click on CMD

things I've tried
    commands:

reagentc /disable

reagentc /enable

*************************FAILED
    not recognized

Please advise

RandallBrock, Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

Scripting, either PS or cmd, to change Windows Update Advanced options

1. Scripting, either PS or cmd, to change Windows Update Advanced options - Similar Threads - Scripting either cmd

2. Script for either a .bat file, or a CMD shell or Power Shell script, to automate running a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Script for either a .bat file, or a CMD shell or Power Shell script, to automate running a...: Windows 10Hello Is it possible to write a script for either a .bat file, or a CMD shell or Power Shell script, to automate running a single small .exe Snap2HTML.exe over and over again while stating the program parameters. I wish to use a small program called Snap2html...
  3. Script for either a .bat file, or a CMD shell or Power Shell script, to automate running a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Script for either a .bat file, or a CMD shell or Power Shell script, to automate running a...: Windows 10Hello Is it possible to write a script for either a .bat file, or a CMD shell or Power Shell script, to automate running a single small .exe Snap2HTML.exe over and over again while stating the program parameters. I wish to use a small program called Snap2html...
  4. Script for either a .bat file, or a CMD shell or Power Shell script, to automate running a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates: Under Driver updates I currently have 9 apparent updates but thyere is no apparent way to get any additional information regarding these updates to know if I even need to install the updates.How do I get any additional information?...
  6. Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates: Under Driver updates I currently have 9 apparent updates but thyere is no apparent way to get any additional information regarding these updates to know if I even need to install the updates.How do I get any additional information?...
  7. Pass command from a PS script to a new PS Window

in Windows 10 Support
    Pass command from a PS script to a new PS Window: Just looking for some advice on how to run a command in a new Powershell Window from within an existing Powershell script. Currently I have the following code that clears out any log files older than 21 days and then uses Robocopy to copy any new files from the Q:\ drive to...
  8. ATP verification PS script Error on CMD "Access Denied"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ATP verification PS script Error on CMD "Access Denied": Hello, I have to verify the newly ATP on board PC and running below script to verify but the error say access denied although I have run cmd with admin privilege's and created a folder also in C as article says but still I don't know why it says "access denied" can anyone...
  9. Windows update advanced options freezing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update advanced options freezing: I clicked on windows update advanced options and it freezes the settings. I tried searching it in the start menu of windows 10 and clicked "Windows Update Advanced Options" and it brings me to the windows update options and the same thing happens when i click advanced...
  10. Help with Windows Update Advanced Options

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with Windows Update Advanced Options: I attempt to turn on automatically download updates option, and the on button switches to off without me clicking anything. I have windows 10 1803 How do I fix this, so I can be ready for the future upgrades for the windows 10 versions that come up....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to change Advanced options in Windows update to on via cmd