Windows 10: SD card reader in my HP Pavilion HPE pc does not work with Windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support SD card reader in my HP Pavilion HPE pc does not work with Windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I just discovered that the SD/MMC USB device no longer recognizes SD cards in the appropriate slot in my HP Pavilion HPE desktop PC. The small... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GregHon, Mar 23, 2020.

1. GregHon Win User

SD card reader in my HP Pavilion HPE pc does not work with Windows 10 upgrade

Hello, I just discovered that the SD/MMC USB device no longer recognizes SD cards in the appropriate slot in my HP Pavilion HPE desktop PC. The small green light comes on when an SD card is inserted, but a message immediately comes up from Windows Explorer saying "Please insert a disk into removable drive F".

I have tried this with several different SD cards so I know it's not a compromised SD card issue. What I have tried so far is to uninstall the device thru the device manager it's listed under disk drives which has not worked after a restart. It just reinstalls the driver that doesn't work. I have also tried to update the driver but a message comes back saying the "best driver is already installed". I then tried to force it to choose a downloaded Realtek SD card reader driver and it refused to find it in the Program files86/Realtek/Realtek Card Reader subdirectory.

I'm stumped. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you solve it?

Thank you.

:)

GregHon, Mar 23, 2020
  2. GregHon Win User

Hello, I just discovered that the SD/MMC USB device no longer recognizes SD cards in the appropriate slot in my HP Pavilion HPE desktop PC. The small green light comes on when an SD card is inserted, but a message immediately comes up from Windows Explorer
    saying "Please insert a disk into removable drive (F)".

I have tried this with several different SD cards so I know it's not a compromised SD card issue. What I have tried so far is to uninstall the device thru the device manager (it's listed under disk drives) which has not worked after a restart. It just reinstalls
    the driver that doesn't work. I have also tried to update the driver but a message comes back saying the "best driver is already installed". I then tried to force it to choose a downloaded Realtek SD card reader driver and it refused to find it in the Program
    files(86)/Realtek/Realtek Card Reader subdirectory.

I'm stumped. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you solve it?

Thank you.

GregHon, May 26, 2020
  3. GregHon Win User

I'm basing the assumption that the original Windows 7 operating system had several other Realtek drivers for this PC. Unfortunately, I can't go back to before I upgraded to 10 a few years ago to see what the original drivers looked like. I can say that the
    verbiage on the built-in SD reader matches what is shown on the disk drives device. When I check the date of the current Windows 10 generic driver for the SD drive, it goes back to 2006.

Since this is an older HP Pavilion tower, I'm stuck as to what those original drivers would have been, but they worked. The support website for HP gave me a generic driver updater which I'm fearful might take other working drivers too far back in time. Here's
    what I was able to download from the HP site:

HPSupportSolutionsFramework-12.13.42.1.exe

Would you advise me to execute it and see what happens?

Thanks Joseph for sticking with me on this problem.

GregHon, May 26, 2020
  4. SD card reader in my HP Pavilion HPE pc does not work with Windows 10 upgrade

sd card reader not reconized

I have a hp pavilion , upgraded to windows 10, about 18months ago,

I have a built is sd card reader , but it doesn't recognise it, I think the sd card reader is not installed.

please help

nigelheard, May 26, 2020
Thema:

1. SD card reader in my HP Pavilion HPE pc does not work with Windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - card reader Pavilion

2. HP Envy x360 convertible - upgraded to windows 11 and now SD card reader does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP Envy x360 convertible - upgraded to windows 11 and now SD card reader does not work: Hi,I've done a bit of research about this, and what I have concluded is that my HP Envy does not support Windows 11, so I shouldn't have upgraded from Windows 10. That is a bit frustrating as my computer suggested that I should upgrade it just came up on in the upgrade...
  3. HP Envy x360 convertible - upgraded to windows 11 and now SD card reader does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP Envy x360 convertible - upgraded to windows 11 and now SD card reader does not work: Hi,I've done a bit of research about this, and what I have concluded is that my HP Envy does not support Windows 11, so I shouldn't have upgraded from Windows 10. That is a bit frustrating as my computer suggested that I should upgrade it just came up on in the upgrade...
  4. HP Pavilion HPE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP Pavilion HPE: When I turn my HP Pavilion HPE on, it immediately says "HP start up menu" If I hit the F9 button rapidly, it sends me to a screen with a blue menu with the heading "Please select boot device" What "boot device" do I select that allows me to do a systems recovery or a...
  5. SD card/SD card reader no longer working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD card/SD card reader no longer working: Hi. New to this so not sure of category. I have a Lenovo G70. Windows 10, 64bit My SD card reader has stopped working. In Device Manager, the SD card is not listed. I can't format the card as it is not listed. I cannot locate the card at all as it is not listed anywhere. I've...
  6. Upgraded to Win 10 & SD Card Reader not Working

Upgraded to Win 10 & SD Card Reader not Working: Hi All, My card reader is working as far as device manager is concerned BUT it is not making ding dong or Ping Pong sound when i insert it. i have tried new drivers, un-install & Re install etc and im at my wits end Please can anyone help?...
  7. SD Card Reader not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    SD Card Reader not working: My PC doesn't recognize my SD card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader-not-working/6a47076e-3cbc-4d69-85bf-53aeedfc23bf
  8. SD-card reader not working

SD-card reader not working: Hi I am having trouble accessing my SD card it work fine with another similar laptop, mine just keeps telling em to format the drive, and when i try to format it says it is not able to format it. Alex...
  9. SD card reader does not work

SD card reader does not work: I am using Asus UX330CA laptop with Win10 64 bit. After recent PC reset my SD card reader does not work. So far: - Installed all the drivers from ASUS support page (chipset, card reader, etc.) - I can see Alcor Micro USB 2.0 Card Reader under Device Manager USB Controllers....
  10. SD card reader does not work under Windows 10

SD card reader does not work under Windows 10: The problem happens with a Thinkpad R500 running 32-bit Windows 10. The R500 has a built-in card reader, however, that reader no longer works properly. Several times I've installed drivers for the card reader. Each time, the reader briefly works, then fails to operate the...