Windows 10: Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows

Discus and support Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My windows 10 version is 1809. I developed a problem where I can't scroll. It just keeps going down but if I try to scroll up it will race back down... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Brucex64, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Brucex64 Win User

Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows

My windows 10 version is 1809.

I developed a problem where I can't scroll. It just keeps going down but if I try to scroll up it will race back down again. This happens with the USB mouse, as well as when using the arrow on the trackpad by clicking it near the top of the scroll area, and when I try to use the up arrow on the keyboard to go up in a list...it just goes back down.

I tried deleting and reinstalling drivers for the trackpad and mouse, also changed USB ports for the mouse. Also, I had upgraded to the November release of win10 but that did not help, so I rolled back to the 1809 version from May 2019. Sadly, I don't have any restore points saved prior to today. I have not installed any new apps recently. When I last used it a few months ago it worked normally.

I noticed that this scroll problem does not seem to happen on a Firefox browser. However, I opened Youtube and tried to grab the volume slider with the mouse to lower it and it would not, it just slid back to the right. I notice the problem mostly when I am working within Windows itself, like opening any menus like settings, control panel, etc. So I am pretty sure this is a windows problem. Its almost unusable...how can I fix it?

:)

Brucex64, Dec 5, 2019

2. Precision Trackpad Scrolling Broken Since Creators Update

This is a revival of
    this thread
    . It was locked for an unknown reason, despite the issue clearly still being relevant.

Ever since over a year ago when the initial Creators Update dropped, scrolling on precision trackpads has been a hot mess. The effects of the update include:

• Certain applications experience extreme stutter while scrolling with a precision trackpad(example). The graphics seem to only update when
      there is a decent break in between scroll events.
    • Applications such as Windows Explorer, Notepad, Notepad++, etc that would have normally scrolled line-by-line at a fast rate now scroll several lines at a time(depending on the value in Settings>Devices>Mouse) at a slow rate. This leads to much less precise
      scroll that you would expect from a precision trackpad. Windows Explorer has since been specifically fixed in the Fall Creators Update, but all other applications are left in the dust.

It's been said that the reason for these issues is due to precision trackpads now using mouse scroll events, in contrast to the previous method of directly manipulating scrollbars just as touchscreens do. While it does seem to make sense to use actual scroll
    events, the previous method of scrolling provided a vastly better experience.

This thread is meant to be both a question and a suggestion. The suggestion being to revert back to the old method of scrolling. The question being, is there any (even hacky) method to restore old precision trackpad scrolling functionality? It's been over
    a year now, and it's been thoroughly frustrating to not have any fix for this.

Brett Butcher, Dec 5, 2019
  3. gdgates Win User
    Separate profiles for mouse and trackpad possible?

Apparently after a recent update, I don't seem to be able to keep separate profiles for mouse and trackpad on my HP Spectre 360. Even though I'm a lefty, I've always scrolled the trackpad with my right hand and used my left on the button. This is opposite of how I use the mouse (right button being primary). I used to be able to switch the mouse and leave the trackpad in the normal orientation, but no longer. Switching the mouse buttons automatically switches the trackpad too. It's irritating to have to switch the buttons every time I plug into or unplug from my USBC hub/monitor. I've attached a pic that similar to the old mouse setting screen that seems to have gone away, as well as what I currently see. Any suggestions?

Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows [​IMG]

Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows [​IMG]

gdgates, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows

Mouse in USB and trackpad not working

Hi Jonathan,

Having a corrupted game file is one of the possible reasons why trackpad or mouse in USB freezes when playing Minecraft. For us to properly assist you, we need to collect more information. Kindly answer the questions below:

• Are you experiencing this issue with your other games?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the affected game?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for Windows apps. This can help remove conflicts with an app from Windows Store. To proceed, you may click the link below:

Click here

Wilfred Mac, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows

1. Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows - Similar Threads - Scrolling Does Mouse

2. Mouse and trackpad not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse and trackpad not working: I recently just fixed my laptop and I discovered that the mouse is no longer working. I went to device manager and I couldn't find the mice and other pointing device setting. I tried to fix the I2C stuff, disabled and enabled it and tried to update it but nothing is working....
  3. Mouse and trackpad not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse and trackpad not working: I recently just fixed my laptop and I discovered that the mouse is no longer working. I went to device manager and I couldn't find the mice and other pointing device setting. I tried to fix the I2C stuff, disabled and enabled it and tried to update it but nothing is working....
  4. Feature Request: Change Mouse & Trackpad Scroll Direction?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Feature Request: Change Mouse & Trackpad Scroll Direction?: Hello,As a Designer I work very often with both Windows and MacBooks devices and there's a big difference between the Mouse Scroll direction on the platforms. MacOS does offer an option to change the scroll direction from "Natural" to what windows use - which is un-natural,...
  5. Feature Request: Change Mouse & Trackpad Scroll Direction?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Feature Request: Change Mouse & Trackpad Scroll Direction?: Hello,As a Designer I work very often with both Windows and MacBooks devices and there's a big difference between the Mouse Scroll direction on the platforms. MacOS does offer an option to change the scroll direction from "Natural" to what windows use - which is un-natural,...
  6. Feature Request: Change Mouse & Trackpad Scroll Direction?

7. Two finger trackpad scrolling wont work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two finger trackpad scrolling wont work: Hello, I recently restarted my laptop to wipe it clean and start fresh I had to boot using a USB. The two finger scroll on the track pad is not working anymore though, why is this? Can anyone help? Thank you, Sam...
  8. Mouse scroll does not work

Mouse scroll does not work: Ever since the May 2020 windows update my scroll wheel on my mouse will not work anymore. I have tried everything imaginable - everything I could find for a fix on line. I have tried to update the driver but it's already on the current version, I have uninstalled the driver...
  9. Trackpad scrolling pattern

in Windows 10 Customization
    Trackpad scrolling pattern: Usually when I am scrolling with the trackpad, the window will keep scrolling for as long as I am moving my fingers. Then sometimes it will switch and it will only scroll a certain number of lines until I let go, at which point it will sort of free scroll for a second or...
  10. scroll arrows not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    scroll arrows not working: My scroll arrows do not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scroll-arrows-not-working/4678ac9a-baa0-4d16-93e8-34abbd7c06bb