Windows 10: Seagate free agent back-up not working

Discus and support Seagate free agent back-up not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Ever since I installed Windows 10 my Seagate Free agent back-up drive doesn't work. When I try to back-up my computer the Seagate manager says there's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MNMary, Aug 9, 2015.

1. MNMary Win User

Seagate free agent back-up not working

Ever since I installed Windows 10 my Seagate Free agent back-up drive doesn't work. When I try to back-up my computer the Seagate manager says there's no drive connected. When I look on the file explorer the Seagate drive shows. but the the Seagate manager still shows no drives connected.
    Is this a compatibility issue with Windows 10, or am I missing something?
    Thanks in advice for the advice,
    Mary

:)

MNMary, Aug 9, 2015

2. Windows10 will not recognize Seagate Free Agent External Hard Drive

I have a Seagate Free Agent External Hard Drive, my windows 10 will not recognize it. Is there a solution?

Original title : Seagate Free Agent

JRedmond192, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Windows 10 causing sudden hard drive death

This morning I am unable to access my external Seagate Free agent drive. Does Microsoft have a way to recover the data? It is showing up in the Device management as unallocated.

AnishaAnand, Aug 9, 2015
  4. Seagate free agent back-up not working

I have the identical problem MNMary describes. Now that I see her post, I assume Seagate must catch-up, or perhaps it is another problem. I'm not finished looking around, but was glad to find it is nothing at my end that is the problem. Awaiting some brilliant reply - I'm just a user every year further behind.

GuillermoBill, Aug 9, 2015
  5. ash55 Win User
    It doesn't work on 10. After looking around I'm now using GFI Backup, which is free and so far so good GFI Backup - Download

ash55, Aug 9, 2015
  6. MyloTcat Win User
    Just upgraded to Windows 10 today. When the upgrade finished the Seagate drive manager icon in the system tray indicated that it could not find any drives. The FreeAgent drive does show up in file explorer. The FreeAgent is a 750GB ext drive. I plugged in a newer Seagate 5TB drive I just purchased, and in a few seconds drive manger found it, sort-of. It's listed as a drive but the capacity is not listed correctly, and the drive "name" and partition info appears to be written using an Asian font of some kind, e.g. Chinese. I tried downloading some files from the Seagate website but so far no luck. Perhaps Seagate needs to produce a Windows 10 compatible version of drive manager?

MyloTcat, Aug 19, 2015
  7. ash55 Win User
    They don't even make a version for Win 8 let along 10 *Sad . I was also having problems with it running on 7

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support.../fa-2.6-master

ash55, Aug 19, 2015
  8. nafplio74 Win User

Have exactly the same problem. Is Seagate offering any solution?

nafplio74, Jan 11, 2016
  9. nyrainman Win User
    I've used Seagate FreeAgent Go on my Windows ME, XP and 7 without any problems. Now, with the purchase of a Windows 10 computer, since my W7 isn't working, the FreeAgent Go external drive can be read by W10, but the Seagate Manager will not recognize that the drive is connected. I would hate to have to use 2 separate drives for backing up computers, so if anyone has any suggestions as to why W10 and FreeAgent Go are not compatible, please share your fix.

Thanks!

nyrainman, Apr 23, 2016
  10. ash55 Win User
    I'm now using GFI backup. It's free and does a good job. I found no fix to use FreeAgent with W10

ash55, Apr 23, 2016
  11. nyrainman Win User
    Thank you, I will look into it.

Does GFI backup files in their original format or does it use its own? For example, older backup software used its own format (extensions) and without the software, you weren't able to read the files. With Seagate, files were transferred in their original format, which gave you the options to drag & drop back and forth as needed, even though the FreeAgent Go software didn't work in Win10.

Also, have you or anyone tried the Win10 FileHistory backup? I did and it transfers files in their original format, so that is another option.

Any additional input is appreciated.

Thank you!

nyrainman, Apr 23, 2016
  12. ash55 Win User
    Yes GFI does save in the original format. I did look a W10 backup by it doesn't give as many options as GFI for my liking.

ash55, Apr 25, 2016
  13. nyrainman Win User

One other question - I backup a couple computers and when I was able to use FreeAgent, it recognized the computer and knew which backup settings to use and where to place the backup files.

Does GFI do this?

Will it recognized the computers it is backing up, or does it dump all backup files together, which would combine both computer backs?

Thanks ~

nyrainman, May 1, 2016
  14. BRU
    bru Win User
    I just upgraded my third computer to Windows 10. This is my desktop which has a FreeAgent Go external drive connected for backing up files. Immediately after the upgrade I could see that Seagate Manager could not find the drive. The drive is recognized by the computer. I did some troubleshooting but I can not get the Seagate Manager software to "see" the FreeAgent Go drive. Not surprisingly Device Manager shows the drive working properly.

For me the problem is somewhat moot since I do not use the Seagate backup software instead I use the built in Windows Backup program. To my relief the next scheduled backup ran as expected and files were copied properly on to the FreeAgent Go.

The obsessive compulsive in me would rather have the drive work as it previously did in Windows 7. So if anyone who posted here has any updates please share. It seems a little odd that an external drive from a major player would not work properly in Windows 10. I have another Seagate drive, a FreeAgent GoFlex, so I assume it will behave the same. As long as the computer can see it I will be able to use it for my needs. Also have a WD drive. All of these drives are less than five years old so it makes no sense that these shouldn't work properly.

15. scmyers1 Win User
    [SOLVED] I had the same problem. Apparently it isn’t your computer – it is the old Seagate Manager program that is not compatible. There is a GoFlex Software listed as ”Dashboard and Memeo software for GoFlex Drives - updated for Windows 8” program that works for Windows 10. It will backup your hard drive or whatever you want it to. I have it downloading mine as I type this right now (1/29/2017). It is a Seagate Dashboard and can be downloaded here:

GoFlex Portable | Seagate

scmyers1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Seagate free agent back-up not working - Similar Threads - Seagate free agent

2. Want a Free Back-Up program

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Want a Free Back-Up program: Want a Free Back-Up program that is REAL easy to use as I don't understand alot please. I run Windows 10 Home versionMany thanks and God Bless 180979
  3. Want a Free Back-Up program

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Want a Free Back-Up program: Want a Free Back-Up program that is REAL easy to use as I don't understand alot please. I run Windows 10 Home versionMany thanks and God Bless 180979
  4. Back-up with seagate external harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up with seagate external harddrive: As others before, I got trouble to use my new seagate external hard drive with windows 10 on my laptop. Windows is recognizing the device and I can start the back-up process in Windows. But always I get the message that the back-up has begun. but even so, every time, after...
  5. Seagate back up+ stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate back up+ stopped working: Greetings Window Fends, Ok here is what is going on I have a Seagate external+ HD 5t, then two other externals I got from my father that passed away. So while going through the hard drives shuffling what I want what I don't want all of sudden my primary one which is the 5t...
  6. Is talking to an agent free?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is talking to an agent free?: I'm trying to reach Microsoft for help with a problem I have. If I clicked on the "call me back" button does it have a charge? I'm also curious if this agent/s was the same from calling my region from this...
  7. SSD Drive Seagate Expansion not working and not showing up

SSD Drive Seagate Expansion not working and not showing up: hi all I need a very big help here please if you can see I have a big problem can't be solve at all [ATTACH] I try to initialize the disk but it wont work too and give me an unknown size cause my Disk has only 1TB [ATTACH] any easy way to fix this awful day pls ??...
  8. back up files to free up space

back up files to free up space: My computer can't install updates because it doesn't have any space on C. I purchased a seagate back up drive but I'm not sure haow to move files to the new drive. I keep getting a message about xbox but I don't have that....
  9. Back-Up Not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back-Up Not Working: After one of these updates in October (of 2018), I can no longer do a back-up of my files to my thumb drive. I have plenty of room on my thumb drive. All I get is an endless "backing up your files" message, with no end in sight. And when the process finally "stops", all I...
  10. Seagate Free Agent

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate Free Agent: I have a Seagate Free Agent 500gb, can it be used as a Flash Drive to burn the ISO to? the agent has been wiped clean of every thing. 97761