Windows 10: "Scroll Inactive Window" does not respect Fullscreen application in multi-monitor config

Discus and support "Scroll Inactive Window" does not respect Fullscreen application in multi-monitor config in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; when "Scroll Inactive Window" settings > devices > mouse/touchpad > Scroll Inactive Window when I hover over them is active it performs inconstantly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by gardian06, May 20, 2020.

1. gardian06 Win User

"Scroll Inactive Window" does not respect Fullscreen application in multi-monitor config

when "Scroll Inactive Window" settings > devices > mouse/touchpad > Scroll Inactive Window when I hover over them is active it performs inconstantly with fullscreen applications, and the way the mouse performs otherwise with an application in Fullscreen display mode. the feature works fine otherwise, but this side effect makes it frustrating.

for productivity this feels functional, and fluid. this mostly impacts things like games, but it still does not feel intended, or consisted with what Fullscreen is supposed to entail, or what things are actually constrained.

expected: in fullscreen mode the mouse is supposed to be completely constrained to the given screen/monitor, and all interactions of the mouse are expected to only interact with the window the mouse is locked to. for the most part this is why borderless-fullscreen or fullscreen borderless windowed mode was implemented to have a program appear like fullscreen, but allow the mouse to behave like windowed mode.

issue: when running a fullscreen application like a game with "Scroll Inactive Window..." active, and using the mouse in the program, if the mouse would logically leave the fullscreen application "Scroll Inactive Window" will function even though any other button of the mouse will do nothing, and with the logical position of the mouse being invisible to the user. this occurs with most any fullscreen application, and impacts multi monitor configurations.

example: having a program running in fullscreen mode most prevalent in games, with a youtube video could be a text document/webpage, and have the mouse logically leave the fullscreen application if left monitor is non-primary then run mouse to the left then use scroll wheel. this is inconstant as clicks and secondary buttons do not function.

can this feature either respect fullscreen display mode, or maybe have a sub toggle for "use Fullscreen mouse lock"

:)

gardian06, May 20, 2020
  2. qubit Win User

Windows 10 KB3213986 Update Cripples Multi-monitor Gaming

This should be enough to get the conspiracy theorists suggesting that Microsoft is intentionally crippling multi-monitor support in fullscreen mode since games sold on the Microsoft Store all work in the pseudo-fullscreen mode...

Or it could just be an idiotic bug that will be fixed in time.

qubit, May 20, 2020
  3. scroll inactive window

Hi,

To address your concern with Scroll Inactive Window, we suggest that you update the driver of your mouse. Check this link
    for the steps.

Let us know how it goes.

MaRoselle Cag, May 20, 2020
  4. btarunr Win User

"Scroll Inactive Window" does not respect Fullscreen application in multi-monitor config

Windows 10 KB3213986 Update Cripples Multi-monitor Gaming

The recent Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3213986) cripples multi-monitor gaming, looking at the way Microsoft worded its "known issues" text. After the update is applied, users with multi-monitor setups could experience screen stuttering or clipped screens when running 3D apps on machines with more than one monitor. The only workaround Microsoft suggests for now entails running your 3D apps in non-fullscreen modes, such as windowed-maximized (pseudo-fullscreen) or windowed modes. Microsoft also goes as far as to suggest that people with multi-monitors could try starting their 3D apps with just one monitor connected.

"Users may experience delayed or clipped screens while running 3D rendering apps (such as games) on systems with more than one monitor," the change-log for the KB3213986 update reads. "To work around this issue please consider the following options: 1. Running the application in Windows mode (not full screen), or 2. Starting the application with only one monitor connected," it adds. The update effectively cripples multi-monitor gaming, using technologies such as AMD Eyefinity or NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround.

"Scroll Inactive Window" does not respect Fullscreen application in multi-monitor config 5781d75ceca3_thm.jpg

Source: Microsoft

btarunr, May 20, 2020
Thema:

1. "Scroll Inactive Window" does not respect Fullscreen application in multi-monitor config - Similar Threads - Scroll Inactive Window

2. Screenshot for applications in fullscreen does not work the same as in windowed mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screenshot for applications in fullscreen does not work the same as in windowed mode: DescriptionI am running a few video games such as Minecraft, osu! and Euro Truck Simulator 2, in fullscreen mode. When I take a screenshot with the "Print screen" or "Windows key + Shift + S" buttons on the keyboard, the screenshot output is the screen at the time when I...
  3. Screenshot for applications in fullscreen does not work the same as in windowed mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screenshot for applications in fullscreen does not work the same as in windowed mode: DescriptionI am running a few video games such as Minecraft, osu! and Euro Truck Simulator 2, in fullscreen mode. When I take a screenshot with the "Print screen" or "Windows key + Shift + S" buttons on the keyboard, the screenshot output is the screen at the time when I...
  4. scroll inactive windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    scroll inactive windows: This setting is making windows very difficult to use. Even when off in the settings it stays on and make it difficult to move through my open tabs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scroll-inactive-windows/a82d0105-ce2b-4e3f-acba-deba93a6499a
  5. Bug - Windows scroll inactive windows?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bug - Windows scroll inactive windows?: TLDR - scrolling inactive windows seems to work at the application level, not the window level, as it should. Bug? Or some other way to get proper behavior? ----- Hi, Been googling around a good bit, but unfortunately, can't seem to find an answer to my issue....
  6. Inactive windows scrolling on the touchpad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inactive windows scrolling on the touchpad: When my start screen isn’t open or a USB mouse isn’t plugged in, I cannot use the inactive windows scrolling on the touchpad. In the mouse setting I found that inactive windows option is on. I tried to update drivers with no avail. It is HPX360 laptop, a newly bought machine...
  7. Simultaneous Exclusive Fullscreen for two applications on two monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Simultaneous Exclusive Fullscreen for two applications on two monitors: Basically what I want to achieve is simple. I want to stream a football game via a browser, which has a full screen mode in the video, on my TV, which is my HDMI second monitor. At the same time, I want to run a game (Microsoft's Rise of Nations, for example) in full...
  8. Multi Monitor Application Changes

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Multi Monitor Application Changes: Im running 3 monitors. When windows goes to sleep and wakes all the open applications are moved between displays and resized. I've google'd and found some topics but, with no resolution. I'd like to be able to pin/stick an application to a display. One monitor is just a 7"...
  9. Scrolling inactive windows doesn't work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Scrolling inactive windows doesn't work: Hello! I have installed the Win 10 enterprise LTSB the trial version. So far, so good, with the exception of two details: - The scrolling of inactive windows isn't working properly. I mean, it works only when the "Settings" window is the active, then I can scroll the...
  10. Some applications not respecting master volume

in Windows 10 Support
    Some applications not respecting master volume: Most notably, web browsers. I have quite sensitive headphones, so I keep the system master volume at around 20%, and the youtube video volume at around 20% as well. This is all great, but when I close and restart the browser and start watching a youtube video again, the...