Windows 10: Scroll speed difference

Discus and support Scroll speed difference in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hope this is in the correct forum. On my laptop (i3, 12Gb, ssd) In MS Edge when srolling using the mouse the speed is fine. If I use the up/down... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by spottydog10, May 18, 2018.

1. Scroll speed difference

Hope this is in the correct forum.

On my laptop (i3, 12Gb, ssd) In MS Edge when srolling using the mouse the speed is fine.
    If I use the up/down arrows it's much slower.
    The hardware is Synaptecs Touchpad 7.5, HID keyboard device and i have the repeat speed set to short.
    It appears to be a bit quicker in IE,
    Any ideas folks?

:)

spottydog10, May 18, 2018
  2. Powwers16 Win User

Edge Browser and Scrolling Speed

I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop and have had trouble with slow 2 finger scrolling speed in the Edge browser. I've tried changing the scrolling speed in the control panel and in the system settings which changes the scrolling speed in other
    browsers like Chrome, but has no effect in Edge. What can I do to fix it?

Powwers16, May 19, 2018
  3. Why is scrolling speed/amount inconsistent across apps?

I've noticed that trackpad scrolling, including the speed and number of lines scrolled, varies wildly from app to app on Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4 (precision trackpad). It's different going from Microsoft Edge, to Google Chrome, to Windows File Explorer,
    to Adobe Lightroom.

It's also different scrolling using the trackpad vs. scrolling via touch on-screen. The rest of this discussion will talk about the precision touchpad.

Edge feels the best, with a very nice accelerated scroll that really 'rolls off' at the end.

Chrome is very literal: scroll exactly these many lines (dictated by your setting in Touchpad settings), and then stop when your fingers stop. Enabling the smooth accelerated scrolling in Google Labs makes it nicer, but it's still very different from Edge:
    with the acceleration seeming to last a much longer time than with Edge. And with this Labs setting off, it's still very different from Edge (being more 'literal' and less 'smoothed acceleration').

File Explorer is much worse than either internet browsers, being very 'literal' with really no feeling of acceleration and, instead, constant speed scrolling. But worse: it's like constant speed scrolling that continues after I've stopped moving my two fingers
    for the scroll. I feel like this is trying to simulate accelerated scrolling, with a 'roll off' at the end, but doing a really poor job of it.

Finally, Adobe Lightroom scrolling is terrible: no matter what my 'choose how many lines to scroll each time' setting, it only scrolls a tiny bit per two-finger movement.

In fact, Lightroom and Explorer both appear to ignore the 'choose how many lines to scroll' setting in Windows, whereas the browsers' behavior changes based on this setting.

In Photoshop, activating scrolling at all sends the picture literally off the screen so you can only see one corner of it, and you can't recover from this state until you zoom back out (usually using the keyboard). So you have to be very careful *not* to
    touch scroll at all. This is productivity killing.

Why this inconsistency across apps? Apple has nailed down consistent scrolling behavior across most/all apps, which is very important b/c our brains tend to learn an 'expected scrolling speed' when using a laptop, which allows us to kind of predict the speed
    of scrolling and compensate for the motion in our heads, allowing us to read/follow text as we scroll. This completely falls apart when using a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10, since the scrolling varies so much from app to app. I can tell my brain's 'expected
    scrolling speed' is working, if that makes any sense, but when the actual scrolling speed isn't matched, I suddenly sense a 'disconnect' and my eyes don't follow the scrolling to keep up with it.

Is there a way to set a 'global' scrolling speed/amount, and acceleration/smoothing, across all apps on Windows 10? Is this a Windows 10 thing or a Surface Pro 4 thing or a precision touchpad thing?

Thanks.

RishiSanyal, May 19, 2018
Thema:

Scroll speed difference

1. Scroll speed difference - Similar Threads - Scroll speed difference

2. Different upload speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different upload speed: Hi guys so I got problem with the windows I got ethernet and I have to get the highest speed I guess and I put all the pictures so what happened is for upload speed in pc I get 10 but in my phone I get around 40 to 50 so there is a problem with windows because the network...
  3. Different upload speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different upload speed: Hi guys so I got problem with the windows I got ethernet and I have to get the highest speed I guess and I put all the pictures so what happened is for upload speed in pc I get 10 but in my phone I get around 40 to 50 so there is a problem with windows because the network...
  4. Different upload speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Inconsistent trackpad scroll speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inconsistent trackpad scroll speed: Hello, I searched all over google to no avail. Trackpad scroll is inconsisten across apps. Some work fine, like firefox and settings menu, others like discord, steam, EGS, Spotify go from 0 to 100 in a milisecond.... it's super annoying, and it only happens in Windows (it...
  6. Inconsistent scrolling speeds/intervals

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inconsistent scrolling speeds/intervals: I recently started experiencing problems with scrolling on Windows 10. I don't know when this started, but when I scroll in a window for example Chrome, it scrolls smoothly and not to long intervals. However, if a stop scrolling for maybe 10 seconds, and then start...
  7. Touchpad two-finger scrolling speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad two-finger scrolling speed: Is there any way to decrease the speed of scrolling via two-finger drag? The scroll speed in the settings panel appears only to work with a traditional mouse. I would like the scroll to be about half as sensitive....
  8. Inconsistencies with scroll speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inconsistencies with scroll speed: I've been having an issue where my scroll speed would slow to practically useless levels. To fix it, I set the scroll speed in the settings to the maximum, which causes the scrolling to happen at a normal speed. Then, I close the settings window, which causes the speed to...
  9. Middle mouse scrolling maximum speed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Middle mouse scrolling maximum speed: I'm doing a lot of Excel work at the moment so need to be able to scroll efficiently vertically and horizontally. I find the speed of the middle mouse hold scrolling really frustrating, since it goes very slow then immediately jumps to insanely fast and I'm down at row 20000....
  10. Slow Scroll Speed in Web Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Slow Scroll Speed in Web Browser: I just noticed this today and it's bothering me a lot. Dell Inspiron Laptop, 13 inch. i7, 256 SSD, 8 GB of RAM, Whenever I scroll with my touch screen it scrolls extremely slow. It is slow whether I'm in tablet mode or not. I'm used to being on an android phone and...