Windows 10: Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management

Discus and support Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello I have a 4 TB seagate imagepro external harddrive which I have been using for about two years. Every time I plugged it in I would get a message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by geoal369, Oct 6, 2019.

1. geoal369 Win User

Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management

Hello I have a 4 TB seagate imagepro external harddrive which I have been using for about two years.

Every time I plugged it in I would get a message saying there are problems with the drive and I always ignored it. Finally I chose the option to scan and repair. While this process was happening we had a power outage occurred.

Now my drive is not detected by windows explorer. Originally, I was able to do into disk management and it would find my drive. Fruthermore I was able to go to device manager where the drive was detectable with no issues. Now that is no longer the case. The only place I see my drive is in device manager and that is temporary. When I go to volume I see nothing and when I choose to populate it says "volume information for this drive cannot be found".

I don't believe there is any physical damage to the drive. Are there any tools out there that I can use to extract the contents of the drive?

Thanks,

GA

:)

geoal369, Oct 6, 2019
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Oct 6, 2019
  3. TomWardle Win User
    Seagate Manager does not recognize external Seagate Drive after upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

I recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I have used Seagate Manager for backup for several years without any problems. After upgrading, Seagate Manage does not recogize either of my external seagate drives. The drives are recognized by the computer
    (listed in "This PC", and can be accessed. However, Seagate Manage cannot find either drive.

TomWardle, Oct 6, 2019
  4. lbclt Win User

2TB Seagate drive not recognized Windows 10 (no Disk Management)

I have a 2TB Seagate GoFlex Desk external hard drive that works fine on my previous Windows XP computer (I know, very old) but is not recognized at all on my less-than-a-year old Toshiba laptop (S55-C5274) running Windows 10. I have been through support with Seagate, Microsoft, and Toshiba, with each of them point the finger at the other with no resolution. According to Seagate, the drive is compatible with Windows 10 and should work.

Unlike other users' problems I've read, my Windows 10 PC does not recognize the external hard drive anywhere - no sound recognizing something is there when plugging in, nothing in This PC/My Computer, and nothing shows in Disk Management or Device Manager. So unlike many others, I am unable to just do a partitioning to assign a letter via Disk Management - the computer doesn't even recognize it's there. The Seagate drive, however, does light up when plugged into the Windows 10 computer, and as I mentioned, still works perfectly on the Windows XP machine, where it is accessible via My Computer.

I have tested every USB port on the Windows 10 machine, and all work fine with other drives and peripherals, so it's not a hardware issue. Also, I have moved all my data from the Seagate drive onto a 2nd external drive, so losing data is not an issue. I even reformatted the Seagate drive (NTFS) via the Windows XP machine, but that did not change anything. Also, I have never used the Seagate software to manage the drive (which is not compatible with Windows 10) on either PC, and it has always worked fine without the software. Finally, the Toshiba Windows 10 PC is up to date with Windows Updates.

I'm tired of being bounced around with zero help from Seagate, Microsoft, and Toshiba. Can anyone here help? I really hate to have a perfectly good 2TB drive become useless with all future PCs...

Thank you!

lbclt, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management - Similar Threads - Seagate external drive

2. My external seagate hard drive can be detected in the Device Manager, but cannot be opened...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external seagate hard drive can be detected in the Device Manager, but cannot be opened...: I've been trying to access my files that are stored in an external seagate hard drive, but I cannot do so. Strangely enough, the Device Manager tab Computer Management > System Tools > Device Manager > Disk drives can detect that my hard drive is connected. However, the File...
  3. My external seagate hard drive can be detected in the Device Manager, but cannot be opened...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external seagate hard drive can be detected in the Device Manager, but cannot be opened...: I've been trying to access my files that are stored in an external seagate hard drive, but I cannot do so. Strangely enough, the Device Manager tab Computer Management > System Tools > Device Manager > Disk drives can detect that my hard drive is connected. However, the File...
  4. My external seagate hard drive can be detected in the Device Manager, but cannot be opened...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager

External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager: I was transferring data to my external HDD when the transfer dropped to 0b/s and refused to pause and cancel, eventually resulting in the window becoming unresponsive. I ended up plugging out the HDD at that point as I couldn't get it to eject. Subsequently the HDD was no...
  6. Drive D not showing in explorer, device manager or disk management

Drive D not showing in explorer, device manager or disk management: Yesterday night I started some updates for windows and left them over night. Today I turn on my laptop and all the stuff on drive d is gone. My whole drive was gone. It isn't showing up in the explorer, disk manager, device manager and it isn't even showing up in the bios. I...
  7. My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on...: My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on file manager,it shows that it is online in disk management and that there are 2 partitions and both are online How do i fix this? [ATTACH]...
  8. Win10 Disk Management not recognizing my WesternDigital external backup drive

Win10 Disk Management not recognizing my WesternDigital external backup drive: Hi, Moderators, if I have mis-categorized this question, please re-categorize as needed. I have Win10 on an HP desktop. I've been using a 4TB Western Digital external hard drive to back up my desktop data weekly and have had no problems doing this. The point is that this...
  9. Disk Management for External SSD drive

Disk Management for External SSD drive: I bought a Samsung 500 GB SSD T5 and I'd like to use it without the Samsung app, just as an external drive. Disk management shows it as a 42 MB partition. I'd like to delete this partition and reclaim the rest of my 500 GBs but nothing I do will allow this. Is this an...
  10. 2TB Seagate drive not recognized Windows 10 (no Disk Management)

2TB Seagate drive not recognized Windows 10 (no Disk Management): I have a 2TB Seagate GoFlex Desk external hard drive that works fine on my previous Windows XP computer (I know, very old) but is not recognized at all on my less-than-a-year old Toshiba laptop (S55-C5274) running Windows 10. I have been through support with Seagate,...