Windows 10: Search bar in taskbar doesn't work

Discus and support Search bar in taskbar doesn't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have the "Search the web and Windows" bar in my taskbar but I can't type anything into it. If I go to "File Explorer" in the start panel, I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ronnielee09, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Search bar in taskbar doesn't work

I have the "Search the web and Windows" bar in my taskbar but I can't type anything into it. If I go to "File Explorer" in the start panel, I can search for files.

This worked in the past and I don't know what might have happened to make it stop working.

I'm still getting used to Windows 10 so any help would be greatly appreciated. *Confused

:)

Ronnielee09, Jan 5, 2016

2. My taskbar is not working in Windows 10

<Original Title: My taskbar is not working >

Hello

my windows task bar has nothing on it besides the windows i con and the search bar both of them do not work all of my applications on the task bar are gone and it doesn't show my wifi and the battery

StuartHall_15, Jan 5, 2016
  3. Search on Taskbar covers up icons

So the Search bar on the taskbar covers up half the icons on the taskbar. I have found many people are just switching it to the search icon, but that doesn't really solve the issue, especially if your like me and use the search option a lot. Is there a
    way to shift the icons on the taskbar to the right so the search bar doesn't cover them up? I can't understand why Microsoft designed this option like this. I should be able to resize the search bar and the icons should shift right when it is on. Makes no
    sense. If anyone has ideas (other than turn the bar off and use the magnifying glass icon) I would love to hear them.

batmanintexas, Jan 5, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Search bar in taskbar doesn't work

If you see " Search the web and Windows" bar, it means you have yet to enable Cortana .
    Am I right ?

davidhk, Jan 5, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Please explain what did you mean by..........................
    This worked in the past and I don't know what might have happened to make it stop working.

What "in the past" ?
    You mean you had had a Windows 10 where the same search box was working ?
    If yes, what had happened to that Windows 10 ?

davidhk, Jan 5, 2016
  6. I think I disabled Cortina. I just restarted my computer and now the search box works. The process must have restarted automatically when I rebooted.

Ronnielee09, Jan 5, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Good. Please don't disable Cortana if you want to use the search bar.
    You don't have to use Cortana if you don't want to, but keep it enabled.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Search bar in taskbar doesn't work

1. Search bar in taskbar doesn't work - Similar Threads - Search bar taskbar

2. In Search Bar on Taskbar the actions on Apps doesn't show

in Windows 10 Customization
    In Search Bar on Taskbar the actions on Apps doesn't show: Hello In my windows search bar at the taskbar, the actions on apps dosent appear not even the results from web optionPlease help how to resolve it get it back...
  3. Taskbar buggy / Search bar not working

in Cortana
    Taskbar buggy / Search bar not working: Hello, Since yesterday my taskbar seems to be bugged quite a bit.It's only happening a bit after starting windows up though, when i click on the search bar for example it pops up and closes immediately when i type a single letter into it Here's a Video on how it looks...
  4. Search bar on desktop calendar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search bar on desktop calendar doesn't work: I’ve been unable to use the search bar on the calendar on my Windows 10 desktop (I don’t have issues with the search bar on my Android though). The search bar is there, but it always says that it can’t find any events or reminders, even though I see the event right there when...
  5. Windows 10 Search Bar Doesn't Work.

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Bar Doesn't Work.: When I go to use the windows search bar it closes either automatically or when I type. I have tried a number of fixes but nothing seems to work. It seemed to start happening after I modified my taskbar and I also installed a translucent taskbar application....
  6. Taskbar Search Bar Not Working

in Cortana
    Taskbar Search Bar Not Working: I think after I downloaded Windows 10 2004, my search bar stopped working. Firstly, it's not the full-size search bar anymore. It's just the search icon. I want it to be the full-size search bar, but when I right-click and view the options, there is no option to make it...
  7. Windows search bar doesn't work

in Cortana
    Windows search bar doesn't work: Hi, After installing update on 5th february 2020 my windows search box. I have done everything to solve this including 1many restarts in a row, 2Ending task id searchUI.exe, 3Rebuilding index, 4Powershell Commands, 5Restarting windows search service from services.msc...
  8. Search bar doesn't work in Windows 10

in Cortana
    Search bar doesn't work in Windows 10: Hello, Search bar search bar located on the left-hand side of taskbar doesn't work in Windows 10. I ran chkdsk, DISM and Search and Indexing in troubleshooting but my problem still exists. [ATTACH]...
  9. Start menu, search bar and taskbar software doesn't work after update

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, search bar and taskbar software doesn't work after update: Hello. After the latest update my start menu, search and most of the pinned programs on the taskbar stopped working along with other programs such as VLC media player, Google Chrome. Right clicking on pinned items don't do anything. I can't remove them because of this. I can...
  10. Windows 10 search bar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 search bar doesn't work: I temporarily changed paging file size from system managed size to custom and since then Windows search bar doesn't show any results when I input text. I set it back to system managed, but the problem persists. I tried the commonly suggested solutions like rebuilding...