Windows 10: Seagate External Drive Not Waking

Discus and support Seagate External Drive Not Waking in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Seagate external drive that I save my backups to. I run my backup around midnight, when the computer has not been used for a good 5-6 hours. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gator5000e, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Seagate External Drive Not Waking

I have a Seagate external drive that I save my backups to. I run my backup around midnight, when the computer has not been used for a good 5-6 hours. I have been getting errors with the backup that the drive has not been accessible and thus the backup is not successful.

When I double click on the drive icon in This PC , is takes about 20 seconds for the green bar to scroll across the top of the dialog box before I can see the full contents of the drive. The old Seagate software used to allow me to adjust the properties of the drives to make sure the drives stay awake at all times. As has been posted elsewhere, Seagate has not updated its software to be compatible with W10.

So my question is are there any other ways to make sure the external drive remains accessible after not being used for a while? Thanks for any thoughts.

:)

Gator5000e, Sep 14, 2015

2. Is widows 10 compatible with seagate freeagent external drives?

I am not able to access my seagate freeagent external hard drive with windows 10. I installed the Seagate software on my surface pro 3, I can see the Seagate drive in windows explorer. However, when I open the Seagate manager no external drive is shown.
    Is windows 10 compatible with Seagate external drive?

RyanPastore, Sep 14, 2015
  3. Retrieve the files on Seagate external hard drive

Original title: Seagate external hard drive

How do I retrieve the files I have on my Seagate external hard drive?

Keith.M.Scott63, Sep 14, 2015
Thema:

Seagate External Drive Not Waking

1. Seagate External Drive Not Waking - Similar Threads - Seagate External Drive

2. Seagate External Drives not Functioning in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Drives not Functioning in Windows 10: I've talked to Seagate ... they were useless ... and now I'm pleading with you to fix this issue of communication between Windows 10 and these external drives. I have THREE and them all disappearing over a month's time can't be a coincidence. I'm reading that I'm not the only...
  3. Unable to connect w/Seagate external drives

Unable to connect w/Seagate external drives: I just got new desktop with Win 10/home (profile specs are up-to-date). I have used two Seagate external drives for several years. I had a store technician copy data from old computer to new computer. Now I was trying to move some of my data to my Seagate Go-Flex external...
  4. how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...: Every time I try to do it, it keeps giving me error messages like Those files are open in another system. or if I try to remove the old Seagate so I can attach a new one it says error. I just want to put the new one on and tell it to receive the backup files....
  5. Reformating Seagate 1TB USB External driveds

Reformating Seagate 1TB USB External driveds: I have a 1TB Seagate USB external hard drive I'm trying tor reformat to exFat file system to use data storage on a Chromebook. The disk worked perfectly for more than five years using NTSF file system before I tried to reformat it. It was in formatting stage for for about six...
  6. location not available for my seagat external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    location not available for my seagat external drive: I have just upgraded to win 10 Pro. My Seagate 2tb external drive shows an error message "Location not available. How do I rectify this p roblem?...
  7. Conflict Windows 10 and Seagate External Drive

Conflict Windows 10 and Seagate External Drive: I am at my wits end. Windows 10 will not recognize my Seagate Expansion External Drive. I need to obtain some data files on the exyernal drive, and have tried every remedy I could find online, without success. Does anyone have any recommendations?...
  8. Seagate External Hard Drive not working

Seagate External Hard Drive not working: I have been trying for several months to understand why my external drive is not working, there are no drive lights flashing although it is humming. I have checked it all out in Device Manager, etc and it recorded as healthy and running correctly. In frustration I have...
  9. Seagate External Hard drive Decryption

Seagate External Hard drive Decryption: My Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) was encrypted in Microsoft Windows 10. When I tried to decrypt it and removed password, Initially, it was removed. but when i plugged it in again in PC, it started asking for password / recovery key. I am using the same key which was...
  10. Seagate 2tb external drive

Seagate 2tb external drive: Bought a new usb cord since it kept randomly disconnecting the drive. It shows up in device management and on disk drives yet it says it cant initialize and wont show how much memory has been used or is available in volumes I dont know what to do...