Windows 10: Search applications when pressing Windows key?

Discus and support Search applications when pressing Windows key? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ok, thanks - post what you get in the search results (WinKey - type app name) after it has completed indexing. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mvalpreda, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Search applications when pressing Windows key?

ok, thanks - post what you get in the search results (WinKey - type app name) after it has completed indexing.

Slartybart, Jul 19, 2015
  2. mvalpreda Win User

Conflicting info. Grrrr

Search applications when pressing Windows key? [​IMG]

mvalpreda, Jul 20, 2015
  3. Mystere Win User
    You are excluding users start menu...

Mystere, Jul 20, 2015
  4. mvalpreda Win User

Search applications when pressing Windows key?

The only folder not selected was c:\users\mark\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu.....and there is nothing I care about in there. Only a couple of built-in Windows programs from the default profile creation.

In either case, it is not excluded now. It still says 'We're getting search ready...'

mvalpreda, Jul 20, 2015
  5. ok thanks - Cortana needs to percolate it's own database ... or you could turn it off.

I'd let it perc over night and if there's still an issue in the morning, try shutting down Cortana.

Settings > Privacy > Speech, Inking, Typing
    [ Stop getting to know me ] button : press it to stop Cortana collection
    [ Get to know me ] button : means it's already off

The only other thing I can think of is to run two system file repair commands if you're still not having any success. Both take a while to run - plan accordingly.

In an elevated Command Prompt (right click, Run as administrtor ...

sfc /ScanNow

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Please let members know if there are any errors reported in the Cmd window for either command.

Slartybart, Jul 20, 2015
  6. mvalpreda Win User
    Everything is clean. Still says 'We're getting search ready...' Turning off the 'Getting to know you' in hopes that it helps.

mvalpreda, Jul 20, 2015
  7. ok thanks - both SFC and dism came back clean - that's a good thang *Wink

Keep posting updates - maybe one of these suggestions will help ... or someone will come along and say "Great feedback, here's the solution or a workaround"

Slartybart, Jul 20, 2015
  8. mvalpreda Win User

I am rebuilding the index again. What is interesting is that the 'We're getting search ready...' never seems to go away.

mvalpreda, Jul 20, 2015
  9. mvalpreda Win User
    Wow....though no small miracle it seems to be working. I guess the 5th rebuild is a charm. Now I can actually use this!!!

Seriously, this would have irked me to no end. I never take my hands off the keyboard if I can help it.

mvalpreda, Jul 21, 2015
  10. Good news Mark ... it still says We're getting search ready ... but at least it is functioning as it should.

Interesting that your results show Word first and mine show WordPad first - oh well, not going to worry about that.

When you get the chance, please mark this thread Solved - thanks

Bill

Slartybart, Jul 21, 2015
  11. opam Win User
    I'm having search totally empty. Nothing happens (search window opens, but nothing more) when I press Windows-key and write something. It used to work perfectly OK, then yesterday I noticed that it didn't find any apps anymore. Now it can't find nothing.

I have rebuilt index three times today. It can find text from my documents from Explorer, but nothing from search in task bar.

I live in Finland and Cortana is not available here and also online search tells it's not supported here.

I have build 10240 and all patches installed. I have rebooted after latest patch and keep my Computer swithed off all night, so two boots today already.

This is very annoying because I have started for instance Excel for years By pressing Windows key and typing "exc" and enter. That's gone now.

12. opam Win User
    Miracles happen! All my troubles (with this one) are gone. Suddenly apps are found again. So, all good for now.

Thank you

Thema:

1. Search applications when pressing Windows key? - Similar Threads - Search applications pressing

2. f4 key is getting pressed when im pressing other keys.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    f4 key is getting pressed when im pressing other keys.: When I am pressing keys like G, H, backspace, escape, F7, F11, *, ', numpad 8.... F4 key is getting pressed. Which is causing lot of issues while typing and using file explorer. Whenever i press the mentioned keys address bar of file explorer or any browser is opening itself...
  3. f4 key is getting pressed when im pressing other keys.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    f4 key is getting pressed when im pressing other keys.: When I am pressing keys like G, H, backspace, escape, F7, F11, *, ', numpad 8.... F4 key is getting pressed. Which is causing lot of issues while typing and using file explorer. Whenever i press the mentioned keys address bar of file explorer or any browser is opening itself...
  4. When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...: When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it makes the function of “windows” key. What can I do?...
  5. When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...: When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it makes the function of “windows” key. What can I do?...
  6. Window switch when pressing 1 key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Window switch when pressing 1 key: So this is weird and something I've never seen before. First, the details: Windows 10 Pro (1803 and yes, I know, I need to get it to 1909). Basically I run powershell sometimes to do a lot of my AD work. Setting out of office, creating accounts, etc... What's weird is that...
  7. Arrow key acts as it's pressed up only on windows applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Arrow key acts as it's pressed up only on windows applications: I'm having an issue where my arrow key is acting like it's constantly being pressed up several times per second. What's really odd is that it only happens in windows OS apps, such as the start menu, control panel, or on my pinned applications as in the attached picture....
  8. Windows application false key press / intermittent scrolling

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows application false key press / intermittent scrolling: So out of the blue last night my PC is acting as if the up arrow key is being spammed, so in windows 10 applications, such as right clicking on a program on the taskbar, opening the start menu, windows settings, it will continually scroll up. Here is an example of what I...
  9. Windows key search never returns applications

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows key search never returns applications: Hey all, I cannot figure this one out. In the past I have used the windows key and then would type the name of the application and it would find it and I could run it that way. However, with Win10 that appears to have vanished. I only get options to search the web. Anyone...
  10. Tones When Pressing Keys

in Windows 10 Support
    Tones When Pressing Keys: Intermittently, when I press some keys on the keyboard, I would hear a triple-tone from Windows 10. Nothing would happen, but the three tones have progressively lower pitch, immediately followed by a four-tone signal, which have progressively higher pitch. This is the same...