Windows 10: Search applications when pressing Windows key?

Discus and support Search applications when pressing Windows key? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 7/8/8.1 I would press the Start/Windows button and start typing the name of a program (ie: Firefox, Word, etc) and it would pop up, learn,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mvalpreda, Jul 17, 2015.

1. mvalpreda Win User

Search applications when pressing Windows key?

In Windows 7/8/8.1 I would press the Start/Windows button and start typing the name of a program (ie: Firefox, Word, etc) and it would pop up, learn, and as I did the same thing in the future.....I would just press Windows key, type wor, and Word would pop up and I press enter. Don't need to take my hands off the keyboard.

Windows 10 does not do that. I type Word and get Wordpad. I type Firefox and get 'Download Firefox - Free web browser', Secure (for SecureCRT) give me 'SecureCRT (file folder)', even though these apps are installed. Is there a way to put the apps in the search?

:)

mvalpreda, Jul 17, 2015
  2. Remonator Win User

Search doesn't open results when pressing Enter

Hey Abdul,

thanks for your reply.

First off, I'm happy to say that for me the issue could be solved by putting the PC to sleep, wake it and then it was fine again, even after restarting it didn't appear again so far... strange.

Before that I tried using the troubleshooter but it wasn't of any help because there is no such issue listed, and after providing a brief description it didn't find a solution.

No, it was not only Microsoft Office applications though, it happened also with other apps like calculator (e.g. typing "calc") or weather, Thunderbird, etc.

I've had some problems with my graphic card a few days before why I had to shut down and unplug the PC several times... Perhaps it could be related to this?

Anyways, regards and thanks for your help!

Remonator, Jul 17, 2015
  3. Search doesn't open results when pressing Enter

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and your efforts towards resolving it.

I will certainly help you.

• Is the issue confined with Microsoft Office applications?
    Let us run Search and Indexing troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X on the keyboard.
    • Click on Control panel.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Control panel
      search box.
    • Click on Troubleshooting and click on View all.
    • Click on Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jul 17, 2015
  4. RumHound Win User

Ensure Included Locations in Control Panel, Indexing Options includes Start Menu. Select Advanced, Rebuild to ensure the index is current and optimum.

RumHound, Jul 18, 2015
  5. mvalpreda Win User
    No dice. Rebuilt it twice. This is going to bug me.

mvalpreda, Jul 19, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Windows does in fact do that... By default you get other search results as well, but if you have the app installed, it will show it in the search results. Are you using the latest version? Because there were a number of builds where this functionality did not work well.

Mystere, Jul 19, 2015
  7. mvalpreda Win User
    Should be 10240.

Have no problem getting other search results. Just want the applications first. 7/8/8.1 were like that.

mvalpreda, Jul 19, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

Well, don't know what to tell you, it works fine here. You may have to reinstall, which.. if you didn't save the esd file, might mean waiting until MS makes the ISO available.

Mystere, Jul 19, 2015
  9. See if this settings change helps.

Press the Taskbar Cortana search icon (magnifying glass) or however you normally launch Cortana, then
    press the gear (settings) on the left hand side
    Slide Search online and include web results to OFF

Search applications when pressing Windows key? [​IMG]

The results seem to be from the start menu, but I haven't tested an everywhere search yet. Still, it is better than getting web results when you only want results from your PC.

+edit
    When I used Word as the search string this is what I got back - wordpad is first, but it also includes Word 2016 as the next result.

Search applications when pressing Windows key? [​IMG]
    -edit

You can also navigate to the All users Start menu and pin the Win8 style search to Start or Taskbar ... for some reason though Windows keeps removing that icon.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Search.lnk

Or.... paste the following into the Target field of the new shortcut.
    %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe -sta {C90FB8CA-3295-4462-A721-2935E83694BA}

Slartybart, Jul 19, 2015
  10. mvalpreda Win User
    Turned off all that on Cortana and now going to rebuild the index. I would only get 'Desktop app' results and not get 'Apps' as an option.

mvalpreda, Jul 19, 2015
  11. Ok, just thought of something ... make sure that both the All Users Start menu is indexed (it should be), and your personal Start menu is indexed (usually not because it's in AppData)

So if the shortcuts applications you want to search (WinKey type name) are installed in your Start menu, they probably won't be found. You could look first (right click hte Start menu tile, select open file location) ... or ...

add
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

to your index options. To use the new location sooner, rebuild the index, or wait a few hours and let the crawler pick up the new entries in it's rounds.

Slartybart, Jul 19, 2015
  12. mvalpreda Win User
    Everything I care about it is in %programdata%\microsoft\windows\start menu which appears to be in the indexing already.

mvalpreda, Jul 19, 2015
  13. Rocky Win User

I just tried this on several different apps, including Word and Google Chrome. This feature works on my computer.

Rocky, Jul 19, 2015
  14. Ok, thanks ... has the index been rebuilt do the search results include Apps now?

A screen shot might help
    Seeing what you see always helps members on this side of your monitor.
    Here's how you can grab a screen shot that shows the issue and attach it to a new post.
    Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Slartybart, Jul 19, 2015
  15. mvalpreda Win User
    It is in the middle of indexing now. There are a lot of items to get through!

mvalpreda, Jul 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Search applications when pressing Windows key? - Similar Threads - Search applications pressing

2. f4 key is getting pressed when im pressing other keys.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    f4 key is getting pressed when im pressing other keys.: When I am pressing keys like G, H, backspace, escape, F7, F11, *, ', numpad 8.... F4 key is getting pressed. Which is causing lot of issues while typing and using file explorer. Whenever i press the mentioned keys address bar of file explorer or any browser is opening itself...
  3. f4 key is getting pressed when im pressing other keys.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    f4 key is getting pressed when im pressing other keys.: When I am pressing keys like G, H, backspace, escape, F7, F11, *, ', numpad 8.... F4 key is getting pressed. Which is causing lot of issues while typing and using file explorer. Whenever i press the mentioned keys address bar of file explorer or any browser is opening itself...
  4. When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...: When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it makes the function of “windows” key. What can I do?...
  5. When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...: When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it makes the function of “windows” key. What can I do?...
  6. Window switch when pressing 1 key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Window switch when pressing 1 key: So this is weird and something I've never seen before. First, the details: Windows 10 Pro (1803 and yes, I know, I need to get it to 1909). Basically I run powershell sometimes to do a lot of my AD work. Setting out of office, creating accounts, etc... What's weird is that...
  7. Arrow key acts as it's pressed up only on windows applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Arrow key acts as it's pressed up only on windows applications: I'm having an issue where my arrow key is acting like it's constantly being pressed up several times per second. What's really odd is that it only happens in windows OS apps, such as the start menu, control panel, or on my pinned applications as in the attached picture....
  8. Windows application false key press / intermittent scrolling

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows application false key press / intermittent scrolling: So out of the blue last night my PC is acting as if the up arrow key is being spammed, so in windows 10 applications, such as right clicking on a program on the taskbar, opening the start menu, windows settings, it will continually scroll up. Here is an example of what I...
  9. Windows key search never returns applications

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows key search never returns applications: Hey all, I cannot figure this one out. In the past I have used the windows key and then would type the name of the application and it would find it and I could run it that way. However, with Win10 that appears to have vanished. I only get options to search the web. Anyone...
  10. Tones When Pressing Keys

in Windows 10 Support
    Tones When Pressing Keys: Intermittently, when I press some keys on the keyboard, I would hear a triple-tone from Windows 10. Nothing would happen, but the three tones have progressively lower pitch, immediately followed by a four-tone signal, which have progressively higher pitch. This is the same...