Windows 10: SD drive letter changes at reboot

Discus and support SD drive letter changes at reboot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a micro SD card configured as a disk drive on my laptop. For historical reasons I need it configured as Drive S:, and this worked successfully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlanRouse, Jun 6, 2020.

1. AlanRouse Win User

SD drive letter changes at reboot

I have a micro SD card configured as a disk drive on my laptop. For historical reasons I need it configured as Drive S:, and this worked successfully on other laptops, and previously worked on my current one an HP Envy running Windows 10 with the latest updates. However, a couple of weeks ago when I rebooted the computer it configured the SD card back to drive D:. I can set it back to S: using Computer Management, but each time I reboot it changes back to D:.

I have searched for possible fixes such as SFC, disk cleanup etc, but none works. I have sequentially re-installed the SD card driver, re-formatted the SD card and re-installed Windows in case something has become corrupted, but nothing fixes it. I have disabled virtually all of the startup programs, but that made no difference. If I boot in safe mode it doesn't recognise the SD card, which is perhaps understandable.

The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices shows it as S:, but this changes to D: after a reboot. Something is therefore writing to the registry at startup. It may be a clue that there are seven entries in the key. The last three list drives, C: E: and S:. The first is Default which appears to be blank. The next two each have names that are long strings prefixed by #. The fourth one is a long string prefixed by\\??\Volume. Could it be that the three long strings relate to the three drives, and there is a problem with the last one?

I'm not aware of anything that changed in my system to cause the problem, but Windows Update automatically installed a number of updates earlier this month. Could one of them have caused the problem?

:)

AlanRouse, Jun 6, 2020

2. Micro SD Card drive letter changes on reboot

I have a number of LINX10103G tablets that have micro SD cards in and have been manually assigned to the drive S, although we have noticed that it conflicts with another folder we already have which is set to S. We decided to change the drive letter to Z and hope that resolves the issue. Now on some devices the drive letter changes to Z fine and after a reboot it remains at Z but on a number of devices even though we have assigned the drive the new letter of Z, after a reboot the drive letter reverts back to S.

I have tried a number of ways to try and get the drive to stay at Z but after every reboot it reverts back to S.

I contacted Microsoft who told me to go to this link: Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials and try everything on there to see if that works - I have tried all of the methods on here and after each reboot the drive reverts back to S after a reboot.

After trawling through numerous forums & websites I haven't found anything else that I can try. If anyone has any further suggestions it would be welcome!

Stokesyboy, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Cannot change drive letter

Hello,

I request you to try the steps below:

• Press "Windows" + "R" on the keyboard.
    • Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter key.
    • Now right click on the drive and select Change drive letter or path.
    • Select the drive and click on Change.
    • Now select the drive letter and click on OK.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jun 6, 2020
  4. jumanji Win User

Micro SD Card drive letter changes on reboot

Hi Stokesyboy,

Please try a drive letter cleanup on those tablets where it refuses to stick to Z , as per the following post

https://www.eightforums.com/drivers-...tml#post540114

After the drive cleanup, reboot and then plug in your SD Card. It will be reinstalled afresh with a drive letter. Change the drive letter to Z and then check whether it sticks on subsequent reboots..

What you have done is to remove all drive letters associated with non-present devices which Windows stubbornly refuses to release otherwise.

I will be surprised if it does not resolve your problem.

Note: You may try the latest version of DriveCleanup - Download V1.5.0 (Registry cleanup under Mounteddevices2 works again) drivecleanup.zip instead of v 0.8.1 mentioned in the above post

I do a periodic drivecleanup on my Windows 7 PC to remove the non-existent drives and registry entries and drive letters associated with those non-existent drives. ( Though I have a Windows 8.1 PC - me the non-user *chuckle - and Windows 10 PC - my wife, the user and which I do not touch unless she reports something "serious" - mostly her ignorance SD drive letter changes at reboot :) - I hadn't used the drive cleanup on these machines since we very rarely plug-in and plug out external devices on them.)

jumanji, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

1. SD drive letter changes at reboot - Similar Threads - drive letter changes

2. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  3. Change SSD drive letter

Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  4. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  5. SD drive letter changes at reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD drive letter changes at reboot: I have a micro SD card configured as a disk drive on my laptop. For historical reasons I need it configured as Drive S:, and this worked successfully on other laptops, and previously worked on my current one an HP Envy running Windows 10 with the latest updates. However, a...
  6. Change drive letters assigned

Change drive letters assigned: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  7. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  8. Change OS Drive Letter

Change OS Drive Letter: I've got a two hard drive laptop set up and I'd like the OS to be on my faster 256GB OCZ RD400 SSD but with a letter other than C: I don't care what letter, just not C. My larger 1 TB drive, is what I'd like to label as C: without the operating system on it. I use DropBox...
  9. How to change drive letter of mirror drive

How to change drive letter of mirror drive: I have just set up a mirror drive(software RAID1) and want to change the drive letter. I am getting a message "The parameter is incorrect". I am wondering if I am stuck with the one assigned when the mirror drive was set up. 27607
  10. Micro SD Card drive letter changes on reboot

Micro SD Card drive letter changes on reboot: I have a number of LINX10103G tablets that have micro SD cards in and have been manually assigned to the drive S, although we have noticed that it conflicts with another folder we already have which is set to S. We decided to change the drive letter to Z and hope that...