Windows 10: Seagate 4TB backup HD seems dead

Discus and support Seagate 4TB backup HD seems dead in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I had an external 4TB Seagate backup HD for 2 to 3 years now used solely for Macrium. Never had a problem with it. Now my PC won't reboot without me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Corona, May 5, 2021.

1. Corona Win User

Seagate 4TB backup HD seems dead

I had an external 4TB Seagate backup HD for 2 to 3 years now used solely for Macrium. Never had a problem with it. Now my PC won't reboot without me unplugging that HD. It won't even show up in Explorer, or the 'safely remove' desktop icon. That tended to freeze if I clicked on it. HWiNFO64 didn't even start unless I unplugged it from my PC. Also I noticed a quiet whirring sound from the HD I never heard before. So I bought a new one from Newegg yesterday. I'll have it in about a week. Do Seagate 4TB backups tend to crap out so soon? It was only about 1/4 full. I got a years' worth of backups on that HD. I'll start fresh with the new one no problem. But still it'd be nice to have that old one working, just for access. Any thoughts?

:)

Corona, May 5, 2021
  2. Corona Win User

I had an external 4TB Seagate backup HD for 2 to 3 years now used solely for Macrium. Never had a problem with it. Now my PC won't reboot without me unplugging that HD. It won't even show up in Explorer, or the 'safely remove' desktop icon. That tended to freeze if I clicked on it. HWiNFO64 didn't even start unless I unplugged it from my PC.
    Also I noticed a quiet whirring sound from the HD I never heard before. So I bought a new one from Newegg yesterday. I'll have it in about a week.

Do Seagate 4TB backups tend to crap out so soon? It was only about 1/4 full. I got a years' worth of backups on that HD. I'll start fresh with the new one no problem. But still it'd be nice to have that old one working, just for access. Any thoughts? *Huh

Corona, May 5, 2021
  3. SIW2 Win User

I took the disk out of the enclosure. It works fine. Possibly that would be worth a try in your case.

SIW2, May 5, 2021
  4. Seagate 4TB backup HD seems dead

@ corona
    Interesting. A few short years ago I purchased a couple of external usb Seagate 2TB drives. I used them frequently for over a year with no issues. Then I saw the Seagate 4TB external usb drive and assumed it would be just as reliable. It was not. The Seagate 2TB Drives are still working fine.

MachineLanguage, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Seagate 4TB backup HD seems dead - Similar Threads - Seagate 4TB backup

2. Not Able to restore files from Seagate Backup Plus 4TB.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Able to restore files from Seagate Backup Plus 4TB.: I receive the following screen at the last step of restoring a file. I am running Windows 11 and I have the Windows Task Scheduler App on my computer but no specific tasks for Seagate setup...
  3. Not Able to restore files from Seagate Backup Plus 4TB.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not Able to restore files from Seagate Backup Plus 4TB.: I receive the following screen at the last step of restoring a file. I am running Windows 11 and I have the Windows Task Scheduler App on my computer but no specific tasks for Seagate setup...
  4. 4TB Seagate HHD not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4TB Seagate HHD not showing: My PC was recently clean installed because i was stuck in an auto repair loop and now im trying to connect my 4TB Seagate HHD, however the drive isnt showing up in BIOS UEFI, Device manager or Disk management....
  5. 4TB Seagate HHD not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    4TB Seagate HHD not showing: My PC was recently clean installed because i was stuck in an auto repair loop and now im trying to connect my 4TB Seagate HHD, however the drive isnt showing up in BIOS UEFI, Device manager or Disk management....
  6. 4TB Seagate HHD not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Dead HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead HD: how can I get my licensed copy of windows from a totally dead hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dead-hd/522bea60-25ca-4c2b-8e19-32eb7b2fe1d5
  8. Brand new Seagate 4TB inaccessible

Brand new Seagate 4TB inaccessible: When I double click on my brand new 4TB Seagate external drive I get a message saying that the F drive is not accessible. Access is denied. It then also shows a message stating that 'This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.' Never knew...
  9. Can't connect 4TB Seagate External HD to Windows 10 HP Envy laptop

Can't connect 4TB Seagate External HD to Windows 10 HP Envy laptop: Hello! I recently purchased an HP Envy x360 laptop and tried to connect my Seagate 4TB Hard Drive. While it connects and I can see that there's a drive connected when I go into the drives menu, it doesn't list the name of the drive nor can I see what's inside it. All the...
  10. Unable to detect Seagate 4TB External HDD

Unable to detect Seagate 4TB External HDD: Hi I have been trying to plug and unplug the Seagate 4TB External HDD with my Mac Pro which run Windows and was unable to detect my HDD. what is the cause of the problem and how can I recover it? Anyone can help or advice what should I do? Thanks...