Windows 10: SDD not always showing

Discus and support SDD not always showing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My old PC failed totally (motherboard fault, I think) but my hard drives were OK - a 2TB and a 250GB SSD. It was a very old Packard Bell. I've bought a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Geoff S, May 27, 2021.

1. Geoff S Win User

SDD not always showing

My old PC failed totally (motherboard fault, I think) but my hard drives were OK - a 2TB and a 250GB SSD. It was a very old Packard Bell. I've bought a reconditioned HP Elite desk top witha 1TB HB with Win10 64bit Home already installed. It works OK but, as I wanted not only my data (which was backed up) but my various installed SW packages, I replaced (not physically but electrically) the HD with the one from my old PC. It booted and ran OK. Now the oddity. I also fitted the Lewmar 250GB SSD and pluugged it into a spare SATA connector on the motherboard but it doesn't show. I've tried various ploys like changing the SATA in BIOS from AHCI to IDE with no real joy although it ocasionally appears and I've been able to reformat it and even write and read data but it never survives a Shut Down and reboot. I can only assume that it's something to do with the SATA settings (there's only a standard AHCI Controller listed in Device Manager) I'm at a loss . I'm a (very) retired electronics engineer who's been involved with computers on and off since 1961 but I know little about systems programming. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions. Geof

:)

Geoff S, May 27, 2021

2. SDD and a HDD windows 10

I have Windows 10 installed on a 525gb SDD. I have a 1tb HDD that I'm using for my data. I've been reading a lot of conflicting tweaks to use on the SDD. Help!

1. Should I eliminate the swap on the SDD? I do a have a windows managed swap file on the HDD.

2. Should I turn off indexing on the SDD?

3. Should I turn off system restore on the SDD?

Most of the articles I've been reading have been a couple of years old. I know that the current SDDs are better but do these same tweaks apply now?

Any info and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

saturn7110x, May 27, 2021
  3. TenOclock Win User
    Not able to format 512GB Crucial MX100 (SDD#1)

October 2016

Hi everybody,
    Like I say in the topic I can’t format my SSD#1 Crucial MX100 512GB.
    Here what I try. Thanks.

Operating System: Windows 10 full updated (October 2016)
    Computer: Asus Maximus Formula (buy at 2008)
    BIOS: Legacy BIOS (mean no UEFI - Unified Extensible Firmware Interface)

BIOS and Windows 10 recognized the SDD#1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1- I try Disk Management to format the SDD#1.
    One with “Quick format” option check and one with “Quick format” uncheck.

Same result for both:
    The windows message received:
    “Virtual Disk Manager” (title of the windows showing the message)
    The format did not complete successfully (the message)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2- For this step I just connect the SDD#1 and the CDROM
    I try to boot from Windows 10 DVD installation, choose “Install” and Windows is not able to delete the partition on the SDD#1. It is not able to create a partition neither. And sure it’s not able to install Windows 10 on the SDD#1.
    3- For this step I just connect the SDD#1 and the CDROM
    I try to boot from Windows 10 DVD installation, choose “Repair”, go in command prompt and do the following:

Diskpart
    List disk
    List volume

Select disk 0
    Select volume 1
    Clean

Message received:
    DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. See the System Event Log for more information.
    4- For this step I connect all my SDD#1 and HDD and put the SDD#1 on other port.
    I go to CMD and enter the same command than above for same result.
    This time I can check the Event Viewer:

Event Viewer
    464 Error and 1 Warning

Warning
    Event Properties - Event 153, disk
    The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\0000002a) was retried.

Errors (repeat the following errors 232 time ? - I don't check all but it appear to be same two errors)
    Event Properties - Event 24620, BitLocker Driver
    Encrypted volume check: Volume information on \\?\Volume{01128aa1-0000-0000-007e-000000000000} cannot be read.

Event Properties - Event 7, disk
    The device, \Device\Harddisk2\DR2, has a bad block.
    5- I try the free program “ MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition 9.1” and nothing work. Not able to delete partion not able to create one.
    6- I try GParted under XUbuntu and it’s not work too.

I am very sad. I do not have $ 200 for buying another SSD.
    Are there something to do to format the SSD # 1?
    I can’t believe it's broken. I have hard disks (trays) much older than it and that still works

SDD not always showing [​IMG]

TenOclock, May 27, 2021
  4. 3Colors Win User

SDD not always showing

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond SDD not always showing :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, May 27, 2021
Thema:

SDD not always showing

1. SDD not always showing - Similar Threads - SDD always showing

2. SDD Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SDD Issue: I had a Ransomeware virus attatched to my pc and it turned off my secure DNS from google chrome. Wonder how i would turn it on i went on a youtube video and i didn't have the Folder with the Registry in the registry editor. I know how randomswore can attack and edit the...
  3. SDD Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SDD Issue: I had a Ransomeware virus attatched to my pc and it turned off my secure DNS from google chrome. Wonder how i would turn it on i went on a youtube video and i didn't have the Folder with the Registry in the registry editor. I know how randomswore can attack and edit the...
  4. SDD Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SDD not always showing

in Windows 10 Support
    SDD not always showing: My old PC failed totally (motherboard fault, I think) but my hard drives were OK - a 2TB and a 250GB SSD. It was a very old Packard Bell. I've bought a reconditioned HP Elite desk top witha 1TB HB with Win10 64bit Home already installed. It works OK but, as I wanted not only...
  6. New SDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New SDD: If I buy a new ssd and install it on my windows 10 refurbished computer that came with a new genuine oem copy of windows 10 preinstalled. I activated it and have a digital license for it but will my new ssd validate windows 10 threw digital license once I swap out the old...
  7. [HELP] SDD disappeared?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] SDD disappeared?: Alright, so, I decided today that I would reset my computer, I do it and it begins resetting. Once it reached 100%, automatic repair came up and started diagnosing a problem. Once it finished, it said "automatic repair couldn't repair your PC". I was confused. After an hour...
  8. Replacing HDD with a SDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing HDD with a SDD: I have an Inspiron 5477 AIO and want to replace its HDD with as large a SDD I can afford. The problem is I don't know how to hook up the SDD to affect the migration. Is there an additional SATA connection available to which I can connect the SDD? Then manual makes no mention...
  9. Replacing HDD with a SDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing HDD with a SDD: I have an Inspiron 5477 AIO and want to replace its HDD with as large a SDD I can afford. The problem is I don't know how to hook up the SDD to affect the migration. Is there an additional SATA connection available to which I can connect the SDD? Then manual makes no mention...
  10. HDD to SDD ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD to SDD ?: I just finished installing my SSD. I used Macrium Reflect to move the partitions from my HDD to the SSD. Everything is working OK so far. [img] In Disk management Disk 0 has a 17.76GB partition. It's the OEM restore partition. As you can see it's not assigned a drive...