Windows 10: SD Card asks if I want to format

Discus and support SD Card asks if I want to format in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was using my SD card in my HP Stream laptop for quite some time until a few days when I was suddenly asked whether I want to format the card. I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Satyapurna, Dec 8, 2018.

1. SD Card asks if I want to format

I was using my SD card in my HP Stream laptop for quite some time until a few days when I was suddenly asked whether I want to format the card. I don't want to format because I had all my files on it and don't want to loose them. Is there a way to recover the files from the card?

I updated the driver for the card reader, I checked out that the hard ware (the slot is working) which it is. The problem I have is that my laptop is constantly running out of space (that would be another question to ask) so I think that a ScanDisk rescue won't work. Any other ideas?

Thank you

:)

Satyapurna, Dec 8, 2018

2. Unable to format sd card

Hi,

There are many possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve your concern, we'd like to ask the following questions below:

• Are you using an SD card reader? If yes, have you tried using another card reader?
    • Have you tried formatting the SD card using another computer?
    In the meantime, we suggest running a hardware diagnostics while your SD card is connected to the computer and see if it helps. Follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search box, then select
      Troubleshooting
      from the search result.
    • Click Hardware and Sound.
    • Select Hardware and Devices to run a hardware diagnostics.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Martin Bar, Dec 8, 2018
  3. uzier Win User
    Windows asks to format USB Drive when SD card is inserted

I have SD card with Raspbian OS on it. When I insert the card using the card reader adapter, Windows asks me to format the E:\ drive, and it shows two different drives where it supposed to be just one (the boot with Raspbian OS on it). Recently it also shows the message: "Location is not available E:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." but the boot is on I:\ drive and this E:\ drive should not even exist.

- When I format E:\ drive it shows empty E:\ drive and full boot on I:\ drive. When I eject the boot drive, both drives disappear, however, the I:\ (boot) drive is no longer working properly. (does not boot the OS on raspberry pi)

- When I reinsert the SD card it does not show me any errors. When I then format the SD card (I:\) boot drive, the E:\ drive disappears and I'm left just with I:\ drive. (when I put fresh Raspbian on I:\ drive, the error to format E:\ shows up again)

- When I put some files onto the SD card it does not seem to show any other drives when I eject and reinsert.

It is only happening when I have an image located on the SD card.

I tried:

• Different USB ports
    • Different SD card readers / adapters
    • chkdsk /F /R /X I: (from the command line)
    • chkdsk /F /R /X E: (from the command line (is says that the file system is RAW))

uzier, Dec 8, 2018
  4. SD Card asks if I want to format

My 256gb sd card isn't being recognized as 256gb when formatting

Hi James,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

To assist you better, I would like to ask how you are trying to format the SD card.

I suggest you to format and check for if the issue persists in Disk Management by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Disk Management.
    • Right click on the drive for SD card and select Format.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

SD Card asks if I want to format

1. SD Card asks if I want to format - Similar Threads - Card asks format

2. Formating a micro SD card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating a micro SD card: Hi, Does anybody know how to format a micro SD card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formating-a-micro-sd-card/103f6f3f-4234-4391-918e-46dff548d7a2
  3. Error formating sd card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error formating sd card: Hello! So I have a corrupted 32gb sdhc card and I want to format it so I can use it again. But I can't format it. It says error completing format. The main error with command prompt and disk partition management is when I plug the card right in, the program stops responding...
  4. Formatting SD Card

Formatting SD Card: Hello, I have an SD Card of 64 GB storage space which my friend and I used as an external storage device. It has somehow become write protected. I cannot delete it's files. I've checked it's physical lock. How can I convert it to a normal SD Card or Format it completely...
  5. Formating a SD card

Formating a SD card: Hello, I am not a computer wizard.....can do some things but I cannot find out how to format a SD card - I have the adapter, with the SD card in, put into computer and laptop and nothing happens. Do I have to set up something - not sure what they are - the computer has only...
  6. Unsupported SD Card format

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unsupported SD Card format: Hi there!! I connected an SD Card and Windows tells me to format it if I want to use it. I need the data inside it, how can I do to transfer it's data anywhere else or to use it safely without formatting?? Thanks, hoping this has solution!!!! submitted by /u/Lukss_203...
  7. Format SD Card

Format SD Card: I cannot format an SD Card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-sd-card/8177d725-b12d-4d1c-a799-efcb3df3c53f
  8. Formatting a SD card with FAT32

Formatting a SD card with FAT32: I have a camera that requires a micro SD card with a USH-1 rating and U3 video level. The card I have is 128GB. The camera requires the card to be formatted with FAT32. When trying to format the card in Windows 10pro, the formatting options presented are NTFS and exFAT. I...
  9. Unable to Format SD Card

Unable to Format SD Card: Hello everyone, After scrounging the internet for the past two days and trying what I feel is almost everything I wanted to come here to ask for help. My micro SD card was acting up in my cell phone, so I decided to put it into my computer with its adapter, backup all my...
  10. SD card format problem

SD card format problem: I have a problem with formating my phones sd card. I've tried literaly everything (from formating it regularly or using cmd, to using third party apps), but it doesn't wan't to format. I really don't know what to do at this point hence the reason why I'm asking this question....