Windows 10: Sea of Thieves (0x80073CF9) install error -- Microsoft Store is a piece of garbage.

Discus and support Sea of Thieves (0x80073CF9) install error -- Microsoft Store is a piece of garbage. in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Problem Explanation I am attempting to download/install Sea of Thieves using Microsoft Store on my Windows 10 system, and am getting the error... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by Neoblizz, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Neoblizz Win User

Sea of Thieves (0x80073CF9) install error -- Microsoft Store is a piece of garbage.

Problem Explanation

I am attempting to download/install Sea of Thieves using Microsoft Store on my Windows 10 system, and am getting the error 0x80073CF9. I am not using Xbox subscription for this, I actually bought the complete game for full price back in January, 2019.

System Specification

• Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    • Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.476)
    • Razer Blade Signature Edition (Razer Inc.)
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20 GHz
    • Installed Memory (RAM): 16GB
    • Free Disk Space: ~90 GB
    • GPU: 1070 Max-Q

What I have tried...

I will list all the things I have tried, but I also would like to say that there have been 9 support agents from Microsoft that I have talked to in the past 2 days in attempt to get this issue fixed -- none of them were able to get past the error or even generate anything new. Out of those 9, 4 of them actually controlled my PC using remote desktop control in an attempt to fix it (so, it isn't me messing up on their instructions).

• wsreset (numerous times)
    • logged out and logged back in Microsoft Store
    • clear all the different types of caches, including MS Store cache and entire windows temp directory
    • Clear SoftwareDistribution folder
    • Gave permission to AppReadiness folder
    • Made sure AUInstallAgent, AppReadiness exists
    • Removed and reinstalled MS Store using the powershell commands
    • sfc /scannow
    • Made sure WindowsApps folder had the correct permissions (TrustedInstaller, SYSTEM, ALL APPLIC...)
    • Checked Xbox Networking connection, it was actually giving a NAT type error and I clicked "Fix Now" and checked again and it had fixed itself. On reboot, it fails again to "Teredo is unable to qualify. This could block you from playing multiplayer games"
    • Made sure Windows 10 was up-to-date
    • Made sure MS Store was up-to-date
    • Reinstalled Gaming Services app on MS Store
    • Installed Xbox (Beta) app, Xbox Console Companion - Beta app.
    • Tried installing the game using the Xbox (Beta) app, resulted in the same error.
    • Tried changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 (google open DNS)
    • Tried using a different network all together (school/work network) to download the game, just to rule out my home network
    • Tried disabling Firewall and Windows defender real time checks
    • Tried installing Spotify and other apps (download and install just fine, no issue whatsoever)
    • Activated hidden Administrator account and tried installing SoT on that account, same issue.
    • Made a new regular admin user (not hidden), same issue
    • Reinstalled windows using the upgrade -- keep all files setting, same issue
    • Changed the Workgroup of the system to a new one (off of the home workgroup that I had it set to), same issue
    • Made sure that App install location is set to the only drive I have in the system (C: drive)
    • Tried using Delivery Optimization turned on to download updates/sea of thieves, didn't do anything (I had this turned off)
    • I used my desktop PC to install the game, it worked perfectly fine on that. Installed within a few mins.
    • Tried using wifi and LAN to download it (didnt work)
    • Tried giving more permission to AppRepository folder, didnt work
    • Did a disk cleanup, removed all DirectX cache, didn't work

As you can tell from the above list, I have exhausted different methods -- the last agent I talked to, she basically said that we are gonna ask the hardware team and I should see an email (I saw no email btw) from them. And she didn't know what to do. I am now asking the community if I could do anything to fix this without doing a clean wipe of my system. I would truly appreciate anyone who is able to suggest something new to try.

Also, I am sure I missed a few things I have tried -- lost track of it. But the list above is most of them.

:)

Neoblizz, Nov 26, 2019
  2. Mala_S Win User

Unable to download Sea of Thieves from Store

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Kindly follow the below steps.

Step 1: Launch Microsoft Store and click on the Account icon on the top right corner of Microsoft Store.

Step 2: Enter the email address that you used during the purchase of Sea Of Thieves game. (The email address that you have received as purchase verification mail for Sea Of Thieves).

Step 3: Once you have logged into Microsoft Store, search for Sea Of Thieves game by clicking on the Search bar on the top right corner of Microsoft Store.

Step 4: Select the Sea Of Thieves game, download and install.

Regards,

Mala.S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Nov 26, 2019
  3. I cannot download Sea of Thieves on PC from microsoft store.

Hi Christopher,

Sorry for the delayed response. We identified this issue regards downloading Sea of Thieves from Windows Store App and we still working on it to fix the problem. As a workaround, we suggest following the steps below:

• Cancel all existing download on the Store app.
    • Start the download of Sea of Thieves once again.
    • As soon as the download starts, immediately restart the computer.
    • After the reboot, do not launch the Store app instead wait for the passive download which you can check in the Action Center. Then it will automatically install by itself and then open the game without any issues.

For any results, please let us know.

Genevieve Cri, Nov 26, 2019
  4. NazuKN Win User

Sea of Thieves (0x80073CF9) install error -- Microsoft Store is a piece of garbage.

Error code 0x80073CF9 with Sea of Thieves

Hi,

I recently got the 14-day free Game Pass trial to try out Sea of Thieves, and i keep getting an error code 0x80073CF9 and out of curiosity i tried it with my Xbox One and it worked fine. Then i tried Gears of War 4 on the PC and it gave me the same error
    as Sea of Thieves. I've been researching it for the past 2 days and tried every solution i can find and even did a full PC reset and it still doesn't work. It's very frustrating and i would like to know if there's anything more i can do about it because i
    would really like to try this game on my PC.

[Moved from: Windows / Apps on Windows 10 / Other Windows apps / Games]

NazuKN, Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Sea of Thieves (0x80073CF9) install error -- Microsoft Store is a piece of garbage. - Similar Threads - Sea Thieves 0x80073CF9

2. Microsoft Store Sea of Thieves Update issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store Sea of Thieves Update issue: My Microsoft account won't allow me to update Sea of Thieves $60 btw in the Microsoft store. IT IS CURRENTLY UNPLAYABLE, as each time a new update becomes available I have to up date to play it, but MS say's it's unable to at the moment try again later. I tried and tried for...
  3. 0x80070005 error when installing Sea of thieves on microsoft store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x80070005 error when installing Sea of thieves on microsoft store: Get this error when i try to download sea of thieves through game pass i can download other games just not this one. The same goes for the xbox app....
  4. Sea of thieves install microsoft store stuck at 25%

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Sea of thieves install microsoft store stuck at 25%: Hi,I've tried multiple steps to try and solve this like running troubleshooting tool but it said it didn't find any issues. Signed in and out and reset the app in settings all for the install to jump all the way back to 25% in an instant. I'm lost for answers. Please help....
  5. Microsoft Store installation bug Sea of Thieves

Microsoft Store installation bug Sea of Thieves: Some context:I've been playing Sea of Thieves for years now, without any problem installing it, or anything, but today when I tried to play with it, it crashed multiple times, so I thought I would re-install it. I searched ''Sea of thieves''- Right click - Uninstall, then I...
  6. Error 0x80073cf9 while trying to redownload The Outer Worlds and Sea of Thieves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x80073cf9 while trying to redownload The Outer Worlds and Sea of Thieves: Hello, I'm getting error 0x80073cf9 while trying to redownload Sea of Thieves and The Outer Worlds from the Microsoft Store/Xbox app. I have succefully downloaded them before, but no longer can. I haven't encountered this with games I haven't played/downloaded before....
  7. Sea of Thieves is on Microsoft store but not on Windows store

Sea of Thieves is on Microsoft store but not on Windows store: Hey, I just bought a new computer and this one have "Windows store". On my old one it was "Microsoft store" so i throught that it was the same but no. I wanted to download Sea of Thieves on my new computer but on Windows store this game doesn't exist and it's the same for...
  8. 0x80073CF9 install error -- Microsoft Store is a piece of garbage.

0x80073CF9 install error -- Microsoft Store is a piece of garbage.: Problem Explanation I am attempting to download/install Sea of Thieves using Microsoft Store on my Windows 10 system, and am getting the error 0x80073CF9. I am not using Xbox subscription for this, I actually bought the complete game for full price back in January, 2019....
  9. Sea of Thieves is not available in my Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sea of Thieves is not available in my Microsoft Store: Hi! Why is Sea of Thieves not available in my Microsoft Store? Me and my friend want to buy the game. Some games are avaialbe like State of Decay 2, Forza Horizon 4 Etc. And I've already purchased a game in my store(State Of Decay 2: Ultimate Edition Preorder). And by the way...
  10. Downloading Sea of Thieves on microsoft error (code 0x80073cf9)

Downloading Sea of Thieves on microsoft error (code 0x80073cf9): Hi all, I recently bought Sea of Thieves, but I'm having trouble downloading the game. Whenever I try to download the game, it stops automatically after 30 seconds or so giving error code 0x80073cf9. I tried several things that I found on this forum to solve it but none...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sea of thieves 0x80073cf9