Windows 10: Search bar in start and explorer not working / not clickable

Discus and support Search bar in start and explorer not working / not clickable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello guys, I'm new on the forum since i just got win 10. I know there are plenty of posts about search bar problems but non of the solutions helped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sarama, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Sarama Win User

Search bar in start and explorer not working / not clickable

Hello guys,
    I'm new on the forum since i just got win 10. I know there are plenty of posts about search bar problems but non of the solutions helped yet.

So the search stopped working completely so that i can't even click on the bar on either the task bar or in explorer, just nothing happens. The only things i was doing directly before is to try disabling cortana web search with some registry entries, which i deemed not related to basic search and restricting some privacy options but i don't think they can break the search.
    the entry is:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
    "AllowCortana"=dword:00000000

i tried to change it back to 1 but still doesnt work after restart

After those i changed earlier it still worked:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search]
    "BingSearchEnabled"=dword:00000000
    "CortanaConsent"=dword:00000000

I tried this check with powershell Get-Process SearchUI | Stop-Process –Force
    interestingly this gave an error with "no process found with name SearchUI"

So I tried a suggestion to reinstall cortana with
    Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    which seems to be successfull but has no effect on the problem.

other things i tried:
    -windows troubleshooting
    -windows search service is active
    -rebuilt index
    -sfc scan

so it seems to me the problem is with the SearchUI process, hopefully someone already has enough experience with all the search problems *Biggrin
    thanks for reading!

:)

Sarama, Dec 22, 2019

2. Start menu search items not clickable

This has been mentioned a lot and even though I'm constantly forced to update with a count down or scheduling reminder (I've seen posts of supposedly how to disable automatic updates however never had the time to investigate doing it myself but not happy
    about how difficult the process is to disable it in W10P) I still don't see this problem getting addressed.

Problem: Search in start menu for random items result in un-clickable items. For example, type "remove" and the "Add or remove Programs" and "Uninstall a Program" options are listed at the top as one would expect but clicking on them does nothing.

Search bar in start and explorer not working / not clickable 3fcbe912-6637-4bb5-adf9-66201278cb39.jpg

Solution: Type "control" and the "Control Panel" option is listed and IS clickable. Then go to the sub option within the explorer control panel window.

Question: Why list items in the search result if they are not accessible? Is this intuitive? No.

Machine specific? Before suggesting this is a broken install it might help to know I can reproduce this on every W10 machine I've ever worked on of which exist in totally different environments, some were W8 upgrades...some were clean installs.

pingram3541, Dec 22, 2019
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Search bar in start and explorer not working / not clickable

search does not work in task bar. DOES work in File Explorer

Task bar search does not work and I have tried all of the recommended steps. Had to recently reinstall Windows 10 64b (preserved personal data) and the search has not worked since.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thx

John Vacheresse, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

Search bar in start and explorer not working / not clickable

1. Search bar in start and explorer not working / not clickable - Similar Threads - Search bar start

2. start menu search bar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu search bar not working: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or any app it just keep reloading and...
  3. Search Bar and Explorer not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Bar and Explorer not working: Two days ago I was navigating through my files then out of nowhere the Explorer crashed, I tried to open it again only for it to crash seconds after opening the folder again. While trying to fix the problem I also discovered that my Search Bar closed before I was able to type...
  4. Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working

in Cortana
    Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working: I noticed that the search bar in the start menu and in the file explorer isn't working 2 weeks from using the clipboard feature Windows+V on two of my devices which makes my life so hard, I can paste text in it but can't type in it I did the power shell solution it worked for...
  5. start button and search bar not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    start button and search bar not working: dear sir respectfully i beg to say that after purchase of laptop i face many problem in window 10 i install program and after installation window not working properly. program running after installing and after restart program not work. 8 days working i want to solution...
  6. Start and search bar not working

Start and search bar not working: My start and search bar will not work at random. Sometimes I will turn my laptop on and they will work, sometimes they won't and I need to turn my laptop off and turn it on again. I can still search for programs if I press the Windows key on my keyboard, however, just now I...
  7. Start menu and search bar not working

Start menu and search bar not working: When I click on start menu or search bar nothing happen's, this is the same when I try to use the windows button to open the start menu but it works for other things such as windows + L to lock the screen. This the same across all account's on my computer even if I create new...
  8. Explorer and task Bar search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer and task Bar search not working: Build 1904.338 When I click into the search bar the cursor doesnt appear, a black box briefly appears above and I cannot type. The same happens in the File Explorer search box. After many frustrating googles and many blind allys I am stuck trying to find out if the search...
  9. Search Bar in explorer and task bar not working

in Cortana
    Search Bar in explorer and task bar not working: Hi, The Search Bar in explorer and task bar not working, I've tried every possible solution I could find online and nothing works, any suggestions? Even after the latest update on 15/07/20 the issue was still not resolved, I have been having this issue on and off after...
  10. File Explorer search bar not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search bar not working: I've noticed this issue yesterday. When I try to search something in my File Explorer it looks like it's searching but the green bar seems to go on forever. I left it up for an hour and it was still searching when I came back. I even tried to look for files that I knew were...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer search not clickable

2. explorer search command not clickable

3. search not clickable windows explorer