Windows 10: Seagate external drive missing and also Toshiba portable missing on Windows 10

Discus and support Seagate external drive missing and also Toshiba portable missing on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Both my drives appear sometimes at boot up but can sometimes disappear later. I have tried to update drivers and so. In device manager I tried to find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Andrey Tereshenko, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Seagate external drive missing and also Toshiba portable missing on Windows 10

Both my drives appear sometimes at boot up but can sometimes disappear later. I have tried to update drivers and so. In device manager I tried to find portable devices but there is nothing listed. I noticed these two things but I do not know if they are related. My computer is the Lenovo Ideacentre.

Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - (Microsoft)
    Device type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Manufacturer: Generic USB xHCI Host Controller

This device is not present, is not working properly or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)

Multimedia controller
    Device type: Other devices
    Manufacturer: Unknown

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    There are no compatible drivers for this device.

Can anyone help as I am a photographer and external storage is my life.

:)

Andrey Tereshenko, Oct 21, 2018

2. Seagate external drive missing and also Toshiba portable missing on Windows 10

Hi.

The model is the B540. This problem occured 4 weeks back after a Windows 10 update (not the 1809). I was at home in Ukraine visiting relatives. When I returned to UK and started the computer Windows started downloading all the updates that I missed. After
    this I had this problem. The Seagate and Toshiba external drives work on my laptop.

I will try your suggestions and write back to you.

Many thanks

Andrey Tereshenko, Oct 25, 2018
  3. Seagate expansion portable drive not recognised by Windows 10

After upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (home basic) my external portable drive is not recognized. I was using the same in Windows 7 without any problem. Do I have to install a driver for Seagate expansion portable drive (500gb). If so kindly provide
    the link to download the drive. I could not find any help in Seagate's web site hence this request.

Gvedantham, Oct 25, 2018
  4. Seagate external drive missing and also Toshiba portable missing on Windows 10

Seagate external drive missing and also Toshiba portable missing on Windows 10

Hi Andrey,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

Code 24 refers “The device is installed incorrectly.
    The problem could be a hardware failure, or a new driver might be needed.
    Devices stay in this state if they have been prepared for removal. After you remove the device, this error disappears”.

Code 28 refers "Reinstall the device driver manually".

Refer to this
    article
    for more information.

We need few information.

• When did this issue occur?
    • Did you do any major changes on the PC?
    • What is the model number for Lenovo Ideacenter you are using?
    • Did you try connecting the Seagate external drive to another device and checked?

We would suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below and let us know if that helps.

Method 1:

Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems by running the setup mentioned in this

link

Method 2: Uninstall the USB controllers.

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard. Select
      Device manager.
    2. In Device manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    3. Right click on USB Root Hub & USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) and select
      Uninstall device.
    4. You will receive a prompt; make sure you check the box for
      Delete the driver software.

Method 3:

Please download and install the latest chipset driver from Lenovo website using this
    link.

Hope it helps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

Seagate external drive missing and also Toshiba portable missing on Windows 10

1. Seagate external drive missing and also Toshiba portable missing on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Seagate external drive

2. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  3. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  4. Missing files on external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing files on external drive: Some part of my game back ups are missing. The missing parts classifield as system files. Is there any way to recover them without third party softwares or formatting. I can access like 250 gb of files but rest of all missing. And my external drive is tagged local disk,...
  5. Missing files on external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing files on external drive: Some part of my game back ups are missing. The missing parts classifield as system files. Is there any way to recover them without third party softwares or formatting. I can access like 250 gb of files but rest of all missing. And my external drive is tagged local disk,...
  6. Missing files on external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Seagate External Drives not Functioning in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Drives not Functioning in Windows 10: I've talked to Seagate ... they were useless ... and now I'm pleading with you to fix this issue of communication between Windows 10 and these external drives. I have THREE and them all disappearing over a month's time can't be a coincidence. I'm reading that I'm not the only...
  8. seagate external drive not recognised in Windows 10

seagate external drive not recognised in Windows 10: Hi, my Seagate BUP Slim BK USB Device/external drive was corrupted yesterday when I connected it to my computer. This is the message I get when I try to connect it E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. And when I try to have it scanned for...
  9. Conflict Windows 10 and Seagate External Drive

Conflict Windows 10 and Seagate External Drive: I am at my wits end. Windows 10 will not recognize my Seagate Expansion External Drive. I need to obtain some data files on the exyernal drive, and have tried every remedy I could find online, without success. Does anyone have any recommendations?...
  10. Any progress on Seagate GoFlex Missing Drives?

Any progress on Seagate GoFlex Missing Drives?: Still can only access drive by web interface - can't backup to drive or even connect directly. When are you going to fix it Microsoft? Has anyone got a third party solution for backups to GoFlex drive?...