Windows 10: Search and start menu not working at all - Cannot Restore/Rollback

Discus and support Search and start menu not working at all - Cannot Restore/Rollback in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; If I click on search on the taskbar nothing happens. If I go into the start menu and start scrolling to find an app that I want to use the start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BrendanWatts1, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Search and start menu not working at all - Cannot Restore/Rollback

If I click on search on the taskbar nothing happens. If I go into the start menu and start scrolling to find an app that I want to use the start menu refreshes and does not open my app. I have to open the app by going into the store If it's a Microsoft app; Otherwise I have to open apps by going into my pc/os and through programs and activate the exe. I cannot do a system restore as I get an error 0x80071ac5 about one drive. I have since deleted one drive and tried again but still, I cannot restore. I am on Windows 10 2004 and I cannot roll back in settings as I am passed the 10 days limit. This is a 2-month-old Asus Vivobook laptop - So u can add that to the list of computers that Windows 2004 doesn't like.

:)

BrendanWatts1, Jul 8, 2020

2. start button Inoperative search partially working no rollback help

I foolishly upgraded to 10 from 7HP OA 64bit at the begining of the month and all appeared fine except for occasional unexplained desktop background changes until yesterday.
    Suddenly the start menu dissappeared and search did not work.
    On line info suggested this was common and suggested a fix using powershell
    Fix failed
    With no start menu I struggled to access restore or similar options
    Found access to restore and selected most recent retore failed and no boot
    Several Blue Screens later and promises to repair etc non of the restore points were viable. I had no boot
    Following on screen suggestions I tried Reset ...... Failed due to Cortana problem ???? said Boot device inacessable etc etc
    Eventually found access to safemode and managed to boot and restore worked on third attempt.
    Roll back to win 7 failed due to all folders in win old being empty or deleted by MS before the month was up
    Still no solution to start menu or search cannot rollback and cannot download an ISO as Gateway/acer product key will not verify
    No Cortana because it is now not available for english english and no edge as I cannot find it and no other apps
    I have a broken system but I have managed to restore some functionality although it is very slow.
    Some one suggested a conflict with Avast so have removed Avast and Defender is running

Advice will be gratefully received
    Thanks
    Dave

aislingean, Jul 8, 2020
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jul 8, 2020
  4. carolWK Win User

Search and start menu not working at all - Cannot Restore/Rollback

WINDOWS 10 START MENU and SEARCH STOPPED WORKING - FIXED all -- BUT APPS DISAPPEARED...

• AUG 24, 2015:
    • START MENU and SEARCH stopped working --(AND many items on the task bar disappeared or stopped working). Also the apps were no longer accessible.
    • To fix, I tried all the fixes suggested by MS support that I found in the answers to others with the same problem--but none of it worked.
    • I FIXED THE PROBLEM by using RESTORE ...(YAY!!!)... and restored my system to the state it was in before the last update I had received.
    • It took forever.. (I went to bed and let it run overnight) BUT IT WORKED! EVERYTHING IS WORKING: start menu, search, etc. etc. Everything was back and working except for the APPS... no apps appeared in the start menu and the 'app store' icon was still
      missing from the task bar.
    • After all was restored, I did a Windows 10 UPDATE, to get back the updates that were removed when i did a system restore--everything worked out fine!
    • HOWEVER, all the APPS were still missing
      from the start menu and the MS APP STORE icon is still missing from the task bar.
    • BUT I am able to add apps back to the computer (and to the start menu) one by one.
    • ...... Anyone know of a way to restore all the apps to my computer and restore the "Store" icon back to my task bar?

carolWK, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

Search and start menu not working at all - Cannot Restore/Rollback

1. Search and start menu not working at all - Cannot Restore/Rollback - Similar Threads - Search start menu

2. Start menu, Search bar & Microsoft Edge all not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu, Search bar & Microsoft Edge all not working.: I've been working on a computer since yesterday and have had some huge issues trying to update it Windows 10 22H2. I ultimately decided it isn't worth the hassle for now and stopped the service wuauserv so it will stop trying to install anything.Now the problem is that the...
  3. Start menu, Search bar & Microsoft Edge all not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu, Search bar & Microsoft Edge all not working.: I've been working on a computer since yesterday and have had some huge issues trying to update it Windows 10 22H2. I ultimately decided it isn't worth the hassle for now and stopped the service wuauserv so it will stop trying to install anything.Now the problem is that the...
  4. Start menu search not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search not working?: Hello! I discovered a few days ago that my start menu/task bar search menu no longer works. When I click either, I am unable to type. Additionally, I have noticed that when I open the start menu, I no longer have any 'recommended's on display:Does anyone have a guess as to...
  5. Start menu search not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu search not working?: Hello! I discovered a few days ago that my start menu/task bar search menu no longer works. When I click either, I am unable to type. Additionally, I have noticed that when I open the start menu, I no longer have any 'recommended's on display:Does anyone have a guess as to...
  6. Start Menu Not Working (but Search Works)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Not Working (but Search Works): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/6lackWRLD [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m5ko3y/start_menu_not_working_but_search_works/
  7. start menu search not working

in Cortana
    start menu search not working: Hello, The start menu search has stopped working, please help me fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-search-not-working/17d1856e-511b-4649-b2e3-d3d4c1fc1e52
  8. Start Menu Search not working

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search not working: Hello, I have updated latest feature windows version 2004 in June. After this feature update my start menu searching is not worked and it is little bit slow. Could you please help me with this issue ? Regards, Bhavesh...
  9. Start Menu Search Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Search Not Working: When I search for files using the regular Windows Explorer when in a folder it works fine. When I press the windows key and type something it now shoes completely empty. I have tried a lot of things within Windows to fix this such as rebuilding the index for search but that...
  10. Start Menu Search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search not working: When I start my computer, my Start Menu Search sometimes gets stuck in a start up or searching loop. The start menu itself works if I am just using my mouse to click icons. The issue is hitting the Windows button on my keyboard and typing. What is strange is that when...