Windows 10: Search and Save Problems

Discus and support Search and Save Problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm not tech savvy nor do I pretend to understand much of the content in this forum; however, I'm trying really hard to like Windows 10 (Edge) and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vicky, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Vicky Win User

Search and Save Problems

I'm not tech savvy nor do I pretend to understand much of the content in this forum; however, I'm trying really hard to like Windows 10 (Edge) and think I'm missing something. I came from Win7 and have spent the last three days using Windows 10. I do a lot of research and loved the fact I could highlight a word or phrase, RC on search "Google" and have instant results. In addition, if I wanted to save something to the desktop....RC and save to desktop...very simple. Am I correct in thinking I now need several convoluted steps to get the same things done if I can do them at all? I know I can use a different search engine and get the job done but Edge is reputed to be faster. Sparing me technical explanations...why change what worked so well for so many people? Will these options be available with Edge in the future? Please let me know if I'm totally missing something here.

Thanks.

:)

Vicky, Aug 19, 2015

2. start menu stopped working

Cannot get start menu to pop up. Worked till yesterday, now won't. Turned off computer and back on - still won't work

problems-problems, Aug 19, 2015
  3. JediSQL Win User
    How Do I Use a Windows Explorer Saved Search?

OK, I found the problem. The problem is that Windows 10.1511 does not properly store this search argument:

*{*} (asterisk, left brace, asterisk, right brace).

I tried all sorts of things, and it seems that when a search argument contains a left brace, {, the Saved Search fails. Just my luck that the very first search argument that I ever tried to save as a Saved Search is one that Windows glitches on. The search
    argument works correctly when first entered, it just doesn't save properly.

I found a Windows 7 "Advanced tips for searching in Windows" article*. I was looking to see whether braces were special characters for search. That page did not indicate that braces are special characters. However, it provided the info that allowed me
    to rephrase my search argument as:

System.FileName:~="{" AND System.FileName:~="}"

When I searched with that and saved the search, the Saved Search then worked.

*http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Advanced-tips-for-searching-in-Windows

Moderator, please mark this as the answer.

JediSQL, Aug 19, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

Search and Save Problems

If you prefer Internet Explorer you can find it in all apps-Windows Accessories.

Thema:

Search and Save Problems

1. Search and Save Problems - Similar Threads - Search Save Problems

2. Save as problem!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save as problem!: When ever i want to save a new file it forces me to replace it with another file i already had, how can i change it to make ONLY a new file and instead of replacing one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-as-problem/cff7b24b-8f90-46fc-9a98-8daed233f261
  3. Problem Save a search windows 10 with two "*"

Problem Save a search windows 10 with two "*": Hello, I have a problem with the Windows 10 search, when I carry out a search with two "*", for example "*Win*doc" I have the correct answers to my search. However if I save this search and run it via the save icon, it no longer works. I hope you can help me. Thanks...
  4. Microsoft Explorer - Saved searches - problem accessing files

Microsoft Explorer - Saved searches - problem accessing files: Hi, I have an issue in Microsoft Explorer. In Quick Access I save frequently used search queries under "saved searches". The saved searches works without problem e.g. it displays a series of pdf-files in a series of folders ranked by of creation, but when I click on each...
  5. Saved search

Saved search: Just did a fresh install of Win10 and updated. I can access files on all drives through windows search. If I save the search and try to access files in the results I get "the directory name is invalid". This affects all of my hard drives and network drives. Any ideas?...
  6. Saving Search Breaks Search

Saving Search Breaks Search: This is Win 10 question. Just recently saved searches on explorer for pdf filed result in an invalid directory error. Word files work OK. If I do a search from explorer for pdf it works. If I save and run again I get the error. I have tried saving it in different...
  7. problems saving

problems saving: my computer sees me per settings as WINDOWS PRO. All working files MS Office are read only and it tells me i am not administrator. Have i been hacked and how do i fix it?...
  8. Problems with "Save results of C Drive search".

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with "Save results of C Drive search".: I'm using the Search facility a lot at the moment as I'm setting up a new laptop. There are two problems - (1) the "Save results doesn't work" and (2) if there are say ten results, I'll click on the first one and if it's not what I'm searching for, I have to look at the...
  9. Open/Save/Save As problem

Open/Save/Save As problem: Since the end of June, it appears that no program (MS or 3rd party) will Open, Save, or Save As files. Other file functions such as Export are still working - at least for now....
  10. Save a Search in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Save a Search in Windows 10: How to: Save a Search in Windows 10 How to Save a Search in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 offers you many ways to search for files on your PC. One way is using the Search Box in File Explorer to search only in the current folder, or search in the current...