Windows 10: SD card not detected unless inserted before boot

Discus and support SD card not detected unless inserted before boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a common issue with my SD card where the card is not detected if I insert it while Windows is running. If I insert the card before booting up,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robo731, Jun 20, 2021.

1. robo731 Win User

SD card not detected unless inserted before boot

I have a common issue with my SD card where the card is not detected if I insert it while Windows is running. If I insert the card before booting up, then the card is recognized. The card works as expected with other operating systems. Version 20H2

:)

robo731, Jun 20, 2021

2. My Lumia 635 is not detecting SD card

Hi,

You may try the following steps:

• Try to remove the SD card and insert it again, make sure it's seated well without using too much force.
    • If it still does not recognize the SD card, you may try to connect your SD card to PC via a card reader and format.
    • Try using a different SD card and check if your Lumia 635 will recognize it.

Marcel Dio, Jun 20, 2021
  3. Boot from SD card Reader?

It likely depends on what the BIOS thinks the device is? If it shows up like a USB thumb drive it should work. If it requires drivers to even be detected it won't.
    I know I wish I could boot from the built in SD Card reader in my laptop but the BIOS does not even see it. It's not listed as a boot option even with a bootable SD card in it.

alphanumeric, Jun 20, 2021
  4. SD card not detected unless inserted before boot

SD card inserted into PC doesn't do anything

Hi,

We may need to do further investigation to identify the issue and its cause. Please provide us the following information:

• Have you tried inserting or connecting other SD cards?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to insert the SD card, or when trying to connect the camera? If so, please send us a screenshot.
    • Are you getting any error messages in Device Manager? Please send us a screenshot.

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices
    troubleshooter to scan your computer, identify the problem, and attempt to fix the issue automatically. You may refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R and type Control Panel.
    • Type troubleshooting in the search bar and click on
      Troubleshooting
    • Click on Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Jun 20, 2021
Thema:

SD card not detected unless inserted before boot

1. SD card not detected unless inserted before boot - Similar Threads - card detected unless

2. SD card not detected unless inserted before boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD card not detected unless inserted before boot: I have a common issue with my SD card where the card is not detected if I insert it while Windows is running. If I insert the card before booting up, then the card is recognized. The card works as expected with other operating systems. Version 20H2 181341
  3. Inserting a SD card point to an existing drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inserting a SD card point to an existing drive: Hi, My computer is configured like this: Drive C:\ --> SSD 250g with windows Drive G:\ --> HDD 1tb I have a built in SD card reader and when I insert a card in it, a new drive D: is created but it's displaying the same thing as the disk G:\. I've tried to visually...
  4. how to insert sd card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to insert sd card: how to insert sd card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-insert-sd-card/b093ae6e-7b9b-408e-82b6-d5dee16c5bee
  5. SD card detection.

SD card detection.: I have a micro SD card that my phone detects and can access but when I plug it into the PC with a USB/SD card reader the PC can't open it. It appears in My PC as a drive but with no space consumed bar on it. When I double click to open the PC hangs and sometimes loses it's...
  6. SD card detection.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SD card detection.: I have a micro SD card that my phone detects and can access but when I plug it into the PC with a USB/SD card reader the PC can't open it. It appears in My PC as a drive but with no space consumed bar on it. When I double click to open the PC hangs and sometimes loses it's...
  7. SD Card not detected

SD Card not detected: I have an older HP laptop (6730b) running Win 10. When I inserted an SD card right after startup it would show up in This PC and function normally. After finishing with the SD card, I would "Safely Remove Hardware" from the Notification Area and remove the card. I then...
  8. SD Card not detected

SD Card not detected: Hi i have a 64gb Sandisk micro SD card that has been working fine in my phone until yesterday when the phone suddenly said SD card not inserted. I then pu it onto my laptop card reader and usb adapter the SD card worked in neither the laptop didnt even recognise the card was...
  9. inserting micro sd card

inserting micro sd card: hi when I insert a micro sd card into the slot on my laptop it won't stay or click in place. it works if I hold it in place. can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inserting-micro-sd-card/110bd64b-13e0-414c-a03d-ecd379cfad66
  10. BSOD inserting SD card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD inserting SD card: Hi when i turned on my PC i typed my PassWord in and i ejected my SD card while logging in and inserted when my desktop and then i got BSOD. And i forgot what the error was and i know whats in the sd card and its just unsupported files (thats not corrupted and no dll and exe...