Windows 10: Seagate & Western Digital external drives not accessible on Windows 10 PC & Laptop

Discus and support Seagate & Western Digital external drives not accessible on Windows 10 PC & Laptop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have two external drives that I use for both my laptop and PC. One is a Seagate and the other Western Digital. They are accessible on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PaulaStovall1, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Seagate & Western Digital external drives not accessible on Windows 10 PC & Laptop

Hello,

I have two external drives that I use for both my laptop and PC. One is a Seagate and the other Western Digital. They are accessible on my laptop I use for work. I have not changed anything in regards to settings on my personal laptop and PC prior to having the issue. I had some Windows updates that were installed on 9/9/20 KB4576484, KB890830 & KB4574727. It was round that time that I began having this issue. I contracted Western Digital to resolve the issue. I followed the steps they gave me and I still cannot access the drives. I did notice today that the driver for the Seagate drive was not shown under "Add or Remove programs". I didn't see one for the Western Digital drive either. I am not sure how the drivers got removed.

Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

:)

PaulaStovall1, Sep 20, 2020
  2. pparks1 Win User

portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build?

It's funny, i noted earlier how I had never had either a Seagate or a Western Digital fail, well when I got home today my son told me the external hard drive on the Xbox One died. Sure enough, Seagate 2TB drive was dead. It was only about 6 weeks old, Seagate is replacing it.

pparks1, Sep 20, 2020
  3. themtnerd Win User
    Windows 10 Fall Creator Update Kills Seagate's Backup Plus External Hard Drive

What a coincidence...? Windows 10 Fall Creator updates Sunday/Monday. My Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive appears to have died - lights are on, engine is running but it's not accessible from my hard drive. (Yes, we looked at the Disk Management
    system.)

Happened to have a brand new Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive handy, so I restored from backup but also ordered a couple Western Digital drives (have one working on the system now), so I can then transfer the restored data to the WD drive. PC is
    on almost 24/7 for two days restoring the backup. Done Wednesday.

Contact Seagate about the initial hard drive problem. We reboot the PC a couple times, testing stuff out and the drive is declared dead. I've now got my Western Digital drives, getting ready to transfer the restored data because I'm not so sure about the
    reliability of the Seagate drive. NOW, the second Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive with the restored data won't work!! This is not right. Two drives die within days of the Windows 10 Fall Creator update? There may be a problem with the hardware
    but not like that.

We connect the hard drives to my husband's laptop which is running Windows 7 and VOILA! The drives are working.

How likely is it that, along with trashing the HP Laserjet 1200 driver and the Windows DVD player software on my laptop, Windows 10 Fall Creator has also trashed the driver for the Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive?

I told the tech at Seagate that she better run this up the flag pole fast or it's going to cost Seagate a pile of $$$ from the Seagate Backup Plus users who think their drives are dead and in need of data restoration. I hope she took me VERY, VERY SERIOUSLY.

Has Microsoft screwed up Seagate big time??

themtnerd, Sep 20, 2020
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Seagate & Western Digital external drives not accessible on Windows 10 PC & Laptop

portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build?

The "other member" I was thinking of has spoken! Seagate & Western Digital external drives not accessible on Windows 10 PC & Laptop :) Tks, simrick.......

f14tomcat, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

Seagate & Western Digital external drives not accessible on Windows 10 PC & Laptop

1. Seagate & Western Digital external drives not accessible on Windows 10 PC & Laptop - Similar Threads - Seagate Western Digital

2. Western Digital My Book 1230 External Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Western Digital My Book 1230 External Drive Not Recognized: Ok I have googled and tried tons of suggestions for a solution and nothing has worked. My WD External HD makes the connecting noise when I plug it in, but doesn't show up in My Computer.It is in Device Manager, but not Disk Management it showed up once there but I couldn't do...
  3. Western Digital My Book 1230 External Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Western Digital My Book 1230 External Drive Not Recognized: Ok I have googled and tried tons of suggestions for a solution and nothing has worked. My WD External HD makes the connecting noise when I plug it in, but doesn't show up in My Computer.It is in Device Manager, but not Disk Management it showed up once there but I couldn't do...
  4. Western Digital My Book 1230 External Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 PC not recognising the external Seagate Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 PC not recognising the external Seagate Drive: i plug this seagate drive in a blut tooth external connection. But the PC doesnt recognise the drive.. it recognises other drives but not this one...
  6. wd16000b14 ffa western digital extERNAL HD

wd16000b14 ffa western digital extERNAL HD: wd16000b14 ffa western digital extERNAL HD ISNT RECOGNIZED BY WIN 10 any one know why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd16000b14-ffa-western-digital-external-hd/1e14ef1c-e436-4047-ac8d-77fed65479dc
  7. Win 10 Laptop cannot access Western Digital Nas Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 Laptop cannot access Western Digital Nas Drive: In our home we have multiple computers of various ages most running windows 7 home and pro, iphones, ipads, we have a central western digital nas drive that we store a majority of files on and we access those from each computer ipad, iphone even my macbook pro can see and...
  8. Western Digital Drive no go

Western Digital Drive no go: I have a WD Caviar Blue 500Gb sata drive mounted in a Digitus USB enclosure. This drive has been working fine until I installed Windows 10. Now I get a message that the drive failed to enumerate, (Code 35). C an anybody help please? 18449
  9. portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build?

portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build?: Old question looks like never have an answer. Portable hard drive, Seagate or Western digit, 2.5 , of better quality build? lasting longer, more durable? or clinically a matter of luck only? 90754
  10. Lost access to Seagate external usb drive

Lost access to Seagate external usb drive: Went through my worst week ever with Windows since I built my 1st PC in the Win 3.11 days. For a week almost I was restoring and re-restoring various Win 10 Acronis tibs because my system kept locking up with the little circle spinning at start up or shut down...pretty much...